Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

The most exciting gravel bike for 2020 is...

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

The most exciting gravel bike for 2020 is...

Old 06-05-19, 07:48 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1871 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 467 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Ok, im sure this wont get much traction since its a bike by GT, but how has the new Grade not been discussed after the initial post?!?

That is a really cool bike.

- fits 42mm tires
- sensible unpaved gearing of 46/30 with 11-34.
- fork has an adjustable dropout to change trail depending on riding preference/style.
- seatstays are fiberglass core and dont attach to the seat tube at all now.
- all are 2x drivetrains.
- the seat tube is cut out to allow space for large tires and fenders(curious how this affects stiffness?).
- mounts all over the place- fork, bento, bottle cages, rack, fenders.
- external cable routing for easy service.

Really interested in the fork- that is interesting and allows it to feel like a couple different bikes.
As far as tech- this is way cooler to me than some elevated chainstays that are inherently more flexible and seem kinda gimmicky since other brands accomplish the same result with a more traditional/established setup.
Agreed. The original Grade has a cult following even though it only could just barely squeeze in 38s with no mud clearance. I wish it came in any other color than black though, black bikes are so dang boring. And bikes aren't supposed to be boring. /endrant
Old 06-05-19, 08:13 AM
Junkbeast

Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane SL 5 Gen 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
That Santa Cruz is sweet. My first real skateboard deck back around 85-86 was a Santa Cruz. I'd explore the Stigmata but like the U.P. it's going to cost too much to justify to wife. Ugh.

Ok, im sure this wont get much traction since its a bike by GT, but how has the new Grade not been discussed after the initial post?!?
What's up with GT? They were good BMX bikes when I was a kid. The Grade's frame is a little wonky to me but it seems nice too.
Old 06-05-19, 08:34 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
Agreed. The original Grade has a cult following even though it only could just barely squeeze in 38s with no mud clearance. I wish it came in any other color than black though, black bikes are so dang boring. And bikes aren't supposed to be boring. /endrant
This. To each his own, but I'm tired of black bikes. My road bike is royal blue and the Revolt I ordered is metallic orange (it's the lower spec model, but I wanted the color, can always upgrade components).
Old 06-05-19, 08:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by shoota
completely agree- black(especially matte black) bikes are completely boring and uninspiring. But i am a child of the late 80s and 90s, so fades, splatter, and bright paint will never go out of style for me.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 06-20-19, 01:08 AM
sweetspot

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Finally we have a carbon topstone with 30 mm kingpin rear suspension!
https://m.startfitness.co.uk/cannond...c15600m10.html
Old 07-05-19, 11:02 AM
sweetspot

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Rondo is cooking another interesting gravel / bikepacking bike: Bogan ST with massive 2.1 700c tire clearance and yet quite short chainstays (435).
https://granfondo-cycling.com/rondo-...ing-unlimited/
Old 07-05-19, 01:01 PM
SilverRubicon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by sweetspot
Rondo is cooking another interesting gravel / bikepacking bike: Bogan ST with massive 2.1 700c tire clearance and yet quite short chainstays (435).
The top tube and reach measurements on that bike are crazy long. Maybe the stem length is accounted for in the reach?

Last edited by SilverRubicon; 07-05-19 at 01:04 PM.
Old 07-06-19, 05:26 PM
jan nikolajsen 
Mostly Mischief

Liked 58 Times in 24 Posts
Have two weeks on the 2020 Stigmata. 60cm, 700c with 40mm tires and Ultegra, totally stock. 19.6 lbs ready to ride with pedals, cages, Garmin mount.

It’s a zippy thing, for sure.

For comparison I sold a 2019 Tarmac because it felt dull and unexciting compared to my 2015 Cannondale SuperSix (which I kept and happily put back in commission) - for me the Stig is easily a more spirited bike than the Tarmac on the road. I’m not into the two wheelset thing, but someone could be fine on fast group rides with proper road wheels/tires and rule the dirt the next day with the stock setup.

The gravel/single track experience is so far also excellent - this is a drop bar bike from a dedicated MTB outfit.

Around here things are pretty rough once off the pavement. With its mountain bike pedigree I can see the Stig do really well with a dropper/suspension post and a Redshift stem. For me personally I think I prefer the bike in clean roadbike clothes, as I enjoy the approaches as much as the dirt itself.

I work part time at a dealership and the inside price SC offered this one at was very good; and with the super high demand for these bikes I’m grateful for them to fulfill employee purchases so speedily.
Old 07-08-19, 11:18 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Hate on its origins all you want, but the Viathon G1 has my eye at the moment. Clearance for 700x51mm tires with road geometry checks the box for me.

Just saw this now. Looks great. Plus a low BB and supports 2x. I'm liking it, just wish it was carbon.
Old 07-08-19, 03:45 PM
sweetspot

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Caliper
Hate on its origins all you want, but the Viathon G1 has my eye at the moment. Clearance for 700x51mm tires with road geometry checks the box for me.
IT is amazing how big tire clearance this bike has!

But going back to main subject:

BMC has a new soft tail gravel bike with MTB like long geometry. Similary to new Rondo bike:
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/urs-one-301837.html
Is this a new trend in gravel bikes?
Old 07-08-19, 03:59 PM
chief9245

Bikes: 2017 Argon 18 Krypton Xroad, 2017 Bombtrack Arise 2, 2018 Bombtrack Hook EXT-C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 37 Posts

I'm partial to the Bombtrack Hook EXT-C, mainly because I have one, but it has some great numbers too.
Likes For chief9245:
Old 07-08-19, 08:56 PM
Caliper

BMC has a new soft tail gravel bike with MTB like long geometry. Similary to new Rondo bike:
The link keeps going to a 404 before the page fully loads...

But, I hope this isn't a trend. Or at least not for all gravel bikes. Plenty of people here in Michigan that don't even see the need for rear suspension on their mountain bike.

I can see the gravel bike market splitting in two directions actually.
One, your more western US gravel bikes that are becoming drop bar mountain bikes. Full suspension and 27.5+ tires.

Two, midwestern and eastern US gravel bikes that are off-pavement road bikes. You could roller skate on many of our dirt roads. But elsewhere we do have enough sand and even more washboard and loose over hardpack that bigger tires are needed. The road commission loves to sprinkle a very light bit of gravel on the roads now and then. Really nothing more than ball bearings for extra excitement. Tall BB's and suspension isn't much use, but a bigger contact patch is.
Old 07-09-19, 12:56 AM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts

Short stems are better for dirt riding. You don't want a bike that handles like crap on the dirt.
Old 07-09-19, 01:06 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts

That bike will not sell well in Australia.

I see that the company behind this bike is Polish, so no doubt they don't know what the word "Bogan" means in Australia and I suspect New Zealand too.

It would be like marketing a bike in England under the name "The Chav".
Old 07-09-19, 03:02 AM
sweetspot

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
The link keeps going to a 404 before the page fully loads...
Try on your mobile. It works for me.

Originally Posted by jan nikolajsen
Have two weeks on the 2020 Stigmata. 60cm, 700c with 40mm tires and Ultegra, totally stock. 19.6 lbs ready to ride with pedals, cages, Garmin mount.

It’s a zippy thing, for sure.

For comparison I sold a 2019 Tarmac because it felt dull and unexciting compared to my 2015 Cannondale SuperSix (which I kept and happily put back in commission) - for me the Stig is easily a more spirited bike than the Tarmac on the road. I’m not into the two wheelset thing, but someone could be fine on fast group rides with proper road wheels/tires and rule the dirt the next day with the stock setup.

The gravel/single track experience is so far also excellent - this is a drop bar bike from a dedicated MTB outfit.

Around here things are pretty rough once off the pavement. With its mountain bike pedigree I can see the Stig do really well with a dropper/suspension post and a Redshift stem. For me personally I think I prefer the bike in clean roadbike clothes, as I enjoy the approaches as much as the dirt itself.

I work part time at a dealership and the inside price SC offered this one at was very good; and with the super high demand for these bikes I’m grateful for them to fulfill employee purchases so speedily.
Cool. Can you tell me how comfortable this bike is on rough surfaces? And how do you evaluate tire clearance? Do you think that there is a possibility to put 700c 50 tire? The 425 dropped chainstay is very similar to G1 from walmart and their bike takes even 51c...

Last edited by sweetspot; 07-09-19 at 03:07 AM.
Old 07-09-19, 06:36 AM
Caliper

Try on your mobile. It works for me.
That was on mobile. It does load on desktop though.

I'm not seeing anything exceptional. I also wouldn't call that a softtail; looks like tuned compliance via some sort of elastic insert, similar concept to many on the market already. It should work and if you can change out the insert to tune the stiffness to suit rider taste that would be better (Spec Diverge fails here - it was too soft and I found it caused me pedal bob depending on cadence/effort). It's specced with 42mm tires so tire clearance doesn't look huge, maybe enough for 45mm?

However, it appears to be 1x only, so no interest. Midwest gravel here, we draft and run pacelines on gravel at times so I absolutely love my road compact crankset and can't see giving that up until we get several more cogs out back.
Old 07-09-19, 08:09 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts

Odd- I cant get that link to work on desktop. I googled 'BMC URS ONE' and a link appears, but then with I click that, the bike appears for a brief second while the page loads, then a 404 error appears. And if i search the BMC site, they dont show that as a bike at all(not when using the search bar or the dropdown menu). I doubt I will be wowed as itll probably just look like a carbon gravel bike with low seat stays and sharp angles(cuz its BMC), but Im curious now that I cant see the bike on their site.

As for if this is a new trend- it isnt new, but it seems to be gaining traction for both gravel and paved road. Adding in suspension to the rear end is something that Trek, BMC, Niner, Cannondale, Pinarello(Dogma), Lapierre, Volagi, Merida, are doing. Some are using full blown suspension gadgets, others are using floating stays, some use hinging stays, and others are using stays that are apparently as flexible as rubber bands.
But if BMC's bike is an outright soft tail, then its in a rare group with Niner and...i think 1 other brand?

I am sure there is a market for a suspension frame MTB that is pretending to be a road bike. People use their bikes for all sorts of things and for some reason it seems popular for some buyers to seek out 'quiver killers', so of course brands will design bikes that could be viewed as quiver killers.

Upthread, its posted that there may be a split within the niche gravel market based on region of the country(and therefore local terrain worldwide). I could see that for sure. As it stands, the gravel bike spectrum is quite wide- from aggressive road bike with wide tires, to endurance road bike with wide tires, to sturdy adventure drop bar bike with wide tires, to 29er with drop bars and of course wide tires.
There is such a wide spectrum of gravel bike styles that any trends just add another mark along the spectrum.

With that said, I do see there is a desire for some things from people on the west coast(specifically SoCal) that I just dont even consider here in the Midwest. Dropper post?...thats so far off the radar for what I want when riding gravel roads not even registering. Slack 68-70degree head tubes?...cant imagine wanting that to ride gravel roads.
But those two things(and more) seem to be desired since the fire roads in SoCal are apparently all 15% grade and technical.
Old 07-09-19, 09:54 AM
Junkbeast

Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
That bike will not sell well in Australia.

I see that the company behind this bike is Polish, so no doubt they don't know what the word "Bogan" means in Australia and I suspect New Zealand too.

It would be like marketing a bike in England under the name "The Chav".
Are Commodores still considered bogan cars down under? Are people still putting Pontiac and Chevy badges on them? I'm in the US and I sold my 6 liter G8 to a friend and he covered it with Holden badges! heh.
Old 07-09-19, 10:04 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
51mm tires.... you are now into the XC MTB realm.
Old 07-09-19, 11:58 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkbeast
Are Commodores still considered bogan cars down under? Are people still putting Pontiac and Chevy badges on them? I'm in the US and I sold my 6 liter G8 to a friend and he covered it with Holden badges! heh.
Commodores are very much the Chariot of Choice for the Australian Bogan.

Having said that, Australia a few years ago ceased manufacturing cars in this country, and with that, the Commodore is no more.
Old 07-09-19, 12:27 PM
Junkbeast

lol chariot of choice.

And yes I'm fully aware of the demise of Australian cars manufacturing; what a waste. "The last of the V8 Interceptors!"

I'd take the Polish Bogan bike and put a Holden lion on it. Nice bike for sure.
Likes For Junkbeast:
Old 07-09-19, 03:27 PM
sweetspot

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Bikerumor has an overview of the 2020 rondo ruut range and new bikes looks very interesting. What i like the most is the bigger tire clearance - now they allow 700x50c tire. I am glad that more and more bike companies are making bikes with that kind of clearance while keeping short chainstays. For a long time i thought that 45c is a limit for a short chainstays. Hopefully this will be a new trend in gravel bikes.

Last edited by sweetspot; 07-09-19 at 03:45 PM.
Old 07-10-19, 07:53 AM
Caliper

Originally Posted by trailangel
51mm tires.... you are now into the XC MTB realm.
But only interested in the best rolling XC tires with short knobs or even a file tread if possible. The gain here is for traction in the situation of loose gravel on an otherwise smooth and hardpacked road, or over the odd sand drifts that happen when drainage crosses the road (culverts? what's a culvert? lol)

No, I have no interest in an XC bike on gravel roads, a proper gravel bike leaves it in the dust. Aside from the tires the rest of the bike should basically be an endurance road bike.
Old 07-10-19, 10:51 AM
medic75

Bikes: '19 Trek Stache 5, '17 DB Hannjo Trail, '09 Scott CR1 Pro, Schwinn Central commuter, '16 DB El Oso

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 29 Posts
But only interested in the best rolling XC tires with short knobs or even a file tread if possible. The gain here is for traction in the situation of loose gravel on an otherwise smooth and hardpacked road, or over the odd sand drifts that happen when drainage crosses the road (culverts? what's a culvert? lol)

No, I have no interest in an XC bike on gravel roads, a proper gravel bike leaves it in the dust. Aside from the tires the rest of the bike should basically be an endurance road bike.
I completely agree, with the exception of gearing (which the industry is still trying to get a grasp on). MTB 1x gearing is no more acceptable than road gearing when it comes to gravel bikes. I think GT has it figured out with a 46/30 crank & an 11-34 cassette. The 46/36 compact CX crank should have never been installed on a gravel bike, but I understand that it was what was available at the time.
Old 07-10-19, 11:25 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
I'm sure we'll see the 46/30 GRX stuff on most of the 2021 bikes that fall into the 105 price point. I see that the new BMC gravel bike announced today has two tiers spec'd with it (one Di2, one mech).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.