Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Gravel ride near DC.

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-19, 09:59 AM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Any good Gravel rides near Washington DC?

I'm on my way to DC for a week with the family. We are staying across the river in Crystal City. I convinced my wife last minute to let me being my new Trek Checkpoint. I plan to explore the C&O canal trail but I'm wondering what else is near where I'm staying that I could explore without having to drive far.
The rest of the family are late getting outra bed in the morning and I'm usually up by 5 and bored. So I'm planning to get out and back by the time they are up and running.

Last edited by TheRef; 07-20-19 at 06:51 PM.
Old 07-20-19, 06:52 PM
TheRef

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
I'm aware it's a very developed area and we'll populated but Im wondering how far I'd have to go and which direction.
Old 07-21-19, 06:02 AM
blazin
Blazer of saddles, trails

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
It depends on whether you are looking to roll out the door (or can drive to ride somewhere) and how much time you have on your hands. There is some really nice gravel near to DC, but most of it as at least a 30 minute drive outside the city.

The C&O is a great option for hitting some gravel right from town. But it is sort of a boring out and back that, especially on weekends is packed with walkers, dogs, etc. The nearest gravel roads you can get to using the C&O is at mile 27.5.

Alternatively, you could take the paved Washington & Old Dominion path (in Virginia) to get out to Leesburg and access the amazing gravel out there. But again, you're looking at ~30ish miles one way just to get there.

Your best bet for pre-planned routes in the area is this blog: https://grindinggravel.blogspot.com/

And, as always, the best place to start in trying to find some gravel and plan your own route is: gravelmap.com

Happy to help with some additional ideas suggestions if you can give more specific parameters.