Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sizing advice Pashley Roadster 26

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-16, 01:58 AM
jessdog1966

Bikes: Brompton 3 speed, Fairdale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was about to purchase the Pashley Roadster 26 new, which is a 26 x 13/8 version of the Sovereign Roadster, which has 28" wheels.
I e-mailed Pashley with some questions and when I gave them my measurements they thought the 26"bicycle would be too small, despite Pashley's sizing guide recommending 27" - 31" for this model. I admire their honesty in this. They have suggested the 20.5 " frame Roadster with 28" wheels would be ideal. My inside leg measurement is 31" andd height is 5 feet 9 inches.

I have been reading about classic 26" English bikes and I see they mostly had 26" wheels but a vareity of frame size options. As I was intent on
having 26 inch wheels so I have been looking at buying a restored bicycle or an old one that needs work, which my bike shop Halford's would do.
I have concerns about sourcing parts, servicing so I am just revisiting the Pashley option again because I could order it on the cycle to work scheme and everything would be new (but look old).

The best Option would be to try the bicycle (26 Roadster) for size but this is not possible. Even Pashley dont have a working example as they make them to order. I feel like just ordering it but I've made so many bike buying impulse mistakes (mainly electric bikes) that I'm trying to be sensible this time. I am wondering how feasible and costly it would be to buy the complete Pashley Roadster 26 and then get the bike shop
(Halford's|) to fit a longer handle bar stem and seat post and if I can do this, how this would affect the bike when riding/ steering it.

Apart from the wheel size the 26 has a brown saddle and kick stand, which I would prefer.

I would be very grateful if someone could assist. My mechanical knowledge is non existent.

Thanks

Pashley Traditional Vintage Bikes, Womens & Gents
Attached Images
Old 04-08-16, 12:50 PM
tombc

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 28 Posts
If you want to avoid a buying impulse mistake I strongly advise against buying any bike you can't or haven't ridden.
Old 04-09-16, 09:06 AM
BigChief 

Mentioned: 103 Post(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 85 Posts
I wouldn't think twice about relying on their sizing chart. Pashley's are superb bikes. Wish I were shopping for one.
Old 04-09-16, 10:42 AM
NormanF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
I'd go with Pashley's advice. I'm 5'7" and I can go either way. I've even ridden a traditional roadster with 635 mm wheels.
Old 04-11-16, 11:10 PM
jessdog1966

Bikes: Brompton 3 speed, Fairdale

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your replies. I realise the bike might be a little cramped if bought as standard (26 x 1 3/8 wheels and 20 inch frame. ) My question was actually how easy or possible would it be to buy a slightly longer seat post and a slightly longer handlebar stem, given that the bicycle sold as standard spec' has adjustable handlebars already, to make it a little larger and more comfortable to ride.

It’s just I prefer the look of the smaller bike compared to the one with the 28" wheels. 26 are more traditional.

Also I am at the outer end 31" inside leg measurement mentioned on Pashley's website for this bicycle. I assume Pashley researched suitable leg measurements, when this sizing information was published.

Anyway I am about to embark on a journey to see a 10 year old version of the small Pashley Roadster being sold used on Gumtree in Blackpool. Wish me luck!

I'll bring it back to Manchester on train if it’s ok. Should be fun!