Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Giving up Ti and going back to carbon

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Giving up Ti and going back to carbon

Old 07-18-19, 09:33 AM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
Originally Posted by MyTi
I am using carbon wheels and carbon brake tracks. Even if it had aluminum brake tracks it would still be poor in comparison to hydraulic disc brakes in wet conditions.

I'm going by what my LBS tells me. He told me they have a customer that weighs 330 pounds riding the same madone and it's been holding up fine. He said if anything happens they will warranty that frame no questions asked.

Lol I wasn't mad I was more concerned for their mental health as they exhibited questionable behavior. They really love their Chinese carbon rides over there over a classic 6-4 titanium made in America bike? All they do is troll there and it's the Hot R Not thread no one takes those guys seriously because they lack knowledge and taste. The fact they wouldn't believe my bike is 16 pounds is very odd as well even after my bike was weighed on a professional scale at an LBS...and then they want me to buy a luggage scale to prove? They are irrational and lack logic.... Wouldn't be surprised if they don't believe I lost 6 pounds yesterday either. Well gained a pound yesterday so five really(shouldn't have eaten those pop tarts last night). Now they are saying at 290 I can't ride a Madone, but my LBS said I will be fine on the madone as long as I continue to lose weight they will warranty the frame no questions asked.
Well then, carry on Vizzini
Old 07-18-19, 09:36 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Can this whole thread be any more contrived! Start with, made in USA Titanium over Asian Carbon throw in Disc vs Rim brakes now add substantially over GVWR for the prospective bike. Plus quote a price not normally available for the new bike.

Thank you as it has been an entertaining read.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 07-18-19, 10:22 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
Can this whole thread be any more contrived! Start with, made in USA Titanium over Asian Carbon throw in Disc vs Rim brakes now add substantially over GVWR for the prospective bike. Plus quote a price not normally available for the new bike.

Thank you as it has been an entertaining read.
Well said
Old 07-18-19, 10:34 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1158 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 312 Posts
You tell us “I am using carbon rims and carbon brake tracks...”

Then you share that you weigh just under #300 , and you are disappointed about your rim brake performance in the fog where you live.

But you are quite proud of the fact that you’ve got your bike weight at about #16 .

You checked with a reputable titanium frame shop (Ti Cycles perhaps?) who quoted you a realistic price to modify a Litespeed Vortex to accept disc calipers including re-setting the rear triangle?

Come on! If your titanium frame is appropriately overbuilt to not flex in the bottom bracket under your body weight then you’ve got a keeper. Lack of flex is a necessity for you - good!

Next up, the braking. It is bad by your report. Did you have conventional aluminum clincher rims on there before with proper machined sidewalls? What was your thought process when you went with the carbon rims? There are plenty of aluminum wheelsets that are as light or lighter than carbon, if weight reduction was your objective.

When asked for specifics about your wheels, brakes, etc... you trickle out little bits of data at a time in a way that has the participants in this thread thoroughly mystified. Dang!
Old 07-18-19, 10:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
I think that the disk brake v rim brake debate has been beat to death. If the OP wants to use carbon wheels with carbon brake tracks, then disks would be better. I like the thru axles on my disk brake gravel bike. On my road bikes, the Campy rim calipers are every bit as powerful feeling (no lab or scientific measurement but just how they feel to me) as my disk brakes. I like their simplicity. Pads last years. Easy to adjust, etc. But again, for carbon wheels, disk brakes are a better way to go, IMHO.
Titanium wheels. Ti is superior to carbon.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 07-18-19, 11:07 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
Obtl
Old 07-18-19, 11:54 AM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts

Carbon frame durability Tour De France 2019
Has it yet been brought up that the evidence indicates that this bike was run over by a car?

Last edited by seau grateau; 07-18-19 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-18-19, 12:17 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Has it yet been brought up that the evidence indicates that this bike was run over by a car?
By BikeForums logic then he should or should not have been taking the lane and/or wearing a helmet.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 07-18-19, 12:35 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
The latest GCN show I started to watch this morning had "here's what really happened to the F12" as a segment in their show, but I did not have an opportunity to finish it yet....so I don't know yet.
Old 07-18-19, 12:36 PM
seau grateau

To be clear:

Old 07-18-19, 01:59 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
I'm going by what my LBS tells me. He told me they have a customer that weighs 330 pounds riding the same madone and it's been holding up fine. He said if anything happens they will warranty that frame no questions asked.
I'm concerned your LBS may have decided you are an easy mark. It's hard to imagine a reputable shop steering you toward a Madone. It's an aero race bike and you will never be aero or a racer. At your weight you need to be on 32s at least. I wonder if the Madone will even fit 28s. The idea that they would contradict the mfg as to the weight limit is strange as well. For the amazing price of $1900, I wonder if they are trying to sell you a defective or damaged demo or an otherwise unsaleable bike. They may have you pegged as a customer with more enthusiasm than knowledge. I believe you should do some more research as to an appropriate bike.
Old 07-18-19, 06:47 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
GCN says the same thing, because that’s the only thing that really makes sense. Having said that, I’m not entirely convinced that the vehicle in the video ran over the bike. It remains rock steady throughout the video and there was not so much as a bump, plus the handle bars on the bike are still dead straight in the broken pics.
Old 07-18-19, 06:50 PM
seau grateau

Originally Posted by jadocs
GCN says the same thing, because that’s the only thing that really makes sense. Having said that, I’m not entirely convinced that the vehicle in the video ran over the bike. It remains rock steady throughout the video and there was not so much as a bump, plus the handle bars on the bike are still dead straight in the broken pics.
Yeah, definitely possible that it was something else. The bike is clearly on the ground in one piece post-crash though, so it wasn't the crash that broke it in half.
Old 07-18-19, 06:56 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
FWIW, it is my opinion that a CAAD12 is superior to both when you factor in cost. As a recreational rider that is a big factor.
Old 07-18-19, 07:51 PM
MyTi
6-4 Titanium

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Alright guys thanks for helping me decide. Picked up the madone earlier today and it is so gorgeous. Those glistening disc brakes in that NorCal fog gives me so much confidence on my 13mph hammer fests lol. Jokes aside the madone is a good bike and rides well. Already sold the vortex kinda sad about it. When the guy came to pick the vortex up we were looking at the madone and vortex side by side and we both agreed, the vortex was a work of art and looked far better than the Madone. It’s just no comparison. Any how we can close thread after establishing Ti is better and looks better, but sometimes you have to settle on a Trek Madone for disc brakes....sigh.
Old 07-18-19, 08:22 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Guess you'll have to change your user name now...

Wouldn't be surprised if they don't believe I lost 6 pounds yesterday either. Well gained a pound yesterday so five really(shouldn't have eaten those pop tarts last night).
You ate how many pop tarts?
Old 07-18-19, 08:42 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
:
Alright guys thanks for helping me decide. Picked up the madone earlier today and it is so gorgeous. Those glistening disc brakes in that NorCal fog gives me so much confidence on my 13mph hammer fests lol. Jokes aside the madone is a good bike and rides well. Already sold the vortex kinda sad about it. When the guy came to pick the vortex up we were looking at the madone and vortex side by side and we both agreed, the vortex was a work of art and looked far better than the Madone. It’s just no comparison. Any how we can close thread after establishing Ti is better and looks better, but sometimes you have to settle on a Trek Madone for disc brakes....sigh.
So much troll in one thread

Good job.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-18-19, 08:50 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
In the end you weighed all of the information and used logic and your keen intellect to chose the bike that made the most sense based upon your expert analysis. Getting the bike thousands below it’s actual cost was just icing on the cake. Not to mention the LBS overriding the weight limitation to include an okey dokey handshake limited lifetime warranty
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 07-18-19, 08:59 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
This thread is worthless without a photo comparison of the Vortex and the Madone.
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 07-18-19, 09:45 PM
Kent T

Bikes: 2002 Trek 800 Singletrack, 1982 Bridgestone Spica

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Doesn't matter. It's still just a LiteSpeed.

And for me, it's built really close to home. Factory level support is nearby. As in 1 hour drive South.
Old 07-18-19, 11:29 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Please don’t let this end.
How about should you go tubeless, tubular or tubed tires?
Convert to electronic shifting from mechanical.
Online or local bike shop?
Earbuds while you are riding?
Chamois cream or not?
Keto diet or low fat?
Old 07-18-19, 11:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,645 Times in 6,054 Posts
Should cyclists wave at other cyclists?
Old 07-19-19, 01:02 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1520 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
How about should you go tubeless, tubular or tubed tires?
Convert to electronic shifting from mechanical.
Online or local bike shop?
Earbuds while you are riding?
Chamois cream or not?
Keto diet or low fat?
What chain lube?

Old 07-19-19, 02:00 AM
Fox Farm

Bikes: Merlin Extra Light, Orbea Orca, Ritchey Outback,Tomac Revolver Mountain Bike, Cannondale Crit 3.0 now used for time trials.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Titanium wheels? I think that you are a little confused.
Old 07-19-19, 02:13 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
Obviously the cars disc brakes sliced that frame in half. Because disc brakes do that in bike racing.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.