Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another "new" bike

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Another "new" bike

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 03:44 PM
fast_eddie_72

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Another "new" bike

Thank you all for the info on my curb find Peugeot. I really, really like that bike. But now that it's up and running... It's just too big for me. I can barely stand on tip toes over the top tube. I showed it to a friend of mine who knows a lot about bikes and his reaction was "You should't ride that bike". lol

Well, never fear. It was my annual neighborhood garage sale this weekend and a neighbor up the street had a bike that fits me great! I'm really happy. It's a Gitane Olympic Record II. I did some google work and it sounds like it's from 1977. Seems to have nice components. It's clean and in good shape, but I think it may need some adjusting. Everything works, but it doesn't shift as nicely as the Peugeot.

So even though the curb find didn't work out, I still ended up with a pretty nifty vintage bike. And it will be fun to learn more about getting it adjusted and working like new.

Thanks,

Ed

Old 04-27-19, 04:51 PM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,988 Times in 1,776 Posts
Wow, that's really clean looking. Enjoy!
Old 04-27-19, 05:14 PM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 141 Posts
Nice looking gitane.
Old 04-27-19, 05:19 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
The zefal HP is a very fine pump. I like the combo of bar end shifters and "safety" brake levers.

The bike needs an overhaul but otherwise it looks very clean. I happen to like the under the bar brake levers but most folks on this site do no (google suicide lever). The downside is that you might bottom out the safety levers against the bars before the brake is properly engaged which means you're still going. So check those brake levers to make sure they are working right. That bike is a time capsule.
Old 04-27-19, 07:04 PM
fast_eddie_72

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yeah, I think it will be good to learn on. Everything works, and I can ride it just fine, but it seems like the gears are noisy. Not sure if it needs a chain or just adjustment. But it doesn't sound right. The cable for the front derailleur goes completely slack when you go to the larger gear. So it definitely looks like it needs help.

I was watching some youtube videos and I think I can tackle what this bike needs. It will be fun working on it, and I'll probably learn a lot.

That's funny, those are the only kind of brake levers I'm familiar with. That's what all the bikes had when I was a kid. The brakes actually work great. I believe the pads have been replaced. I'm pretty sure this bike has been ridden a lot, but reasonably well looked after. Nothing major wrong, but really needs a little sprucing up.

I can tell you I'm not a fan of the shifters on the ends of the bars. Well, other than I think they look cool. Maybe I'll get used to it, or maybe it will feel better when I get everything working great, but for now, yeah, not a fan.

Thanks!

Ed
Old 04-28-19, 02:03 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
Be wary of the Headset and BB as they may be French although with the Japanese components Gitane may have switched over to standard English threading by the time this bike was built. Nothing wrong with French its just different. Saint Sheldon the Brown has some good stuff on French bikes here Nice find OP
Old 04-28-19, 03:37 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Original right down to the reflectors... nice. Suntour barcons (bar end shifters) are great stuff, you'll dig those. Centerpull brakes. High-flange hubs. Good times!
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 04-28-19, 04:47 PM
fast_eddie_72

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you guys. I'm learning just from the comments. I didn't know there were "low flange" and "high flange" hubs. Now that you mention it, they do look cool! lol

I did some research and as near as I can tell without a tool, the chain is stretched pretty significantly. So I'll replace that. I'm pretty sure that and cables are all it needs. Those should be reasonably simple projects for me to tackle.

So know what I really like about this bike vs the Peugeot? The freewheel clicks louder. It sounds like a bike should! lol The Peugeot was just too quite!

Thanks everyone,

Ed
Old 04-28-19, 05:00 PM
bikemig 

There's nothing not to like about this bike other than the saddle. That looks positively painful. Everyone likes different saddles but the wtb saddles are pretty good I think and come at different price points.
Old 07-21-19, 12:03 AM
fast_eddie_72

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Follow up!

Okay, I bought a few tools, shift cables and a chain. I've got this thing working really well! I think it could use some deep cleaning. Otherwise it's a great bike!

Thanks for the info and help!
Old 07-21-19, 06:29 AM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
It has some nice parts on it like the high flange hubs, suntour barcons, forged dropouts and the vx rear derailleur. I would definitely give it a good going over.

You will want to repack hubs, headset and bottom bracket. New brake pads, cables and housing. The spoke protector on the rear, kickstand, chainguard and reflectors can also come off. I would probably replace the brake levers with ones that dont come with turkey levers and a new saddle. Maybe seatpost but I cant quite make it out.

Or just use it as is. Some thoughtful upgrades could make the bike a nice rider but as is seems to work too.
Likes For Narhay:
Old 07-21-19, 11:32 AM
PilotFishBob 
So it goes.

Bikes: A few. Quite a few.

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 261 Posts
How you like it is how it should be. Agreed per above, if you haven't yet definitely clean and repack the BB and wheel bearings for the best experience and to keep it on the road for a long time. I love my Frenchies, they're a bit different to work on but not difficult, and the ride qualities are unique and enjoyable.
Likes For PilotFishBob:
Old 07-21-19, 12:26 PM
bikemig 

I don't know if you've looked at some of the threads on this model but it's definitely a cut above an entry level French bike (and the entry level French bikes make very good riders).

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...record-ii.html

https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/1977-...record-ii-2682

The catalogs are here

https://www.gitaneusa.com/images/catalog/1977_pg5.jpg

This is a neat bike.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-21-19, 12:41 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by fast_eddie_72

Okay, I bought a few tools, shift cables and a chain. I've got this thing working really well! I think it could use some deep cleaning. Otherwise it's a great bike!

Thanks for the info and help!
Have you overhauled the bottom bracket, headset, and hubs? An overhaul along with replacing the consumables like chain, cables, housing, tires makes a huge difference. You end up with a new old bike.

Love the combo of "safety" levers and high flange hubs. This is a total 70s bike. My Sekine SHS 271, also from the mid 70s has high flange hubs and "safety" levers as well:

Likes For bikemig:
Old 07-21-19, 05:30 PM
fast_eddie_72

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thank you guys. Yes, it needs all the items you suggested. The freewheel didn't really "freewheel" all that great when I got it. It worked itself out with some use, but I know there's gunked up grease in there. I'll read up on how to do that work and get it done! This forum has been a great resource.

Thanks!