Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Does the C&V community have a preferred clipless system?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Does the C&V community have a preferred clipless system?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-19, 06:02 AM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by cdmurphy
I just can't get over how horrible they are to walk in. Clomping around the house, and out to the garage is almost enough to drive me bonkers. Any sort of mid ride stop, or heaven forbid walking up a hill is torture.
This is the main reason I gave up on Speedplay. Nowadays, I'm nearly exclusively flat pedal, but the road bike I use most-often has SPD, which I use with MTB shoes. When I go on a training ride, I like to stop at a halfway point and get off the bike for a bit, walk around and drink deeply. That helps me charge up for the ride home. Speedplays are nice. They look nice, and the feel great, and are easy on the knees, but they really suck when you are off the bike for any amount of time.
Old 07-21-19, 07:24 AM
lasauge 
Pedalin' Erry Day

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 198 Posts
If you're not entirely sure about clipless, I think the best option is to go with an SPD pedal for the reasons that many have mentioned: they work with shoes that are also walkable, can be had in half-platform versions, and they work very well. Also, a single-sided SPD pedal in silver can look right at home on an old bike:

Old 07-21-19, 07:42 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12757 Post(s)
Liked 7,672 Times in 4,070 Posts
SPD for me.

Old 07-21-19, 08:09 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,008 Times in 1,107 Posts
spd on my commuter and MTB. Easy in and out in traffic and technical sections. Other bikes get the SPD-SL. Shimano pedals are pretty awesome and they are everywhere.
Old 07-21-19, 09:39 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
SPD for me. Currently running dual sided platform/SPD on my Rivendell 'country' bike A530 i think. Xpedo mountain force 3 on my Mercian. The Xpedo are slightly tweaked version of SPD with better contact, more float, and easier in and out. Being metal colored, they don't look ridiculous on C&V type bikes.

I've been riding SPD since it came out. Works for me, since usually my rides have at least some gravel involved. Plus it's more convenient to be able to walk.

Initially Shimano marketed it as a system for road and MTB, clearly trying to evade the Look patent licensing fees they were then paying for their look compatible pedals.
Old 07-21-19, 09:42 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
I've only used SPD, so I can't compare it to other clipless systems, but it works really well for me. My shoes of choice these days are Dromartis with cleats, and they're well recessed so as to not click along or be a safety hazard when off the bike. On the four tours I've done this year, I only took those shoes and was plenty comfortable walking around in them.
Old 07-21-19, 11:06 AM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,372 Times in 1,578 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
To those who use clips and straps on some bikes and some form of snap-in/clipless on other bikes -- do you ever have a problem getting your foot stuck because you make the wrong motion for the system you are using at the time? This would be my biggest concern. I have been riding clips and straps for 50 years and will probably simply continue to do so, because they serve my needs so well.
I was happily using clips & straps (mostly with slotted cleats) until 2008, when health issues forced a change to recumbents. In turn, that forced me to finally get some clipless pedals. It was a quick learning process, both for the pedals and the recumbent riding position. Talk about a culture change!

About 7 years later, some physical therapy allowed me to get back on my vintage bikes and start using clips and straps again. The difference between sitting on a 'bent and sitting on a Raleigh was enough to remind me of the correct way to get out of the pedals on each bike. Later, I did put SPDs on one of my older bikes, and it still wasn't a concern. I sometimes "feel" the pedal as I approach a stop, just to confirm which type I'm using. Now and then, I'll find myself twisting a foot as I'm using slotted cleats, but it's pretty obvious that it's not right.

In the same way that switching between down tube shifters and bar end shifters can sometimes cause me to reach the wrong direction to shift, I'll sometimes make the wrong motion to get my foot out, but it is brief and not a problem as long as I don't wait till the last second.

Steve in Peoria
Old 07-21-19, 11:09 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
I use Speedplay. Mostly because they need no orientation. And while it doesn't matter much, Richard Byrne does have a wonderful Flick account of vintage components.

Umberto Dei 01 by iabisdb, on Flickr
Ok, that is insanely pretty. Wow, on the fork rake...

I use look keo cleats.
1) The system is lightwieght, and wicked easy to flip and lock into, for anyone used to toeclips.
2) Many different pedals avaialable, including other brands with whatever degree of float, and materials mix.
3) Cheap and huge supply of used "everything."
4) Relatively tolerant of dirt, limited walking, and if there's a problem, see 3.

Last edited by Last ride 76; 07-21-19 at 11:13 AM.
Likes For Last ride 76:
Old 07-21-19, 11:30 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
@lasauge, those pedals look great on that Sannow.

My potential Speedplay score is not to be. Missed them by a day.
Old 07-21-19, 02:24 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I just realized this morning I need to replace my 18 month old Look Delta cleats. The lip on the left cleat is worn down almost twice as much as the right. That's mostly from setting my left foot down at stops. The old Look Delta style really aren't suitable for walking and I've done quite a bit of walking in these.

That's one advantage to the variation of the Look Delta style that Shimano made with the SPD-SL. They added walkable rubbery pads that are easier to walk on and protect the business ends of the cleats.

In checking Amazon listings I see most recent buyers of the old Look Delta style are new Peloton folks who don't seem to know much about cycling. Apparently Peloton spin bikes settled on Look Delta as their standard.

Nothing wrong with that, but Look no longer makes that style. We're forced to buy knockoffs, which vary in quality. When I see photos of barely worn cleats that broke, it brings to mind the strains of the Nutcracker Suite. I cannot imagine how bad the injuries could be from a cleat breaking while standing to stomp the pedals uphill or for a sprint.

I may switch my outdoor bikes to all SPD-SL, or Look Keo, since both still make OEM cleats.
Old 07-21-19, 02:29 PM
tonyfourdogs

Bikes: Marin Palisades Trail (1991)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
By no means an expert, but I'm like OP in that I use clips and straps but keep the straps loose. My favourite pedals so far have been Shimano 600 with the chrome toe clips. Comfortable and they look great.
Old 07-21-19, 02:41 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
I use SPD, mountain shoes or keen spd sandals. Pedals are 2 sided M324
One bike (84 Gran Prix) still has toe clips and straps. 68 Raleigh has original blocks.
Old 07-21-19, 03:09 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
SPDs for me too. More walkable, cleats are cheap, and last forever. I've tried Shimano road and Speedplay. Clunky to walk in, expensive cleats to replace, no thanks. I drag the old Campy quills, toe clips and straps out (under protest) for Eroica, then they go back in the bin, and the SPDs go back on.

I found these $20 Giant SPDs at a swap meet, and really like them, though I mostly use Shimano.

I like these Louus Garneau Nickel shoes. They work for SPD and, with the recessed cleats, the grippy soles can be used with toe clips and straps too.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 07-21-19 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-21-19, 04:26 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
To those who use clips and straps on some bikes and some form of snap-in/clipless on other bikes -- do you ever have a problem getting your foot stuck because you make the wrong motion for the system you are using at the time? This would be my biggest concern. I have been riding clips and straps for 50 years and will probably simply continue to do so, because they serve my needs so well.
Oh baby! When I first switched it up with cages, clipless and platforms (10 bikes) it was a nightmare. Muscle memory was useless, come to the stop and make the move I made on the last bike I rode, which was usually wrong. I almost fell a half a dozen times. Good news, it self-solved over a couple of months. The brain is an amazing thing, it now seems like there is a query that automactically happens to determine the correct exit from the pedal. Sweet.
Old 07-21-19, 04:30 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Oh baby! When I first switched it up with cages, clipless and platforms (10 bikes) it was a nightmare. Muscle memory was useless, come to the stop and make the move I made on the last bike I rode, which was usually wrong. I almost fell a half a dozen times. Good news, it self-solved over a couple of months. The brain is an amazing thing, it now seems like there is a query that automactically happens to determine the correct exit from the pedal. Sweet.
My brain is an amazing thing, as well -- I have always been a total klutz.

This reminds me of my British expat friends, who have to switch between driving on the right here and driving on the left when they visit home. Driving a car with the controls on the appropriate side helps, and one chap always drives manual shift in the U.K. and automatics here, which he says helps him remember where he is, as well.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 07-22-19, 08:18 AM
BFisher

Once again, a big thanks to all who took the time to relay their choices/experiences!

After reading through it all, and probably over thinking it a bit too much, I think I'll probably end up giving the Look Keo 2 Max pedals a go.

Really, every system I've read about seems perfectly suitable for my wants, I just think the Looks will fit better aesthetically. I've got a birthday next month, and pedals/shoes will be a great gift.
Old 07-31-19, 12:55 PM
BFisher

Just a follow through...

Got 'em!
Now comes the hard part - shoe shopping.
Old 07-31-19, 01:08 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
I have SPD pedals on all of my bikes. A variety of brands.
[indent]Shimano SPDs (M8000 and M9000 are nice pedals. Bearings easy to service.).

Vintage Ultegra single sided SPDs are available, and are a good solid pedal, and look more "vintage".

Wellgo SPDs. Good tension adjustment. Good average pedals.

XPEDO MForce8 (double sided) and RForce (single sided). Some of the lightest pedals available. I've encountered some wear issues on the RForce pedals. But overall good. The MForce8 pedals are "grabby", and snags my shoe almost anyplace.[/indent
Old 07-31-19, 01:19 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
The question is almost a contradiction in terms but not really.

SPD all the way. I used the original Look pedals and cleats. It was like walking on Teflon shoes.

I have one pair of SPD-SL cleats and pedals which I used on the track. It's very similar to the original Look.

In my view, SPD might be the best invention Shimano has ever created, and Shimano has done a lot of good work. SPD shoes usually have recessed cleats, making walking easy and safe. There is more variety in SPD shoes than any other system. There is more variety in SPD pedals than any other system. Heck, I even have SPD sandals. I'm still waiting for SPD dress shoes. They exist in low volume production and are too expensive.

The Shimano PD-M324 is nice because you can use your cleats or street shoes. I have one bike with those pedals and another bike with Wellgo knockoffs of that design. The Shimano made pedals are made better. So on those two bikes, I can wear anything. Most of my other bikes have pedals with SPD on both sides. This makes getting in easier, as I don't have to flip the pedal over, but it requires riding with SPD shoes.

My favorite pair of SPD shoes, made by Specialized, is suitable for hiking in the woods and walking on city streets. I've even had running shoes with SPD cleats, although that turned out not to be a great idea.

SPD pedals are easier to get into than toe clips. Getting out is easy, but you must remember to twist out before stopping, as with other clipless types. SPD pedals are easier to get into than other clipless systems I've tried, though I've seen some that look equally easy. I set the tension on my pedals extra low. The result is that I've pulled out the wrong way in a panic stop. But my foot has never fallen out accidentally.

In theory, SPDs are more prone to coming out accidentally than other systems, but I haven't seen it happen. I'm sure it has happened. This can matter if you are a road racer. They are usually thought of as mountain bike pedals, but they're fine for road racing, and I've even seen one guy race in them on the track. His trick is never to use one pair of shoes for anything other than racing. That way, he doesn't wear the cleats out.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Last edited by noglider; 07-31-19 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-31-19, 02:44 PM
BFisher

@noglider, Well put.

Based on all of the responses, it seems that SPDs are the more common choice. I like your post because it highlights the versatility of that system very nicely. I just may eventually get a set of SPDs for another bike. I can see the appeal.

I'm very excited to give the Looks a go. They'll go on my modernized Ironman, which is the bike I ride most. If walkability really does become an issue with them, it's great that there are all of these other options. I don't really stop and walk around much when I ride the IM, but now that I've made a choice, just watch - I'll get 25 miles away from home and have too!
Old 07-31-19, 02:54 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,818 Times in 1,539 Posts
Late to comment, but I use both SPD and SPD-SL it is a functionality issue, not looks etc

I use spd for commuting as as there are just that little bit easier to get in and out and the pedals I use (mountaing 2 sided SPD and Flat pedal one side/SPD the other side) let me keep moving if i miss the clip in (never said I was coordinated)

For long rides on my road bike I use spd-sl they feel more efficient and locked in.

I commute on my road bike (de rosa) as life is too short to not ride your good bike....and swap out the pedals as needed

I tried speed play and hated them....finicky, high maintenance and not easier to clip in

Old 07-31-19, 05:39 PM
2cam16

Bikes: TRIMMED DOWN THE HERD

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 600 Posts
For road bikes I have Look Deltas (or Shimano equivalent) on them. For some of my mtb's it's SPD.
Old 08-01-19, 10:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,690 Times in 2,513 Posts
I have SPD because of walkable shoes. We went to the tavern for a post-ride beer, and there was a guy there that had fallen on the way to the bathroom because of his road shoes. He had made the call of shame, and was pretty sure he had broken his wrist.
Old 08-01-19, 11:19 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
For my style of riding, I'm loving SPDs with the SPD-56 multi-release cleats and Shimano 5D5 sandals. Casual, walkable, comfortable, easy to get out of, but hold my feet well enough for spirited riding.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-01-19, 02:29 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,432 Posts
Shimano has a new line of SPD pedals called Click'R. I guess that's pronounced "clicker," but I'm not sure. My friend, who I think developed sufficient skill with regular SPDs got these pedals. They're aimed at less experienced cyclists. My friend said they're easier to get in and out of. You just step in. And then you pull straight up to get out. I didn't look closely to see how they work. He assures me he never comes out accidentally. So you may want to consider these, too.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-US/techn...no-clickr.html

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.