Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Adjust Front Derailleur

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Adjust Front Derailleur

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-18, 10:25 AM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
Adjust Front Derailleur

I know this should be really easy but I cant figure it out.

I have 105 front Derailleur with RS505 Hydraulic shifters. The cables run through the frame. On the exposed cable, I don't see any barrel adjuster to twist and make fine adjustments.
What am I missing?
Old 10-01-18, 11:41 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Do you know if this is a 105 5800 FD (with the long arm) or 105 5801 FD? On the 5800, you would most likely need to add an in-line adjustment barrel somewhere between the lever and the derailleur for fine adjustments. The 5801 is an updated versions that uses the same mechanics as the new R7000/8000/9100. On those, there is an cable adjustment screw built directly into the front derailleur itself.
Old 10-01-18, 12:10 PM
Razorrock

Bikes: Litespeed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 21 Posts
It must be the 5800. It is on a 2018 Scott Speedster Gravel. I don't se any adjustment on the Derailleur, just the wire going under the locking screw.

I just picked it up from the bike shop, from having them adjust it for a bike fitting I did. Get it home and the front derailleur is rubbing. It's a busy week for me and would be easier for me to make adjustment than take back to shop later this week. Oh well.
Old 10-01-18, 12:26 PM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
Have you checked to see if you have the inline adjustment barrels? I'm pretty sure Scott would have installed those on the bike. I did a quick image search, and it looks like the bikes I saw had them installed. Don't forget to check the limit screws as they could also be a source of rubbing as well.

Kind of hard to see in this pic, but there is one on the shift cable coming out of the left/front shifter. It doesn't appear this one has one for the rear, which is fine since it has it's own adjustment barrel.