Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Grand Cru Zeste Cantis for 700c conversion on 84' Miyata 610

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-16, 01:08 PM
sengduo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, I just got a rusty 610 for pretty cheap and want to do an overhaul on it - paint, 700c conversion, new brakes, chain rings, cockpit... turn it into a dialed in sport-tourer. I've got a nice velocity wheelset from another bike so that's why I want to convert the miyata.

I've been looking into splurging on nice new brakes but from what I've read, it sounds like 80's bikes, particularly the miyata tourers have narrow canti post placement and cant fit some modern brakes.

Does anyone have experience with the VO Grand Cru Zeste brakes for a 700c conversion? I've already read that paul cantis don't work. Might go with the newer Shimano CX70, but the grand crus look so damn nice.

thanks for the tips!
Old 02-17-16, 01:28 PM
icepick_trotsky 
Aspiring curmudgeon

Bikes: Guerciotti, Serotta, Gaulzetti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
Oof. Good luck. Unfortunately, these things are kind of trial and error based, so hopefully someone has tried this already so that you don't have to take a $150 bath if they don't fit.

Very nice looking brakes, though. If it doesn't fit, you should be able to sell them for most of your investment (hopefully), but that's a lot of up front cost.
Old 02-17-16, 01:29 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I had a Miyata 610 and tried to fit a variety of modern and vintage brakes. Most won't fit the fork properly.

I didn't try the Velo Orange Zeste brakes. I would contact Velo Orange to discuss. These look promising on paper, but I won't gamble at that price point.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 02-17-16, 01:46 PM
TenGrainBread 

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 650 Times in 336 Posts
Take some detailed measurements and send them to VO. They're pretty good about helping with this stuff.
Old 02-17-16, 04:22 PM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
Originally Posted by TenGrainBread
Take some detailed measurements and send them to VO. They're pretty good about helping with this stuff.
Distance c-t-c between canti posts and distance c-t-c from axle to point on the fork where canti post mounts, probably?

And if they pass on that, ask about their return policy. You eat the shipping cost, but at least you get your $140 back. Canti studs can be in many different positions relative to the axle from bike to bike (and sometimes year to year), so it's a crap shoot unless you find someone with the same bike model & year as the one you have, who also had experience mounting those brakes.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 02-17-16, 04:36 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Agree with everyone above. If they work, make sure you post a thread on it. We really ought to have a sticky on vintage bikes with cantilevers as to which cantilevers work.
Old 02-24-17, 07:26 PM
Scottybigs 

Bikes: Schwinn Voyageur SP | Sekine SHS-271 | Wabi Special

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sengduo
Hi, I just got a rusty 610 for pretty cheap and want to do an overhaul on it - paint, 700c conversion, new brakes, chain rings, cockpit... turn it into a dialed in sport-tourer. I've got a nice velocity wheelset from another bike so that's why I want to convert the miyata.

I've been looking into splurging on nice new brakes but from what I've read, it sounds like 80's bikes, particularly the miyata tourers have narrow canti post placement and cant fit some modern brakes.

Does anyone have experience with the VO Grand Cru Zeste brakes for a 700c conversion? I've already read that paul cantis don't work. Might go with the newer Shimano CX70, but the grand crus look so damn nice.

thanks for the tips!
Zombie thread, sorry, but OP--what was the solution? Shimano CX70's? VO Canti's? Or did you have to go vintage?
Old 02-25-17, 09:22 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 1,004 Times in 514 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottybigs
Zombie thread, sorry, but OP--what was the solution? Shimano CX70's? VO Canti's? Or did you have to go vintage?
Only one year old is pretty recent compared to some that have resurfaced lately.
Old 02-26-17, 06:40 PM
sengduo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottybigs
I took the stock brakes off of a 1994 Bridgestone rb-t and put them on the miyata. Since they worked great I didn't decide to upgrade so I never did find out what worked. I think these are deore cantis. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.