Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

To carry my bicycle on a scooter

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

To carry my bicycle on a scooter

Old 02-09-12, 04:38 AM
Paolosio
Scottish_Chief

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi there, Its been years since this uber awesome post. I am just about to buy a scooter and need to fathom how i can carry my rd bike on the scooter and also to help me buy the right scooter. I am a rd bike racer and need to transport it to races up to 100mi from my house. Your solution is amazing and the best i have found. Do you have an details/design how you made the platform. Many mnay thanks in advance and in case you get this. Thanks. Paul
Old 05-10-16, 06:42 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 450 Posts
Well, it's now over 5 years since I've used the same setup to carry bicycles on my scooter.

My Chinese scooter now has over 16k miles on the odometer, and I am still using the same rack to carry my bicycle without red flag, LEO never give me any problem and never even had a close call.
While carrying a bicycle on the scooter, motorists tend to see me stand out from other moving traffic.

I have been riding motorcycles for over two decades now, longer with bicycles.. I've learned a few tricks to make myself more visible in traffic even without the extra red flag or reflective gear, simple maneuvering in lane can attract driver's attention without being intrusive.

BTW, I wouldn't want to ride a scooter to carry my bicycle after a grueling road race, much physical effort is required to safely operate a motorized vehicle on street.. especially with the amount of distracted drivers on the road. Every time I stop at a traffic light and look around the drivers, more than often I can see one or two looking at their cell phones.
I know I give it all while racing bicycles, after a race I would need some nice R&R, don't need the extra stress of operating a scooter and watch out for distracted drivers on the road.
Old 05-26-17, 07:45 AM
IDK02

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome of you to give a five year review. Looking into building something similar for my small 50cc.
Old 05-26-17, 08:02 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
For everyone talking about red flags, actually read your state laws. Michigan does not require them until a load projects more than four feet.

EDIT: ZOMBIE THREAD.
Old 05-26-17, 08:04 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by IDK02
Awesome of you to give a five year review. Looking into building something similar for my small 50cc.
Be careful with smaller/lighter weight scooters, with additional weight of a bicycle/rack/gear; that may effect the weight distribution of the scooter, front end (steering performance) of the scooter may greatly change.

Scooter may handle completely different once you have the bicycle mounted on the back.
Just be aware of it when you take it out for a ride the first few miles.
In addition, the higher the speed you travel, aero drag increase can likely effect the handling even more.

I know my 250cc scooter handles differently when I am carrying the bicycle, I should probably put some counterweight across the step-thru part of the scooter, like a 40 lb. bag of furtilizer.

Last edited by cat0020; 12-19-17 at 06:24 PM.
Old 05-26-17, 09:21 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
If you stay on side streets and don't go over 40 or so, I wouldn't worry about the weight. Go to China, Taiwan, Vietnam, or many other Asian countries and see what people carry on scooters. A bicycle is like carrying an extra water bottle in comparison.

I have a Yamaha 125 with a very large top box and have carried 40 pounds in it at max speed, which is about 55. It's a 2001 so has the small wheels and funky old suspension that is nothing like what modern scooters have.
Old 01-30-19, 09:55 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

I grew up in country where 2-wheel vehicles outnumber cars, my 17 y-o older sister would carry me (at 7 y-o) standing on floorboard & my other older sister (at 12 y-o) on passenger seat of a 50cc scooter and zip among a sea of scooters.

My first bicycle was my sister's 3-speed old traditional bike with centerstand, that I stood on non-drive side of the bike within the front triangle, couldn't even pedal full circle to propel forward.
Old 01-30-19, 06:59 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
I tried this in the 1970s with a Honda 350 motorcycle and a 29# Fiorelli 10 speed bike. Mounting it behind the seat wasn't a problem but it changed the weight distribution significantly, seriously reducing the weight on the front tire.. The bike weighed 375 pounds without rider. It was OK on dry roads but I bet it could be downright dangerous on wet roads. The one trip I remember was about 50 miles and speed limits on rural roads was 70 mph. The effect on handling, particularly steering would probably be worse on a lighter scooter.
Old 01-31-19, 05:47 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Originally Posted by mtb_addict
I think motorcycle racks are rated for like just 10 pounds. I remember my Kawasaiki manual says so.

I'd be okay if the road is smooth. But imagine speed bumps, the stress of a highly canterleavered 30-pound bike-&-mount on the rack could be failure inducing on the subframe of the scooter.

The reason that the motorcycle racks are rated so low is because of speed. The higher speed...greater the stress and strain. Bicycle operate at such a low speed...bicycle don't have this problem.

Just don't go fast on speed bumps and go around pot holes.
I've carry far heavier loads on the back of my different motorcycles, maybe more compact in size than a bicycle & rack, but definatly heavier.
I strategically placed my bicycle rack as much forward as possible, without the handlebar of the bike digging into the back of my head.

On the scooter, the rear shocks are mounted near the rear of the scooter, not far in front of the bike rack mounting location,
designed to carry human passenger, much heavier than a bike rack & bicycle:

I can easily carry counterweight to compensate for the weight of the rack/bicycle, large section of floorboard/footrest can easily carry sand/water bag as ballast.

I rarely operate the scooter above 45 mph anyway. The handling difference while carrying a bicycle is easily compensated by just paying attention.

Last edited by cat0020; 01-31-19 at 05:53 AM.