Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Jamis Renegade owners

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 01:44 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Sakriv
"YMMV" is the takeaway I'm getting from your comments. My 58 cm Renegade Escapade feels perfect except I'd like those Ultegra R8020 hoods about 2 cm closer to to me horizontally, which the stem change will fix. I figured I'd share my height and inseam to give prospective buyers a clue on sizing, but I see that could be misleading because there are other measurements and factors at play like flexibility and intended use. No substitute for getting a fitting done with a close look at every geometry difference. I didn't notice how much the head tubes would change until the shop owner pointed it out during my fitting, and since I didn't want an aggressively aerodynamic posture, he suggested I get the 58 cm over the 56 and just replace the 110 mm stem with a 90 mm, which was spot on.
Sounds perfect. I think one of the things that makes the Renegade sizing fluctuate so much among various owners is its long-ish top tube. The 54cm has a 55.1cm ETT and the 56cm has a 57cm ETT. I normally ride a 56cm in everything but I doubt I would be comfortable riding a 56cm Renegade.
Old 02-26-18, 05:39 PM
Derekve

Bikes: 2015 Specialized Sirrus Base, 2018 Jamis Renegade Expat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks everyone for all your input! After checking out other forums/websites, it seems like the reach issue is a common problem for most. Luckily it seems that getting a shorter stem, generally 20mm less than stock, have helped the majority greatly.

I get my full fitting March 9th so i will hopefully make the changes needed that day. I'm so anxious to get this done lol
Old 02-26-18, 08:14 PM
vwaldoguy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking to buy a Jamis Renegade Expat in the next few weeks. Also looking at the Trek Crossrip 2, but I like the bigger tire clearance on the Renegade. I've ridden a hybrid for the last 13 years, so going to a drop bar bike may feel pretty awkward for me. However, I'd like to get into rail trail rides, which may include bike packing, so I want something that can take bigger tires, and fenders and racks. My Trek 7500Fx (13 years old) is still in great shape, but time for an upgrade. 5'11, with a 33" inseam, so looking at a 56cm. Honestly not sure the $1000 upgrade is worth it to go to 105 groupset and hydraulic brakes.
Old 02-26-18, 08:49 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vwaldoguy
Looking to buy a Jamis Renegade Expat in the next few weeks. Also looking at the Trek Crossrip 2, but I like the bigger tire clearance on the Renegade. I've ridden a hybrid for the last 13 years, so going to a drop bar bike may feel pretty awkward for me. However, I'd like to get into rail trail rides, which may include bike packing, so I want something that can take bigger tires, and fenders and racks. My Trek 7500Fx (13 years old) is still in great shape, but time for an upgrade. 5'11, with a 33" inseam, so looking at a 56cm. Honestly not sure the $1000 upgrade is worth it to go to 105 groupset and hydraulic brakes.
Thats what the guy at my LBS pointed out to me. He said the Expat is the best combo of value and quality components in his opinion. Said it could be upgraded over time and didn't like the price jump to the Exploit. The frame is made out if better 631 steel so i suppose that factors in. How much better compared to the 520 steel expat? Idk lol
Old 02-26-18, 09:04 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Danny01
Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net

this tool will give you a good idea of what a stem flip, shorter stem etc will do. a 6 degree stem pointed down is a -6 degree stem.
Thank you for sharing this!
Old 02-26-18, 09:26 PM
Danny01

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by vwaldoguy
There is more than just the group and brakes. The brakes are flat mount on the Exploit and the rear is mounted on the chainstay as opposed to the post mount seat stay mount on the Expat. Also, the Expat is Reynolds 520, which is just Reynolds branded 4130 made in Asia. The Exploit get Reynolds 631, which is the same chemistry as the high end 853, but not heat treated. It is stronger than 520, and does not weaken when welded like 520 does. You also get a carbon seatpost and Centerlock hubs Shimano rotors. I think the $1,000 is justfied. Worth is subjective. But honestly 105 is being replaced very soon and the 105 level hydro shifters that are on the Exploit leave something to be desired. The $500 step up to the Exploit is worth it in my opinion, for the shifters alone. The 8020 shifters are a huge improvement from the 505/685.
Old 03-04-18, 12:21 PM
hammb

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Visited several of my LBS yesterday for some test rides. It was the first day in awhile that we didn't have rain/snow and it was nice enough to get out on the road with some bikes. After testing the CrossRip, the DiVerge, and Renegade I think the Renegade was my favorite ride, and also at an LBS that was willing to knock some off the price (I think these are still 2017 vintage bikes). They had the Exploit, the Expat, and the Exile all in stock and in my size (54). I rode all 3. My budget was a pretty hard fast $1000, but after riding all 3 the Exile just feels like a completely different bike. THe Exploit is obviously way out of my price range, the only reason I rode that one was because it was on the floor (the others were in their warehouse) and she just wanted me to go out and get a feel for the bike. Once I loved it, I asked to ride the other levels.

To me the Expat felt a LOT closer to the Exploit than the Exile did to the Expat. The jump in groupset was VERY noticeable both in ease of shifting and the closer jumps in gears. The brakes also felt a lot better to me. The overall ride was night & day, I'm guessing because you're going from aluminum to steel w/ a carbon fork. I really am a novice when it comes to any of these bikes. I'm coming from a 15 year old diamondback big box mountain bike, so they are all an obvious upgrade, but as a complete novice the jump was plain as day. I'm sure I could live with the Exile, but I'd probably think about the difference everytime I'm on the bike. They're closed on Sundays but I plan to go in tomorrow and hopefully she's still got it there. She's offering me 15% off the $1200 price, so that knocks it down real close to my initial budget.

Anything else I should look for check out on the bike before I buy? Looking forward to joining the Jamis Renegade owners group
Old 03-04-18, 01:20 PM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Derekve
Thanks everyone for all your input! After checking out other forums/websites, it seems like the reach issue is a common problem for most. Luckily it seems that getting a shorter stem, generally 20mm less than stock, have helped the majority greatly.

I get my full fitting March 9th so i will hopefully make the changes needed that day. I'm so anxious to get this done lol
I think we’re in a similar boat. I’m 6’ 2” 33ish inseam. I’ve always felt like I’m reaching on my road bike. Bike fitter shortened my stem exactly what you’re doing and it worked. My bike fitter actually started out with saddle and getting knees over correct place over cranks before even looking at front of bike. Then he shortened the stem.
Old 03-04-18, 07:10 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hammb
Visited several of my LBS yesterday for some test rides. It was the first day in awhile that we didn't have rain/snow and it was nice enough to get out on the road with some bikes. After testing the CrossRip, the DiVerge, and Renegade I think the Renegade was my favorite ride, and also at an LBS that was willing to knock some off the price (I think these are still 2017 vintage bikes). They had the Exploit, the Expat, and the Exile all in stock and in my size (54). I rode all 3. My budget was a pretty hard fast $1000, but after riding all 3 the Exile just feels like a completely different bike. THe Exploit is obviously way out of my price range, the only reason I rode that one was because it was on the floor (the others were in their warehouse) and she just wanted me to go out and get a feel for the bike. Once I loved it, I asked to ride the other levels.

To me the Expat felt a LOT closer to the Exploit than the Exile did to the Expat. The jump in groupset was VERY noticeable both in ease of shifting and the closer jumps in gears. The brakes also felt a lot better to me. The overall ride was night & day, I'm guessing because you're going from aluminum to steel w/ a carbon fork. I really am a novice when it comes to any of these bikes. I'm coming from a 15 year old diamondback big box mountain bike, so they are all an obvious upgrade, but as a complete novice the jump was plain as day. I'm sure I could live with the Exile, but I'd probably think about the difference everytime I'm on the bike. They're closed on Sundays but I plan to go in tomorrow and hopefully she's still got it there. She's offering me 15% off the $1200 price, so that knocks it down real close to my initial budget.

Anything else I should look for check out on the bike before I buy? Looking forward to joining the Jamis Renegade owners group
I did not test ride any other renegades because of my budget and I knew I wanted steel and not aluminum. I think the Expat is a much better choice than the Exile. I know I'd be happy with the 15% off too!
Old 03-04-18, 07:16 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by biketampa
I think we’re in a similar boat. I’m 6’ 2” 33ish inseam. I’ve always felt like I’m reaching on my road bike. Bike fitter shortened my stem exactly what you’re doing and it worked. My bike fitter actually started out with saddle and getting knees over correct place over cranks before even looking at front of bike. Then he shortened the stem.
Yes, very similar. I get a full fitting this friday. The lady who is doing the fitting mentioned saddle position, height, and stem length etc. I'm looking forward to it to say the least. How much was your stem shortened and what bike was it done to?
Old 03-05-18, 07:11 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

Bikes: 2014 Jamis Ventura Race, 2014 Cervelo P2, 2017 Raleigh Tamland 1, 2015 Jamis Trail X

Yes, very similar. I get a full fitting this friday. The lady who is doing the fitting mentioned saddle position, height, and stem length etc. I'm looking forward to it to say the least. How much was your stem shortened and what bike was it done to?
I think I went from 110cm to 90cm stem. My bike size is a 58cm. It's a 2014 Jamis Ventura Race
Old 03-05-18, 08:40 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I went from 110cm to 90cm stem. My bike size is a 58cm. It's a 2014 Jamis Ventura Race
That is a nice bike! After playing around with a stem calculator, i think a 90cm stem with a +15° will be my best bet. It will shorten my reach 25mm but only raise the height 2 mm or so.
Old 03-07-18, 08:13 AM
biketampa
I don’t live in Tampa

That is a nice bike! After playing around with a stem calculator, i think a 90cm stem with a +15° will be my best bet. It will shorten my reach 25mm but only raise the height 2 mm or so.
Thanks. I like the bike. I like Jamis bikes. I always feel they're a pretty good value. I also have a raleigh tamland 1 which is my gravel bike.
Old 03-08-18, 09:14 AM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 281 Posts
Not sure if I should start my own thread, but I have a quick question: I have a 2017 Renegade Exploit in a size 51 and I keep striking my shoe on the front wheel. Will going to a 650B wheel eliminate this? I'm guessing it may... Thanks.
Old 03-08-18, 12:24 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3661 Post(s)
Liked 5,408 Times in 2,747 Posts
Probably will not help as much as you might think. Someone can do the math for you if you post what size tire you are using now and what size 650b tire you might go to. Toe overlap can be scary if it bites you out of the blue but it's not uncommon and most people can adjust if they know it's an issue.
Old 03-08-18, 07:09 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I like the bike. I like Jamis bikes. I always feel they're a pretty good value. I also have a raleigh tamland 1 which is my gravel bike.

Yes, I agree! Jamis bikes are a good value. The Tamland is a nice bike as well and I did consider it when researching gravel/adventure bikes.
Old 03-09-18, 01:11 PM
shoota 

Yes, I agree! Jamis bikes are a good value. The Tamland is a nice bike as well and I did consider it when researching gravel/adventure bikes.
There hasn't been a better value than the Tamland 1 when it was on super sale a couple years back.
Old 03-09-18, 06:01 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For those interested... Had my bike fitting today and my stem was replaced with a 90mm +6 degree one. Amazing what 20mm's can do lol.
Old 03-14-18, 07:28 PM
hammb

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I picked up my new Renegade Expat last week. And mother nature must hate me because we haven't seen 40* since so I haven't even gotten on it since my test ride (yeah, I'm a wuss, not out there riding in the cold).

Anyway, I would maybe like to tow my son's Burley trailer with this bike. My trailer has the old style "classic" hitch which will not work with the disc brakes. Burley informed me that I can purchase the Flex Connector and their steel hitch for bikes with thru axels or disc brakes. Has anybody installed one of these hitches on their Renegade? It looks like I just unscrew the quick release on the rear wheel, and slip it over the axle and then tighten the quick release back on?
Old 03-20-18, 03:27 PM
Derekve

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has any Jamis Renegade steel/aluminum frame owners run WTB Resolute tires on their bikes? Even though the tires are listed as 42mm wide, I've read some reviews that when they are fully inflated, they measure upwards to 43-45mm and I'm wondering if they might be too wide for my Expat (rated for up to 42mm).
Old 03-20-18, 04:06 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliwild
Not sure if I should start my own thread, but I have a quick question: I have a 2017 Renegade Exploit in a size 51 and I keep striking my shoe on the front wheel. Will going to a 650B wheel eliminate this? I'm guessing it may... Thanks.
Depending on how much overlap you have, you could look into getting an angled/offset headset.

The ones I read about some time ago were 1/2 degree offset.
Apparently the best ones are made by a UK firm, whose name I forget.

I'm pretty sure they do a 1 also.

You'd have to do the math prior to purchasing, so you know how far out front it will position the wheel.
Old 03-20-18, 05:57 PM
Caliwild

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 671 Times in 281 Posts
Originally Posted by tangerineowl
Depending on how much overlap you have, you could look into getting an angled/offset headset.

The ones I read about some time ago were 1/2 degree offset.
Apparently the best ones are made by a UK firm, whose name I forget.

I'm pretty sure they do a 1 also.

You'd have to do the math prior to purchasing, so you know how far out front it will position the wheel.
Thanks... going to try to figure out if 650B plus shorter cranks will do it. If not, might have to sell it...
Old 03-28-18, 07:09 AM
D.zo

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lots of good information on this thread. I was in between two bikes and I think I am going to go with the 2018 Renegade Exploit.

Anything I should know before committing? I haven't been able to test ride the bike as none of the shops near me have one available.

Any arguments for going up from the exploit to the escapade?

The differences I see are:

-WTB i23 Frequency Team i23 disc rims vs. WTB i23 STS disc rims
-Ultegra vs. 105,
-Saddles are different
-Overall weight is almost 2 lbs lighter on the escapade.

Last edited by D.zo; 03-28-18 at 07:30 AM.
Old 03-28-18, 07:54 AM
shoota 

Originally Posted by D.zo
Lots of good information on this thread. I was in between two bikes and I think I am going to go with the 2018 Renegade Exploit.

Anything I should know before committing? I haven't been able to test ride the bike as none of the shops near me have one available.

Any arguments for going up from the exploit to the escapade?

The differences I see are:

-WTB i23 Frequency Team i23 disc rims vs. WTB i23 STS disc rims
-Ultegra vs. 105,
-Saddles are different
-Overall weight is almost 2 lbs lighter on the escapade.
Seems like the Exploit is the better value of the two, with its hydro brakes.

I guess you're set on steel? Because the Expert is the same money as Escapade and is carbon and has hydro brakes. That would be my personal choice.
Old 03-28-18, 08:06 AM
D.zo

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
I guess you're set on steel?
You can say that... I am more of a road guy, and have had a couple of carbon road bikes - currently: Giant Propel Advanced 1.

Something about the steel... just seems right for this bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.