Search
Notices
Long Distance Competition/Ultracycling, Randonneuring and Endurance Cycling Do you enjoy centuries, double centuries, brevets, randonnees, and 24-hour time trials? Share ride reports, and exchange training, equipment, and nutrition information specific to long distance cycling. This isn't for tours, this is for endurance events cycling

low gear cogs and campy derailleurs

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-07, 03:22 PM
oneraindog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
low gear cogs and campy derailleurs

here is a hypothetical i would like to see become reality. i would
like to use campy 10 speed ergo shifters to move the chain along a
campy compatible 10 speed cassette that ends in 32(maybe 34).
questios:
1.what is the biggest cog a modern campy 10 speed derailleur will
shift to?
2.if a 10 spd campy derlr wont shift up to a 32(34?) then what would
be a functional alternative that will work with campy ergo shifters?
Old 11-28-07, 03:47 PM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Campy long cage derailleurs are spec'ed for 12T min. to 29T max. cassettes. If you need lower gearing, you can go with a 34-50 compact crank, or even a 30-42-53 triple. That derailleur can handle it.

See here for info on Campy cassette, crank options: https://www.lickbike.com/manfline1.asp?MANF='Campagnolo'
Old 11-29-07, 12:44 AM
scthomson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Campy Drivetrain Capacity

I've been sorting through this as well for the last few months. It is amazing that it is so difficult to find the correct information!

1. Your front derailleurs will be determined by your chainrings - compact double or triple. Campy makes front derailleurs for each of these types. NOTE: you can even go down to a 28T inner as long as your outer is 50T, not 52T

2. Your rear derailleur (short, medium or long cage) will determine your cog range. Since your only interested in larger cogs (lower gearing) just choose either the Race Triple (black) or Comp Triple (silver).

3. Despite Campagnolo's stated max range (29T rear cog) both of these rear derailleurs can handle a 32T cog. There is only 1 company that makes a 10-speed campy compatible rear cassette, and that is Interloc Racing (www.interlocracing.com). They have just released (for 2007) a Wide-Range 12-32 CAMPY SPLINED 10sp rear cassette that costs $169. This is a bit expensive, but less than Record or Chorus cassettes. Remember you need a campy cassette hub for this version, but if your wheels are Shimano-splined, they make a wide range option for this as well, but you'll need the JTEK Shiftmate ($30) to make the Ergo Shifters work with the cassette. Either way works and gives you a much lower touring gear range without having to abandon your Campy Drivetrain.

Hope this helps!
Old 11-29-07, 06:30 AM
Scottyoz
1 Corinthians 9 V 24-27.

Bikes: Dean Titanium, Mercian Audax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is what works for me:

1. campag centaur compact cranks, 34 inner and 45 outer chainring.

2. 14 through to 34 (10 speed). rear derailluer is a short cage, tolerances between the 34 and the very top of the derailluer is tight but it works. medium cage would be better but i feel is not totally needed.

3. Cogs i use are from "cycle dynamics". This company make individual cogs from titanium, i have found these cogs fantastic, ver well made and well priced. They can be purchased directly from the company or from "selle anatomica".

Hope this helps..
Old 11-29-07, 08:09 AM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scottyoz, where did you find campy a compatible 45T chainring?
Old 11-30-07, 11:51 PM
Scottyoz
1 Corinthians 9 V 24-27.

Bikes: Dean Titanium, Mercian Audax

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chainrings are made by TA, they make rings i am lead to believe from the low 20's to the 60's from memory all in one tooth incriments, that is however dependent on your cranks type.

These chainrings can be obtained from Harris cycles. Information they supply is sufficent for one to understand what is needed.

Cheers Scott...
Old 12-01-07, 07:20 PM
knobster

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Comp, Soma ES

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scthomson
1. Your front derailleurs will be determined by your chainrings - compact double or triple. Campy makes front derailleurs for each of these types. NOTE: you can even go down to a 28T inner as long as your outer is 50T, not 52T
Not true. I'm running a 52/42/28 with a Campy Record FD and it works great. My cassette is a 13/29 with a Campy Chorus long cage RD. Haven't found a mountain I can't climb with it yet. At least not in NC.
Old 12-01-07, 10:39 PM
Hocam
Ho-Jahm

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ah, I didn't realize TA made campy specific 110 BCD rings. Thanks for the tip.
Old 12-03-07, 03:29 AM
oneraindog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Scottyoz
Here is what works for me:

3. Cogs i use are from "cycle dynamics". This company make individual cogs from titanium, i have found these cogs fantastic, ver well made and well priced. They can be purchased directly from the company or from "selle anatomica".

Hope this helps..
ive been looking at those as well. im just curious if titanium will wear out faster than steel? im somehwat familiar with the properties of titanium in frames but cogs? im hesitant