Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

loose fit jersey

Old 08-26-16, 08:02 PM
Lenkearney

Bikes: Cannon dale t700 touring bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
loose fit jersey

I am 5'8" and 220 - hate to say it but I have moobs and love handles... traditional bike jerseys highlight every lump and roll on my body -it's embarrassing. Have any of you found a loose fit Jersey?
Old 08-26-16, 08:56 PM
dagray

Bikes: Orbea Orca,Raleigh Talus 29er, Centurion Le Mans 12 speed

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
order one or two sizes bigger. Don't be embarrassed as you just need to remember that even if you only go around the block you are still beating the guy sitting on the couch.
Old 08-27-16, 07:03 AM
PatrickR400

Bikes: 2015 Ghost Panamao X3; 2015 Specialized Diverge Comp Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lenkearney
I am 5'8" and 220 - hate to say it but I have moobs and love handles... traditional bike jerseys highlight every lump and roll on my body -it's embarrassing. Have any of you found a loose fit Jersey?
Check Aero Tech Designs but if you could also force yourself "to not give a damn" and just ride. I know, easier said than done.
Old 08-27-16, 07:38 AM
JGM411

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2 2014(i think) Giant Defy Advanced 2 2013 Trek 7.3, 1973 Schwinn Continental, 1967 AMF Hercules

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
riding before sunrise helps.

REI sells Novara brand. Some of those jerseys are looser fitting.
Old 08-27-16, 07:55 AM
1242Vintage

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How about Canari brand. Long time ago I ordered several from an outfit called Sierra Trading Post. They were very inexpensive and decent quality. If you look at the models in the pics at that site you can see that they fit looser.

These days i order bike wear through Voler and get the "club cut" sizing. I'm 6' and 200 lbs and a large club cut jersey fits good .... Not too snug and not flapping in the wind.
Old 08-27-16, 08:00 AM
late

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 12171 Post(s)
Liked 1,481 Times in 1,094 Posts
Duluth makes polos from fancy fabrics. They are nicely tailored for the chunky, my wife keeps wanting me to wear them for the looks.

Men's Short Sleeve Armachillo Polo Shirt - Duluth Trading
Men's Dry On The Fly Wicking Polo - Duluth Trading
Men's Coolmax Cotton Longtail T Polo Shirt - Duluth Trading

This year they had 4 different models, I've got all four. They aren't a big company, so you may have to wait until next year when they restock for some sizes/models.
No biggie, they will be back in, in a few months.
Old 08-27-16, 08:11 AM
NYNurse

Bikes: Hybred

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You and I are close to the same dimensions so here's my 2 cents;
Nobody cares how your shirt fits except you.
There are a lot of people bigger then us and we aren't laughing at them. Nobody else is either.
Buy the shirt you like, get on the bike and enjoy the ride.
Old 08-27-16, 08:30 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
.... -it's embarrassing. ..
Plenty of options!

Buy bigger cycling jerseys.
Wear extra large Tee shirts.
Stop caring about your appearance.
Quit cycling.
Lose some weight.
Any combination of two or more of the above.

Being a clyde myself... I often use my appearance (or size) to motivate myself to diet. And... then sometimes I rationalize a bit too... comparing my fitness to the fitness of others. And then sometimes... I have to just discard my pride and enjoy myself. And for me... enjoying myself means riding my bikes.

I have lots of options about my size/fit/heath... as do you and everyone else. But as long as I live I feel obligated to myself to enjoy life as much as I can. Cycling is a great way to have a little healthy, clean fun. Keep your cycling separate from your feeling about your weight issues.

Last edited by Dave Cutter; 08-27-16 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08-27-16, 11:58 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by NYNurse
You and I are close to the same dimensions so here's my 2 cents;
Nobody cares how your shirt fits except you.
There are a lot of people bigger then us and we aren't laughing at them. Nobody else is either.
Buy the shirt you like, get on the bike and enjoy the ride.
Quoted for truth.

Find an REI or Performance bike so you can try them on in person. Look for "club cut" as opposed to race fit. You could also wear a compression shirt underneath the jersey - that tends to smooth out the lumps. I like the underarmor heat gear and wear the same size as my t-shirt (XL)
Old 08-27-16, 01:15 PM
dbikingman

Bikes: mountain bike, road bike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a jersey from LL Bean. I just checked and they have something similar. It has a couple of pockets in back, comfortable, and mine has lasted many seasons. It isn't my main go to jersey, but I did wear it often when I first got it.

It fits more like a tee shirt with pockets in the back.
Old 08-27-16, 04:59 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 602 Times in 371 Posts
If you don't need pockets, Target sells Champion T-shirts in wicking fabrics that are cheap and good - I'm 5' 7" and was 230; the XL fit pretty well, so you're between L or XL should work for you, depending on how you like it.

Pockets in the shirt are very nice to have, though. Performance Club II, $20 this weekend, is a cycling shirt that should fit you well in L or XL or even XXL if you like it really loose.
Old 08-27-16, 07:51 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
If you don't need pockets, Target sells Champion T-shirts in wicking fabrics that are cheap and good - I'm 5' 7" and was 230; the XL fit pretty well, so you're between L or XL should work for you, depending on how you like it.

Pockets in the shirt are very nice to have, though. Performance Club II, $20 this weekend, is a cycling shirt that should fit you well in L or XL or even XXL if you like it really loose.
This. Or Walmart and Starter brand. That's what all my t-shirts are for on the bike. Just bought 2 more last weekend for I think $5.98 each. Pockets full of stuff laying on my back isn't worth giving up 5 or more for the price of 1 for a jersey. I can't stand tight fitting clothing and I doubt any jersey would fit for me. I just wear "regular cut" wicking t-shirts. There are also "fitness cut" or "fitted cut" if you do like tighter clothing.

I'm 5' 7/8" and 220 lb. XL doesn't fit me at all. I wear 2X. Accidentally bought some other regular t-shirts the other day in XL thinking my old ones were 2X and they were getting too big. Bought at Sam's so I couldn't try them on first. Whoops, the shirts I was thinking were too big was the old 3X. Had to take them back to get 2X. Can't seem to lose the weight at all lately though. People tell me it's the age thing. I really think it's the dang cookies. So easy to buy them at work through the vending company.
Old 08-27-16, 08:35 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Bontrager Solstice. XL or XXL. Pretty generous cut. Fits almost like a TShirt.
Old 08-28-16, 09:58 AM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
At 300 lbs I wear hanes quick dri tee in size 2x and is very loose fitting. I paid $ 7 each and they wick as good as any bycicle shirt I've everf seen
Old 08-28-16, 10:53 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by coney462
At 300 lbs I wear hanes quick dri tee in size 2x and is very loose fitting. I paid $ 7 each and they wick as good as any bycicle shirt I've everf seen
Those work pretty well, as do C9 by Champion sold at Target. My only complaint about those is, the lack of pockets. I know there are other solutions but, it is easier to stow my wallet, phone and keys in a jersey pocket.
Old 08-28-16, 02:53 PM
ncbikers

Bikes: Schwinn Suburban (35 years old, the bikes not us), 2 Trek 7000, T900 (Tandem), 2 EZ Sports

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We tried and liked wicking t-shirts. The collar was a little tight so my wife put a 10" zipper in for me. I now have several. She liked the idea and has some with zippers also. We use them for general wear almost all summer as well as cycling.
Old 08-28-16, 05:37 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I have a PI jersey that is a loose fit, and it's baggy, I am 6'-3" and 235 lbs. Got it last year, it is a Veer model, they don't make them any more but they have some other Mtn bike jerseys that are loose fit, make sure that you know your chest size for a good fit.
Old 08-28-16, 05:39 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
yeah, but no pockets in the back
Old 08-28-16, 05:49 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by FXjohn
yeah, but no pockets in the back
At my size, fit and price outweigh (no pun intended here) pockets in the back. There are many alternatives to carry my stuff. If I needed pockets my very handy seamtress wife could make them, but in the end, these shirts work for me, even if they don't conform to everyone elses idea of a biking shirt
Old 08-28-16, 05:51 PM
FXjohn

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2985 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
At my size, fit and price outweigh (no pun intended here) pockets in the back. There are many alternatives to carry my stuff. If I needed pockets my very handy seamtress wife could make them, but in the end, these shirts work for me, even if they don't conform to everyone elses idea of a biking shirt
that would be very cool if she sewed in some pockets
Old 08-28-16, 06:01 PM
Primitive Don
Champion of the Low End

Bikes: I have some bikes

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 11 Posts
I would get familiar with the sizing charts on the websites of the jersey clothing manufacturers, then get some accurate chest size measurements. Being insecure about buying cycling clothing has caused me to buy clothing one size too large that doesn't look good either. Aerotech makes great cycling jackets for instance, but having a bright yellow jacket that hangs like a tent is no better use of $150 than buying one that's way too tight.

I recently bought the Humvee jersey from Endura in XXL and I'm very happy with the way it fits, not too tight was I was a bit heavier and still fits great now that I've lost a few pounds. I don't think they have that particular style/color in my size, but that would be a company that makes some larger size jerseys that would be worth a look. I got mine on the Aerotech website. I also have a Canari long sleeve jersey that fits ok but the fabric doesn't say 'quality.'
Old 08-28-16, 08:57 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
Aerotech....great stuff!!
Old 08-28-16, 09:43 PM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Performance's store brand cheaper jerseys are rather baggy and cheap.
Old 08-29-16, 06:39 AM
VCSL2015

Bikes: 2015 Cannondale Caad8 105 '92 Specialized HardRock,

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Quoted for truth.

Find an REI or Performance bike so you can try them on in person. Look for "club cut" as opposed to race fit. You could also wear a compression shirt underneath the jersey - that tends to smooth out the lumps. I like the underarmor heat gear and wear the same size as my t-shirt (XL)

totally weird. i went to REI and found about 4 jerseys. You guys bought them all or what?
Old 08-29-16, 09:32 AM
baron von trail 

Bikes: 3 good used ones

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All I wear are loose fit quick dry white T's. Not to hide the moobs or gut, but because they are comfortable and keep me cool.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.