Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What's the deal with people looking down on old frames?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What's the deal with people looking down on old frames?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-19, 02:20 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
To the OP - wanna fix or even buy my old black and white TV? Well, in my opinion, vintage bikes, to our newer generations, fall into that same category - old, out dated and pretty much useless in an all color, high density media society.

And, for what it is worth, I really like old bicycles and the kids make me chuckle with their inexperience in life, in almost all things. But we all gotta learn.

My first ride, on a too small Trek road bike, lasted less than 100 feet. Why would anyone want to ride this or that when either is just old and silly, when compared to a new mountain bike, or one of those BMX things. But look at me today - built owned and ridden hundreds of vintage road bikes...
Randy, where'd you get that huge white tarp?
Old 05-16-19, 04:47 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by robertorolfo
My spelling was intentional. I always write Cardassians to provide the truly enlightened among us (aka DS9 fans) to identify themselves. You two are now officially in my good graces.

All hail Gul Dukat!
Sounds like the kind of "dissembling" that would make Garak proud....
Old 05-16-19, 06:40 PM
cromagnum

Bikes: a bunch of stuff partial list its becoming a disease 69 Drake 3 spd 87Lotus elan 75, Atala 1988 corsa professionista, Matsuri track kieran bike 1972 astra tour de france

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I have several old 10 speeds and I look at them as pieces of art. The paint decals chrome. I here Atala's weren't the best of bikes at least many people are of that opinion, but to me they are truly fantastic looking. You can't go wrong with the classics.
Old 05-17-19, 08:08 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by KonAaron Snake
The amount of time I spend caring about what others think...

Most of the threads like this don’t match my experiences either - I very rarely hear others criticize someone else’s bike - any comments you hear tend to be positive. Usually folks like crazy old bikes.

Biopace is fine for casual riding...it feels weird over time when you’re really cranking. If you like it, use it. Most people don’t know what it is.
I know what they are, and I don't like them. My High Sierra had one on it, and it slowed me down some. The elipsoid design was to sorta help ones cadence, especially climbing. If you like speed, I'd advise not using it. It's "best" used as a low to midrange crank.
Old 05-17-19, 09:49 PM
Jax Rhapsody
Rhapsodic Laviathan

Bikes: Rideable; 83 Schwinn High Sierra. Two cruiser, bmx bike, one other mtb, three road frames, one citybike.

Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 91 Posts
I have no problem with old bikes, old mtbs were always my favorite because they had traditional diamond frames, such as my 83 High Sierra. Plus they can be cheaper to have(outside bike shops), and cheaper to get parts/upgrade. I don't have money to buy 400+ dollar bikes, nor find a justifiable reason to spend enough on a bike that a motorcycle will do better for same, or even cheaper. I even mess with and often make brilliant rides out of walmart bikes, which usually are little different than old bikes parts wise. Speaking of cost; I can't see why certain bikes go for what they do, like Schwinn World Tourist. Paying 300+ dollars for that is like paying 8000 dollars for a first gen Taurus. Not too mention newer relaxed geometry roadbikes look too much like beach cruisers to me in profile. And I can probably drop some of these guys on my beach cruiser.

I've never had anybody make fun of my bikes, other than at the skate park, but that isn't antagonistic, riding the High Sierra around in the bowls probably raises questions. Oddly enough; I had many people love my Genesis Roadtech thinking it was a very expensive bike with all the work I put in to it; lizardskin bar tape, schwinn world tourist crank, sealed BB, Deore rear derailure from my old Lotus Pegasus, Lexis( Alexis?) rims, some can't remember satin aluminum brake levers as an actual need breaking the stock ones in a low side fall, Custom seat stem, and Bontrager seat, CST Corre tires. The only things I hadn't managed to change which would've completes the bike was changing the brake calipers and hiten steel fork. But it got stolen. I have a Denali to relive that glory, though.
Old 05-19-19, 12:38 AM
KennyIngram

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great discussion. I’m big on both vintage road and mountain bikes—especially mountain bikes. I’ve only ever experienced positive feedback and sometimes a discussion ensues. Still, if someone did have a problem with it, I’d just give them a quick “see you on the trail.”
Old 05-19-19, 07:52 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
I know that this is a good topic, it's Chock Full O'Newbies!

Old 05-19-19, 08:26 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
It really is the opposite for me. I look down on anything new. I do not like brifters, do not care for so called disc brakes, CF, meh, sick of matte black bicycles. Does anybody make bicycles anymore other than Trek and Specialized? I will go to an event, and there will be nothing but (mostly older folks, well heeled) on the newest CF Trek (black) or Specialized (also black). And then some black Giants thrown in for good measure and that is it!

And, while on the subject, it is okay to wear cycling shorts other than black also.

And younger folks, so sorely missing from any scene, hey they make these things called bicycles, and they are FUN and you can ride them and have FUN! and in the REAL world, not some virtual pretend world. Where are you? When I was young I never saw older folks and now that I am older I never see younger folks!

Last edited by Loose Chain; 05-19-19 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 09:50 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
This is a pretty epic first post/rant that hits many of the old classic rants of the past. Well done!

takes on these:
  1. BSO - "old Walmart bike"
  2. LBS denied service - "bike shop mechanic... turn my bike away"
  3. Elliptical rings - "trash the biopace"
  4. Worth it to upgrade - "putting ... $500 dollars in parts and service"
  5. Backhand against flippers - "scrapper trying to refurbish bikes to resell"
  6. Rant against new bikes - "I don't need the newest and shiniest carbon bike at the moment."
  7. When one deserves to have a better bike - "when I feel like my skills have progressed to deserve having one."
  8. Inflamed by internet scoffers - "I can't really avoid [letting it get to me] when it comes up in the face-to-face interactions ... random people on the Net. "
Fabulous. Bravo.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-20-19, 01:46 PM
turtledove

Bikes: 2005 Specialized Dolce Elite, 19?? Avitar Expert

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain
It really is the opposite for me. I look down on anything new. I do not like brifters, do not care for so called disc brakes, CF, meh, sick of matte black bicycles. Does anybody make bicycles anymore other than Trek and Specialized? I will go to an event, and there will be nothing but (mostly older folks, well heeled) on the newest CF Trek (black) or Specialized (also black). And then some black Giants thrown in for good measure and that is it!

And, while on the subject, it is okay to wear cycling shorts other than black also.

And younger folks, so sorely missing from any scene, hey they make these things called bicycles, and they are FUN and you can ride them and have FUN! and in the REAL world, not some virtual pretend world. Where are you? When I was young I never saw older folks and now that I am older I never see younger folks!

Besides the occasional Orbea or YT being a little more interesting to look at than the typical Trek, if it gets those folks out riding, then no complaints from me! As for CF and disc brakes, can't really knock them because they're solid, solid advancements in tech that make riding more comfortable for the people who like what they have to offer.

And to counteract your last point, it is now where we're seeing an explosive growth of bicycle use, people are using it to commute more than ever before (https://bikeleague.org/commutingdata)! Your experience might be a location thing then because here in the Bay area there are plenty of people like me in their mid 20s or even younger shredding the trails and streets. Most of the folks in group rides however, are definitely older though. It's about building the right infrastructure for bicycles more than anything.

Last edited by turtledove; 05-20-19 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-20-19, 02:21 PM
Dave Mayer

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1369 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 277 Posts
I volunteer at a high-volume, big-city bike Co-op. We see mostly vintage bike stuff; vintage does not necessarily mean good. In fact, about 90% of what we see is vintage bad, meaning that if our time, and their personal time was accounted for properly, it would make more sense for them to junk the old and buy new.

Appreciation for vintage stuff largely depends on the bike and the audience. I was in the shop last week with a new (yes, new) Vitus 979, that had been sitting in a box in the attic of a French bike shop for 33 years.

That got a lot some attention; too much so, in that I had to leave, but I got surrounded by the staffers, and peppered with excited questions and fawning praise.

However, I know if I were to roll this time capsule up to the start line of any organized race or Fondo, it would be seen as an antiquated relic, and I would be seen as having poor poor judgement. Not to be trusted in the pack..
Old 05-20-19, 05:24 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Bikes: Two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1254 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Loose Chain

On the one hand...at the end of the day, it’s not about how the bike looks, it’s how it rides. I like my CF bikes, and disc brakes are pretty darn sweet! I like the handlebar position on my black specialized. I love STI, and I like wide gear ranges that shift smoothly with no effort.

On the other...yeah...it’s boring going on rides where the bikes all look the same. There is an artless monotony to it. I miss the days of beautiful paint, and distinctive marquees with mythology. As much as I enjoy my CF stuff, they do lack that style. That verve. It’s nice having both!

Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 05-20-19, 07:56 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
At least they are not matte black, lol. In a sea of mostly black Harleys and men clad in black leather uniforms, it is always easy to find my motorcycle:

And my jacket is white and my helmet as well.
Old 05-20-19, 09:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
On the one hand...at the end of the day, it’s not about how the bike looks, it’s how it rides. I like my CF bikes, and disc brakes are pretty darn sweet! I like the handlebar position on my black specialized. I love STI, and I like wide gear ranges that shift smoothly with no effort.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 05-20-19, 10:05 PM
vintagerando

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Me looking down on my own old frame...

Univega Via Carisma. Splattertastic.

Years back when I got interested in older bikes I acquired a nearly mint Via Carisma for approx $25 or $35. I sold it for $100 a short time later. (I thought I was one heck of a smart guy at the time.) This was a time I would say my taste and knowledge in bikes was still developing. To this day, I wish I still had that Via Carisma; it truly have just the right fit and feel; but I wasn't mature or developed enough to recognize what a great fit it was for style of riding I like. After having bought and sold many bikes in the past 10 years, I regret selling only a couple and that Via Carisma is one I regret.
Old 05-20-19, 10:19 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
My CV frames are 25in and above, they mostly look up.
Tim
Old 05-21-19, 12:08 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
My CV frames are 25in and above, they mostly look up.
Tim
NICE.

Same here. Tall bikes are fantastic.
Old 05-21-19, 07:15 AM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
Stop asking me if I’m your father already! I am not your father. Sheesh. Jedi scum.
Likes For KonAaron Snake:
Old 05-21-19, 08:55 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Jax Rhapsody
If you like speed, I'd advise not using it. It's "best" used as a low to midrange crank.
Hmm, there are a couple of very fast people that would beg to differ, here in Indiana. Each to their own, equipment and opinion.

A California grad student set out to prove Rotor was a gimmick, and did tons of research, using pro's and fast amateurs.
Turns out, it is not.

Not that I like oval rings, but the research showed they are basically a zero advantage at lower skill levels and gain in advantage as skill/speed levels rise.
Imagine that.
Old 05-21-19, 08:58 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Is this an ad for penicillin?
Originally Posted by JaccoW
​​​​​
Old 05-21-19, 12:23 PM
madpogue 

My spelling was intentional. I always write Cardassians to provide the truly enlightened among us (aka DS9 fans) to identify themselves. You two are now officially in my good graces.

All hail Gul Dukat!
Old 05-21-19, 12:28 PM
KonAaron Snake 
Fat Guy on a Little Bike

I enjoyed DS9...it was a great rip off of Babylon 5.
Old 05-21-19, 03:19 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
Was that really him? I had no idea.

I enjoyed DS9...it was a great rip off of Babylon 5...
Haaa, just gonna pretend you didn't say that...
Old 05-21-19, 03:54 PM
madpogue 

Was that really him? I had no idea.
Yup, along with Wimpy in the movie version of Popeye, a mentally unstable judge in several episodes of The Practice, and himself in Robert Altman's The Player. One of my favorite B-listers, and still working at 90.
Old 05-21-19, 04:28 PM
Feldman

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by johnnyace
I think the attitude you are seeing may be more prominent amongst the MTB crowd than it is with road bikers. But then, I usually only ride with other C&Vers, so I'm not sure. We recently had some funny/interesting comments from folks when we did the annual Monster Cookie Ride here, but then, we also passed a lot of folks on $3,000 plastic wonderbikes, and one lady that had fallen over not a mile into the ride on hers, and couldn't get up because she was stuck in her clipless pedals.
And maybe because mountain bikes have changed at such a crazy rate of speed. I like to say that a 5 year old mountain bike is about like a 25 year old home computer. I ride a 50+ year old French frame with much newer parts for about 80% of my mileage--it puts my hands, feet, and behind in the right places and goes through turns right. That's really all a road bike frame has to do for most of us. Besides, old frames look cooler!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.