Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2019! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Old 06-06-19, 02:12 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
The nurses that run my cardiac rehab class aren't amused when I refer to the water bottle holder on the treadmill as the french fry holder.
Why not?

A cardiac rehab unit requires cardiac problems to stay in operation. If those nurses like having jobs they should be passing out french fries at all the local gyms! Counteract all that pesky exercise that prevents people from becoming paying patients!
Old 06-06-19, 06:00 PM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Ow!!

Fixed gear cornering too fast, pedal strike and I went down hard on my right. Nothing feels broken but this near 60 year body didn't take it well at all and it hurts like hell. Bruised rib at least, some kind of shoulder injury but not a collarbone. I know what THAT feels like all too well.

So I'm out from commuting for at least a few days, depending on how the pain subsides. Not planning on seeing ER or a clinic yet unless I decide I need X-rays, because they'd likely just prescribe pain killers that I don't want anyway. My planned runs are definitely out this weekend.
Old 06-06-19, 08:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I promise you I'm not going to torture you with my videos forever, but I'm having fun with my new toy right now. The compression plus the ride quality are doing awful things so I need to figure that out.

Somehow missed the record button this morning and missed a suicidal squirrel, but got this speedy lady. We are also having a second spring this week due to recent rains, so things are green again to go with the yellow.

Trying some stabilization. It doesn't work too well because the camera is shaking fast enough it's kind of aliased with the frame rate. But it's an improvement for sure. The compression is still terrible.

Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-06-19 at 11:49 PM.
Old 06-07-19, 06:49 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
A good ride in this morning. Humid, but not hot. Rain is forecast for this afternoon and the weekend. I'll ride unless major thunderstorms come around. Then I'll beg the wife for a ride home which probably means leaving work early due to kids' schedules. Gotta sacrifice sometimes I guess.

This morning two co-workers at different times were interested in my mileage and asking about my riding. One says she used to ride quite a bit but doesn't anymore.
Old 06-07-19, 07:15 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty

Trying some stabilization. It doesn't work too well because the camera is shaking fast enough it's kind of aliased with the frame rate. But it's an improvement for sure. The compression is still terrible.
Darth, I've done some filming myself and use a GoPro Hero Session 5. What I find works the best is actually the Chest mount. Anything mounted to the frame of the bike just picks up too much vibration. With the chest mount, my body seems to soften the vibration so I get pretty smooth footage. I've never tried a helmet mount because I turn my head to much and what I am trying to capture is really the path a head. Looks like you might be on a recumbent bike so not sure if a chest mount would work or not but something to try.
Likes For beachball42:
Old 06-07-19, 07:17 AM
beachball42

Bikes: Trek Verve 2, Trek 4900 MTB

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
So I rode today making that 4 x this week I've ridden to work. This is the most I've done in one week so at 15 miles round trip that will put me at 60 miles for the week which for me is a lot. My legs certainly felt it this morning so this evenings ride home I'm sure is going to be a slow one. Surprisingly, saw very few people out there this morning for such a nice day.
Likes For beachball42:
Old 06-07-19, 10:46 AM
Wolfhaven

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, Surly Disc Trucker, Surly ECR, Cannondale Cujo, Rocky Mountain Blizzard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
Fixed gear cornering too fast, pedal strike and I went down hard on my right. Nothing feels broken but this near 60 year body didn't take it well at all and it hurts like hell. Bruised rib at least, some kind of shoulder injury but not a collarbone. I know what THAT feels like all too well.

So I'm out from commuting for at least a few days, depending on how the pain subsides. Not planning on seeing ER or a clinic yet unless I decide I need X-rays, because they'd likely just prescribe pain killers that I don't want anyway. My planned runs are definitely out this weekend.
Ouch! Tough finding out we don't bounce like we used to.

Cool in the mornings still. They graded the entire 6.5 miles of gravel road yesterday so it's loose, soft gravel the entire way. Makes it a slog. Won't really get packed down until we get rain and hoping it comes on Sunday as forecasted. Liking the way the Big Apples in 2.35 roll on the pavement. Makes the 11 miles of pavement a little faster. Going home the temps could be 40 degrees warmer then the morning temps. Sure makes it tough to dress. Thinking I'll put on the bikepacking cages this weekend and start getting used to them on the bike.
Old 06-07-19, 11:27 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

@wphamilton I was too self absorbed to catch your crash news. Sorry you're hurt, here's to healing.
Old 06-07-19, 02:13 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Fixed gear cornering too fast, pedal strike and I went down hard on my right. Nothing feels broken but this near 60 year body didn't take it well at all and it hurts like hell.
Sorry to hear that, but glad it wasn't anything too serious.

Somehow missed the record button this morning and missed a suicidal squirrel, but got this speedy lady.
Second vid did seem a bit better in terms of vibration.

As for the lady jogger, her speed might be good but her awareness leaves a little to be desired. She barely looked back as she completely crossed the bike lane (one taking a cursory look when it was essentially too late), and somehow didn't do a double take upon seeing you. What if you were going faster? Not impressed.
Old 06-07-19, 02:54 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
As for the lady jogger, her speed might be good but her awareness leaves a little to be desired. She barely looked back as she completely crossed the bike lane (one taking a cursory look when it was essentially too late), and somehow didn't do a double take upon seeing you. What if you were going faster? Not impressed.
She looked well enough and crossed a full ten seconds before I passed her. I had no problem with her. You might not understand just how slow I'm going...

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 06-07-19 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-07-19, 03:50 PM
here hold my ha

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by beachball42
Last year my goal was to try and ride 1 to 2 times a week. This year I'm trying to ride more but the weather hasn't been helping. So far the most I've done is 3x in a week. If the weather holds tomorrow then I'll have ridden 4 x.
I just bought a bike last week with the goal of commuting to work (6 miles R/T). But starting the month with over 20 vacation days to use by July 1 hasn't had me showing up for work much, so I've done it only twice. The nice thing is the time off has given me plenty of time to do other longer, more fun rides. I do have to check in at some point, but some weather is rolling in, so I think I'll pass until the storms do.
Likes For here hold my ha:
Old 06-08-19, 01:15 AM
wphamilton

@wphamilton I was too self absorbed to catch your crash news. Sorry you're hurt, here's to healing.
It was worse than I thought, after the walk in clinic did a few X-rays they sent me straight to ER. 3 broken ribs, collapsed lung, fractured collarbone
Old 06-08-19, 06:59 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 114 Posts
It was worse than I thought, after the walk in clinic did a few X-rays they sent me straight to ER. 3 broken ribs, collapsed lung, fractured collarbone
Oh man, I am so sorry to hear this. Hope you heal fast!
Old 06-08-19, 09:14 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Geez, man
Old 06-08-19, 02:04 PM
wphamilton

Geez, man
Still in freaking ICU,☹️☹️dont know why they won't move me out yet. 23 hours already maybe they just like me
Old 06-08-19, 06:18 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,622 Times in 942 Posts
Wow! Get well soon.
Old 06-10-19, 04:53 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 83 Posts
I hope you recover quickly!

The commute this morning was pleasant yet uneventful. Which in my book is always a win. The temp was a little cool at 55 f degrees so I used a lightweight jacket and shorts.
Old 06-10-19, 06:44 AM
oldgeezerjeff

Bikes: 2016 Charge Plug 2, Citizen Miami folding bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Nice commute in this morning. A little cooler than usual and about a 15 to 18 MPH north wind. Counted 5 bunnies this morning and a windblown fallen tree that pretty much blocked the entire MUP. The top of the tree fell about 12 inches shy of the far side of the MUP so I was able to squeeze by between the tree and the rail on the right side, although I had to get off the bike and navigate through the tree branches which were about 8 feet high. It was a fully grown mature tree that looked like the trunk had shattered and split. We had some pretty good winds over the weekend so that must have been the cause.
Anyway, looking forward to the trip home this evening as I am supposed to have a partial tailwind.
Old 06-10-19, 07:19 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Warmer this morning at 67F, but wet from heavy rains yesterday and a little sprinkles. There were two riders stopped with flats. After I passed the second he caught up to me and thanked me for asking if he needed help. He commented that no one had even acknowledged him. Sad but not surprising - at least ask if they're ok even if you can't help (scolding over)
Old 06-10-19, 09:45 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Back in town, back to work. The ride started out cool but was warming quickly, but it was steamy humid the entire way. (Funny, I just spent last week in a desert, and my sinuses are rejoicing for some humidity; then I soak my cycling outfit with sweat.)

The city is actually repaving the section of street they had ground up last month! Not quite ready to roll, but if they can get maybe a quarter mile done, it's going to be rideable for the entire section where it's the only and/or best route.
Old 06-10-19, 11:15 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 114 Posts
Back to work after my six week heart surgery vacation. I've recovered surprisingly quickly and as a result I was able to ride my bike to work this morning, which means my consecutive bicycle commuting streak remains unbroken at 743 days and counting.

It was a beautiful morning. Went for an hour walk before I rode to work. 57F, sunny and barely any wind. Left work and rode to and from an appointment with my cardiologist so I'll even get some bonus miles in.

Last week and cleaned and tuned up my road bike, so I decided to ride it today:

Old 06-10-19, 11:37 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Wow... it's been fifteen weeks for me and I don't want to ride a regular bike. Then again I've been really bad about following orders not to lift or horse around with my kids, so my incision is pretty much always sore.

It's a scorcher today, not really looking forward to the ride home.
Old 06-10-19, 01:43 PM
wphamilton

Wow... it's been fifteen weeks for me and I don't want to ride a regular bike. Then again I've been really bad about following orders not to lift or horse around with my kids, so my incision is pretty much always sore.

It's a scorcher today, not really looking forward to the ride home.
It sounds like we're a walking wounded club. Healing quickly is not likely in the cards for me although so far from trauma to now I think I'm beyond expectations and I'll be out of here today. Trauma lead may still be upset that I removed my breathing tube myself but it worked and everything is good to go. Accidentally,& I'm sticking to that. But with ribs AND clavicle, conservative treatment meaning basically not doing anything until it heals, it could be months before things get normal
Old 06-10-19, 01:49 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
It sounds like we're a walking wounded club. Healing quickly is not likely in the cards for me although so far from trauma to now I think I'm beyond expectations and I'll be out of here today. Trauma lead may still be upset that I removed my breathing tube myself but it worked and everything is good to go. Accidentally,& I'm sticking to that. But with ribs AND clavicle, conservative treatment meaning basically not doing anything until it heals, it could be months before things get normal
Still can't believe you initially thought it was just bumps and bruises. I mean, you sound pretty tough (in a good way). Hopefully the healing will go fast.
Old 06-10-19, 02:50 PM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Just now getting back to the forum here. A decent ride this morning. We had a lot of rain over the weekend, but roads were mostly dry by this morning. Humidity is full effect. Nothing exciting to report otherwise.
@wphamilton - take it easy and hopefully you'll be back out there soon enough.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.