Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

1st Impressions of a cheap folder: Sundeal F1

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

1st Impressions of a cheap folder: Sundeal F1

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-19, 10:19 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 452 Posts
I've modded most if not all of my bikes, too.. for a cheap bike, stuff like seat, grips, stems that allow the bike to be better suited for my riding position and comfort.
Gearing and other performance mods would come once I wear out the OEM items, just to keep the cost of bike down and less waste of unwanted parts, even though I donate plenty of bikes/parts to local Bike Kitchen/Church for rehab bikes.
Origin of bicycles all start from being more efficient, whether you want something to allow more practical transportation than walking or all out racing, and to each purpose, selecting the right tool for the right job simply allows the rider to complete the task easier. Depending on your task, you mod your bike to compromise one way or another.
When OEM gearing is drastically changed; handling and operating conditions change for the bike, it may or may not be out of the range for what the bike is capable.. but on sub $100 folding, I'm getting myself familiar with the bike before I use it outside of its designated operating range from the factory.
Before investing more money/labor into a cheap folding bike, why not ride it as is until something falls apart use it to its factory capability to the max.
Save yourself some money and learn to operate it at its capacity.
Old 02-16-19, 06:32 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 845 Times in 589 Posts
Old 02-17-19, 08:49 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

As if these gif contribute anything to the discussion to support your viewpoint to the discussion?
This thread title is about 1st impression of a cheap folder, nothing about mods to your cheap folder in the title; do you find my posts non-contributing to the topic?
Old 02-17-19, 01:34 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Old 02-17-19, 02:56 PM
Lovespicyfood

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cat0020
Origin of bicycles all start from being more efficient, whether you want something to allow more practical transportation than walking or all out racing, and to each purpose, selecting the right tool for the right job simply allows the rider to complete the task easier. Depending on your task, you mod your bike to compromise one way or another..
When OEM gearing is drastically changed; handling and operating conditions change for the bike, it may or may not be out of the range for what the bike is capable.. but on sub $100 folding, I'm getting myself familiar with the bike before I use it outside of its designated operating range from the factory.
Before investing more money/labor into a cheap folding bike, why not ride it as is until something falls apart use it to its factory capability to the max.
Save yourself some money and learn to operate it at its capacity.
You seem obsessed with this cheap folder being under $100. Would it make you feel better if you knew it was actually a $229 folder?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sundeal-F...-NEW/269327433

I started this thread and I'm tired of your non-sensical "advice" and belittling comments. I'll mod my folder and spend as much $ on it as I feel like. I've been riding bikes and wrenching on them for over 30 years so I'll take that "risk" of changing the gearing on my long and treacherous 1.5 mile commute with this bike .
Old 02-17-19, 03:07 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by Lovespicyfood
You seem obsessed with this cheap folder being under $100. Would it make you feel better if you knew it was actually a $229 folder?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sundeal-F...-NEW/269327433

I started this thread and I'm tired of your non-sensical "advice" and belittling comments. I'll mod my folder and spend as much $ on it as I feel like. I've been riding bikes and wrenching on them for over 30 years so I'll take that "risk" of changing the gearing on my long and treacherous 1.5 mile commute with this bike .
And you have every right to do so. This guy is obsessed with all of us valuing his opinion. I'm all for modding whatever bike is available. My Origami Wasp was $199,...I modded it with the blessing AND assistance of the owner of the company - @Pinigis (Paul). The initial cost of the folding bike was inconsequential. I luv the bike,...modded (with HIGHER GEARING) I it even more.

So, in answer to his question,...no, he doesn't add to the conversation with his small/narrow minded opinion. We luv to mod ALL bikes here.
Old 02-17-19, 03:21 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Just because you're tired of something or you started this thread, doesn't make what I said any less true.
Like I said before, mod your bike anyway you want, doesn't mean that all mods are worth the value or intended usage of the bike.
Wrenching on bike for over 30 years should have you know better about people who might invest more than the bike's worth.. as if for your 1.5 mile commute that extra few mph is really worth the extra money for the gearing mods.
Old 02-18-19, 08:13 AM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

I could care less if you mod your bike the way you want, just pointing out that gearing change to a cheap folding bike is not the most efficient mod.
Old 02-18-19, 09:22 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,464 Posts
Okay, I deleted insults and unnessary arguments from the last couple days. Let’s get this thread back on track without further insults.

Stan
Old 02-18-19, 04:35 PM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
if you can find a used rear wheel with a freehub, or maybe a new one on ebay, you will have some gear flexibility with easy to install cassettes instead of freewheels. look for a double wall rim. ThorUSA has some, and he sometimes has used ones or clearance wheels for folders. some of the other folder builders here might have a scratch and dent rear wheel for cheap.
Old 02-18-19, 04:47 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

The advantage of upgrading the Sundeal folder is that it's an oem bike company. They manufacture folders for other resellers. That means the bike is most likely higher quality than what would normally be purchased for $199. Sounds like upgrade material to me. I believe there's even a thread where it was upgraded.

As for $199 bikes,...here's my Origami Wasp:

I've since put on wellgo folding pedals, maxxis tires, and removed the fenders. The HUGE chainring and new crank arms are from the owner of Origami Bicycles. Totally changed the STOCK gearing. No Safety issues, my legs luv it, very well put together. Very nice,...well worth it TO ME! And an inexpensive upgraders dream,...

Last edited by tds101; 02-18-19 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-18-19, 05:31 PM
Lovespicyfood

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by tds101
The advantage of upgrading the Sundeal folder is that it's an oem bike company. They manufacture folders for other resellers. That means the bike is most likely higher quality than what would normally be purchased for $199. Sounds like upgrade material to me. I believe there's even a thread where it was upgraded.

As for $199 bikes,...here's my Origami Wasp:

I've since put on wellgo folding pedals, maxxis tires, and removed the fenders. The HUGE chainring and new crank arms are from the owner of Origami Bicycles. Totally changed the STOCK gearing. No Safety issues, my legs luv it, very well put together. Very nice,...well worth it TO ME! And an inexpensive upgraders dream,...
Looks NICE! Seems like some good upgrades that have increased your joy of the bike. That's what it's all about, eh?

I think I might try to find a freehub wheel and/or a free hub and maybe re-lace the wheel... I have a truing stand but have never done that before...

I have those Wellgo folding pedals too...way better than the stock plastic folding pedals that came with my bike but they are super heavy...but I guess they'll last forever!
Old 02-18-19, 05:32 PM
Lovespicyfood

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by cocoabeachcrab
if you can find a used rear wheel with a freehub, or maybe a new one on ebay, you will have some gear flexibility with easy to install cassettes instead of freewheels. look for a double wall rim. ThorUSA has some, and he sometimes has used ones or clearance wheels for folders. some of the other folder builders here might have a scratch and dent rear wheel for cheap.
Appreciate your advice! I will check it out!
Old 02-18-19, 08:06 PM
Doc_Wui

Bikes: GT Transeo & a half dozen ebike conversions.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 275 Times in 192 Posts
I guess there are two main thoughts?

Q1: Is it worth tossing away money when you mod something?
Sure. If it's a hobby, why not. You want a faster capability on your folder? Do it, You might never use it, but so what. It's fun, and not a whole lot of money.

Q2: Is the quality of the DNP debateable?
Honest answer? No. I think they are not as good as the cheapest Shimano. When I looked at mine (new), some of the teeth appeared to be shaped different from the others. I rationalize mine because (a) I do wamt the gear inches, and (b) we're not hard riders, standing on the pedals. However, on our next faraway excursion, I'll have a spare Shimano and a freewheel tool in my saddle bags.. Not going to be stranded.

Old 02-19-19, 06:59 AM
cocoabeachcrab 
Myrtle Beach Crab

Bikes: enough one would think, but thinking isn't my strong point

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 214 Posts
the DNP gear teeth might be shaped that way to be shimano hyper glide compatible. maybe.