Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

My first set of Compass tires, $162.00 waste of money

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

My first set of Compass tires, $162.00 waste of money

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-19, 08:03 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
No doubt. But you're talking about fault on the part of the consumer. Compass was trying to absolve themselves of fauly due to their OWN actions.

I mean this is obviously an extreme example, but if a tire spontaneously explodes and incinerates half the people on a group ride, Compass is responsible for a whole lot more than a replacement tire.
tires don't just spontaneously explode!

If that is your argument....
THEN: you first need to prove they never damaged the tire, they never had too much PSI, they never used faulty tire levers, jacks, or anything else. etc......

honestly you really have no idea other than what you were told. None of us do.
Old 07-30-22, 07:18 AM
Psych_on_bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A few notes on the Rat Trap Pass. Having been through a few, I’ve learned some lessons. 1) scary fast on gravel. You don’t feel the speed, and then you’re passing everyone until that T intersection…… 2) They either air up and hold or they don’t. I was going to try to get a warranty before I tried a last ditch hack: diluted Panaracer sealant for sidewall leaks. Yup. Worked like a charm. 3) If you run them below 30 psi tubeless you’ll go very far without excessive wear or flats. The contact patch should be about 1 inch wide. Narrower and your weight is all on a thin bit of rubber, and you’ll bounce. 4) They can be sketchy on a steep crown as they auto steer. 5)I’ve patched large holes from the inside (had to work an extra shift to afford these) with great results. 5) The ride is sublime
Likes For Psych_on_bike:
Old 07-30-22, 08:32 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1784 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
Revisiting a 2-1/2 year dormant thread...
I have found Compass tires and the Panaracer tires too, for that matter fit very loose on Velocity rims. The solution is to fill the valley with a few rounds of 13mm or 16mm Velox, then to wrap the rim in the usual manner with 2+ rounds of rim tape. Filling the valley limits the air loss on initial inflation so that the tire can be inflated. The extra rounds of rim tape keep the bead tight. A good installation should "pop-pop" into place.

Compass tires are much more susceptible to sidewall ooze. If this is a problem, even with good thick sealant, dismount the tire, clean it, and smear on a bit of Shoo-Goo over the problem area.

Sidewall ooze is much more likely if a Compass tire was first inflated or used in a tubed application. You can always go back to tubes but you can't start with tubes.

The thin, porous sidewalls also mean the sealant will dry out quickly. So, check your sealant often. It's easy. Pull the valve core, use an old spoke as a dipstick & proceed accordingly.

Darts are easy to use. In the span of time since this thread started, I've only needed to use one.

For tubeless, I run 30-35psi on 54mm tires, 40-45psi on 44mm tires, 45-50 psi on 38mm tires, and 85psi on skinny 25's. I don't know what the OP was on about. 50psi is a damn lot.

Worth the hype.

rpthomas I'm curious how the OP's situation resolved...Re-rim the wheel? New wheel? LBS mechanic error? Still on tubeless or has that train left the station?

Last edited by base2; 07-30-22 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-30-22, 08:42 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
It is really a bummer all I am reading about issues with Compass tubeless.

I am on my 3rd set of Compass Tires. Stampede Pass, then Bon Jon Pass, and now Barlow Pass. All extralight.

I have looooooved them all. IMO they live up to every once of their hype and then some.

For my last wheelset, I got them built with WTB KOM i21 rims, so I could try tubeless, and I got the Barlow Pass tires planning to run them tubeless. I got them last fall, but just never got around to setting them up.

I planned to set them up this weekend, but when I googled info on setting up Compass tubeless, I read nothing but problems. And then an hour later this theead pops up.

Guess I’ll stick with tubes for now.

Been running tubeless on my MTB for many years with zero issues and easy setup with a floor pump every time.
well, since this thread got revived anyway I may as well follow up this previous post.

I did end up setting up these Barlow Pass tubless. Everything set up fine and was good for maybe 1000 or so miles.

But then they started leaking air and sealant, I assume through the side walls as they were always weeping. I went through more sealant in these tires than my mountain bike and fat by put together. These tires still have a lot of life in tread. I ended up sticking tubes back in them.

As far as durability, I found these to be perfectly fine. The tread has got a decent thickness to it, and I have gotten no more flats with these than any other tire. I’ve never damage the sidewall in any of the extralights.

I think what it comes down to is you just can’t have sidewalls this then and supple and still be able to do tubeless well.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 07-30-22, 09:14 AM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 432 Posts
mepps... didn't check the date...

Last edited by cyclezen; 07-30-22 at 09:17 AM.
Old 07-30-22, 09:31 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 3,412 Times in 1,783 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
well, since this thread got revived anyway I may as well follow up this previous post.

I did end up setting up these Barlow Pass tubless. Everything set up fine and was good for maybe 1000 or so miles.

But then they started leaking air and sealant, I assume through the side walls as they were always weeping..
I use their recommended Panaracer sealant for the initial set-up, which will take a lot and seals the side walls, and then top off with (compatible) Orange Seal Endurance after a couple of months.
Old 07-30-22, 09:39 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

The main problem with using Barlows (or similar) tubeless is that if anything you wind up having to inflate them a bit more (to a higher pressure) than with tubes, primarily because the tires are so supple that they have no sidewall support, and will collapse in a turn at lower pressure. This negates one of the claimed advantages of tubeless, i.e., being able to run at lower pressure.

It is possible that tires experiencing side-wall leaking 1000 miles after mounting are having this kind of breakdown. You can see a black cross-hatching pattern develop if you have tan sidewalls and they are under-inflated.
Old 07-30-22, 04:21 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
I have been running Compass/Rene Herse tires on at least one bike for eight years now and have never had a problem. They are excellent tires though they are not super durable. I mostly ride 38MM at 35 - 38 PSI and I weigh 210 (pounds not stones!). 50 PSI is WAY too high to get any enjoyment out of those tires. You should be trying around 32-33 PSI and work down from there.
Old 07-30-22, 06:58 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
The main problem with using Barlows (or similar) tubeless is that if anything you wind up having to inflate them a bit more (to a higher pressure) than with tubes, primarily because the tires are so supple that they have no sidewall support, and will collapse in a turn at lower pressure. This negates one of the claimed advantages of tubeless, i.e., being able to run at lower pressure.

This was not my experience running them with tubes versus tubeless.
Old 07-30-22, 07:39 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Originally Posted by dwmckee
I have been running Compass/Rene Herse tires on at least one bike for eight years now and have never had a problem. They are excellent tires though they are not super durable. I mostly ride 38MM at 35 - 38 PSI and I weigh 210 (pounds not stones!). 50 PSI is WAY too high to get any enjoyment out of those tires. You should be trying around 32-33 PSI and work down from there.
I used to do that, too. Here is what the Rene Herse tire pressure calculator says (I guessed 235 pounds for fully kitted rider plus bike):

Old 07-30-22, 08:16 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
I would not ride up and down my driveway with just 32-33 lbs at 200+ lbs
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-30-22, 10:52 PM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

I've run them a lot lower, and I don't weigh in much less. They are fine for the most part, but they do wallow if under-inflated, and they have some sidewall markings where they fold.

Old 07-31-22, 10:18 AM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
At 180lbs I’ve got the very same tires on my gravel bike and at 40 PSI they felt awfully squirrelly and cornering was downright scary. I find that closer to 60 PSI and they feel terrific.
Old 07-31-22, 12:18 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Interesting. I weigh 215# and Silca says a 38mm gravel tire should be 43.5psi rear and 41.5psi front.
It shows my 43mm tires should even be inflated a bit higher than what you set your 38s at.

I definitely inflate more than the current trend and even what inset my 43mm tires at(45psi) is at the limit for what feels goof overall on pavement and gravel. The ride gets all drifty and rolly when I go under 35psi.

Always intersting to see how each of us rides
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 07-31-22, 12:37 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

I’m 175 lbs. for mixed gravel and pavement, I run my Barlows around 38/44 front/rear. Rims are 23mm internal width.

Lower than that and the front is starting to get squirmy on paved corners, and the rear risks rim strikes on bad pavement (potholes or uneven seams).

For just gravel I will go 5 psi lower each end, but I am mindful of what I am hitting.
Old 08-05-22, 07:37 PM
Chilepines

Bikes: 1984 homemade 531SL road bike; 1988 Ritchey TimberComp; 1997 Nashbar tandem; 1998 Kona Explosif; Specialized Epic, Scott CR1 Pro; Salsa Beargrease; Curtlo custom Tandem, Curtlo custom S3 steel gravel bike.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 37 Posts
I’m 170 lb and running RH Hurricane Ridge 700x42 Extralight in the low 30s. At 35 they feel firm, a little lower and they feel sublime. And with Orange Seal Endurance they stopped weeping in about a minute.
Back to the issue of tubeless standards (I posted this a couple months ago in a different thread) I had a Specialized Sawtooth blow off a Light Bicycle hookless carbon rim inflated to 65 psi - luckily not while we were on the tandem. I’ve run them at 55 since and no blowout. Having said that, I’m just not convinced anymore that tubeless has much advantage unless you are running pretty low pressures.
Likes For Chilepines: