Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Am I going to notice the difference between "better" frames and a Kilo WT?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 06-22-19, 06:30 PM
Bat56

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I知 going to build up a new bike and I知 looking for a frame. Most critical element is room for wide tires. The reason for this is that my commute changed from sweet 8 miles to 20 miles through some bombed out hoods with some legit dangerous downhills.

My fair weather bike is Columbus slx on 25c tires and my rain bike is a diamondback aluminum frame on 35c tires. Those tires make a huge difference but that bike is rigged with fenders and I prefer to leave it at home because I致e had plenty of fenders crack and break over time.

my set up is fixed gear with front brake. On the new bike I値l be going with a disc up front.

I知 looking at the Nature Boy and the Steamroller but also the Kilo WT. I like the idea of swapping out the front fork for carbon because I have one on my hard tail mtb and love the way it makes normal roads feel like carpet.

So so the question is - if I知 starting with a frame, will I notice a difference in the higher price frame? Like is there a reason to get one of those over the Kilo? I知 thinking road feel but also durability over time. Or other stuff too like is the chasing on the bottom bracket gonna be crap or the headset face crooked etc.
Old 06-22-19, 07:55 PM
BicycleBicycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Bat56
I’m going to build up a new bike and I’m looking for a frame. Most critical element is room for wide tires. The reason for this is that my commute changed from sweet 8 miles to 20 miles through some bombed out hoods with some legit dangerous downhills.

My fair weather bike is Columbus slx on 25c tires and my rain bike is a diamondback aluminum frame on 35c tires. Those tires make a huge difference but that bike is rigged with fenders and I prefer to leave it at home because I’ve had plenty of fenders crack and break over time.

my set up is fixed gear with front brake. On the new bike I’ll be going with a disc up front.

I’m looking at the Nature Boy and the Steamroller but also the Kilo WT. I like the idea of swapping out the front fork for carbon because I have one on my hard tail mtb and love the way it makes normal roads feel like carpet.

So so the question is - if I’m starting with a frame, will I notice a difference in the higher price frame? Like is there a reason to get one of those over the Kilo? I’m thinking road feel but also durability over time. Or other stuff too like is the chasing on the bottom bracket gonna be crap or the headset face crooked etc.
They will all be roughly the same build quality (Like you said, threading issues, general overall build of the frame, etc).. The difference will be in the tubing.
Taiwanese bicycle manufacturing has made some huge strides.
Some places source their frames from boutique high end frame makers in taiwan. I don't think all city and surly does that particularly, but I could be wrong, i'm not sure if taiwan has made a middle ground yet (equivalent to the velocity factory here).

Mercier Kilo TT/WT is made out of Reynolds 520, whereas the nature boy is made of 853. Surly uses Natch?
I believe 853 is heat treated air hardened 520.
Heat treatment makes a craAaAAAAAaaaAaAzy difference in strength, but not so much so that it would be a totally different bike. It may be a little stiffer which would be more responsive.
Again, steel is steel. They might heat treat so that they can remove more material and thus make a lighter bike that is just as strong.

I'd say it depends on how heavy you are and how rough you plan on being on the bike.
Keep in mind that you can buy a complete WT for less than the price of one of these frames.
That gives you room to get some really nice parts if you feel so inclined.

Last edited by BicycleBicycle; 06-22-19 at 07:58 PM.