Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

How does a Triathlon Work? Questions for new Triathletes answered here

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

How does a Triathlon Work? Questions for new Triathletes answered here

Old 04-17-09, 11:06 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Cannondale Tri
Thanks for the article. Very helpful. Now I just need to fill the tires (and I am not sure even how to do that-it does not look like my Fischer's tires) and take a spin. I'll probably take it to the bike store for help there. I'm hoping to ride tonight as we have 90% chance of rain tomorrow.

Ride on.
I'm guessing you have presta valves on this bike. See St. Sheldon's explanation.

Basically, you have to loosen the little nut before you put the pump head on. After pumping up, tighten the nut.
Old 04-17-09, 04:18 PM
Cannondale Tri

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale R600

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
still alive...

Wow! That was my first time ever on a road bike! I'm proud of myself. It's like nothing I've ever done before. And, I'm still alive to talk about it. Between getting my foot in and out of the bike holster thing, and watching for traffic and riding in a horizontal position...yah, I'd have to say staying alive was pretty good work for day one.

My bike needs a few adjustments, but I can picture it working just fine for me. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 04-19-09, 10:50 AM
Cannondale Tri

Bikes: 1997 Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
getting the hang of it...

The bike is smooth, fast and easy to pedal. It was the best ride I ever took, and it was the worst. I suppose most firsts are sloppy. I'm an Athena and so, at one point either due to my weight or a nut that was not tight since it had just been assembled, my handlebars fell forward about two inches and curled that much more for the rest of my rider. I thought they were falling off! But, to my amazement, they shifted and I did not end up a pile of bones on the ground. I think my stem is too long, it's a reach. And I need my handlebars up a few more inches. Too much pressure on my wrists and hands: carpel tunnel. I also came home with a sore neck looking for traffic in-town. How do you ride looking down and not looking for trucks, cars and pedestrians? I need to take a road out of town to do a long, flat ride with little or no distractions. However, what should I bring on an outing away from home and town, just in case?
Old 05-21-09, 09:54 AM
TTU16

Bikes: Felt F-80

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello,
I am new to this as well and dont plan on doing my first half-triathlon for about a year. I am fairly fit (could be doing a lot better) and only 25 years old. With this in mind, and assuming I just want to finish without being last place in my age group what training tips do you have for people that are just starting? I just got a Felt F-80 (is that okay for triathlons as well?) so I imagine learning to shift well and be comfortable on the seat and get some endurance for a good distance would be the first step, but I am up for any suggestions. I also have never swam long distances. I feel I can swim at a decent speed, but what is the best way to cut time on a long distance swim? What times should I be looking to get lets say per 100 or 200 meters? What times at a half triatlon pace is a normal pace for the bike and run as well?

Basically I am a former athlete that is just looking to get back into a decent aerobic condition and having a goal with a date like a triathlon will keep me motivated. I dont have the time to train to win, nor does that amount of effort seem fun, but I would like to at least shoot for middle of the pack. Thanks for any tips!
Old 06-18-09, 08:44 PM
billonmidwatch
not a climber

Bikes: road bikes '85 Italian steel 2x6, '95 USA titanium 2x9, '00 folder 1x7, '07 Taiwan carbon 2x10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cannondale Tri
The bike is smooth, fast and easy to pedal. It was the best ride I ever took, and it was the worst. I suppose most firsts are sloppy. I'm an Athena and so, at one point either due to my weight or a nut that was not tight since it had just been assembled, my handlebars fell forward about two inches and curled that much more for the rest of my rider. I thought they were falling off! But, to my amazement, they shifted and I did not end up a pile of bones on the ground. I think my stem is too long, it's a reach. And I need my handlebars up a few more inches. Too much pressure on my wrists and hands: carpel tunnel. I also came home with a sore neck looking for traffic in-town. How do you ride looking down and not looking for trucks, cars and pedestrians? I need to take a road out of town to do a long, flat ride with little or no distractions. However, what should I bring on an outing away from home and town, just in case?
Congratulations on discoverying road bike riding! Perhaps you've done it by now, but you definitely need the bike adjusted by an expert at a local bike shop. They will "fit" the bike to you by raising or lowering the seat and handlebars -- this may cost $25 to $75. They might recommend to change the handlebar stem to one which is longer or shorter -- this should only cost $25 to $50.

Once your bike has been fit, you shouldn't have any carpel tunnel. You may still get a sore neck, but less so, and within a few more rides you neck muscles will strengthen and you won't have a sore neck anymore. Same thing if you've ridden far enough to have a sore butt. This will lessen, then cease, as your body gets used to riding.

It sounds like your good used bike might not have been used in a while, before you go it. I recommend you have them go over the whole bike and check that everything which should be tight is tight, and which should be loose is loose, and which should be lubricated is lubricated -- this may cost $25 to $50. If they find a brake cable or shifter cable which is worn out, go ahead and have them replace it, and prevent you from being stranded somewhere away from home.

While you're there, have them show you how to put the chain back on. When a chain comes off, there are two ways the chain may end up, either on the inside of the chainrings, or on the outside of the chainrings. You need to know how to deal with both.

When you're ready to go on longer rides you need to take: a cell phone, a water bottle or sports drink per hour of riding (or plan to stop for a refill), a small snack (easy to digest, high energy foods: banana, fig newtons, raisins, almonds, energy bar -- read the label, and pack 200 to 300 calories per hour of riding). Of course you can ride an hour, with just some water, but take a snack just in case. Check the weather forecast, you might want to carry a rain jacket.

You need to be able to change a flat tire. Carry a spare tube, a tire tool, some way to pump up a tire, and know how to use them. If you paid the guys at the local bike shop to tune your bike, and if they're not extremely busy, then you won't be imposing if you ask them to show you how to change a flat.

A great way to do some longer rides, and have help if you need it, is to find some local group rides. Be careful to match your fitness level with the planned ride, so you won't get left behind 20 miles from home. Ask the guys at the local bike shop.

Good luck!
Old 06-28-09, 09:29 PM
Twigman503
What?

Bikes: CAAD9 7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok here it goes. I'm 17 years old and I have been in relatively good shape all my life. In the past couple years I have become lazier and lazier and I decided that enough was enough. I picked out a sprint triathlon near me that will take place in late September and I have a few questions.

If I was to wear a shirt with sleeves during the bike/run portion, how would this effect the numbers written on my arm?

If I find it comfortable to run in my bike shorts, can I save some money and just use these for the bike/run portion? Or is a good pair of tri shorts a necessity?

On the bike ride, where is your number displayed? Does it go anywhere on your bike?

Where is the best place to rack your bike? Close to the entrance or close to the exit?

How much do you eat and drink during the event? Do you carry a water bottle with you on the run?

Thanks a lot!
Andrew
Old 06-28-09, 09:38 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Twigman503
Ok here it goes. I'm 17 years old and I have been in relatively good shape all my life. In the past couple years I have become lazier and lazier and I decided that enough was enough. I picked out a sprint triathlon near me that will take place in late September and I have a few questions.
Awesome. I did my first tri when I was 19. If I recall correctly, I signed up to impress some chick I was into at the time. I have no idea whatever happened to her.

If I was to wear a shirt with sleeves during the bike/run portion, how would this effect the numbers written on my arm?
Shouldn't matter. They mark it on your legs too.

If I find it comfortable to run in my bike shorts, can I save some money and just use these for the bike/run portion? Or is a good pair of tri shorts a necessity?
Try it first. You may not like it. If you swim in your bike shorts, the chamois will fill up like a disposable diaper. I doubt it will be comfortable on the bike or the run.

On the bike ride, where is your number displayed? Does it go anywhere on your bike?
I've always put it behind the headtube, under the toptube. They'll probably tell you how they want it.

Where is the best place to rack your bike? Close to the entrance or close to the exit?
Depends on the transition area. Personally, I try to avoid running in my bike shoes as much as possible. In any event, try to put it on the end of the rack, toward the center aisle if there is one. I like to hang mine by the nose of the saddle.

How much do you eat and drink during the event? Do you carry a water bottle with you on the run?
Again, it depends. Hard to say how much is enough. But I try to eat and drink mostly on the bike. It's a lot easier there than on the run.

Thanks a lot!
Andrew
Good luck. And have fun!
Old 07-28-09, 01:59 PM
Fred Matthews

Bikes: 2010 58cm Royal Windsor Triathlon bike - it is alright for now but I certainly hope to upgrade in the next few years.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did my first tri last year using a long Speedo swimsuit - worked fine except I really hurt in the important section by the midway point of the bike. This year I bought trishorts and it made a world of difference.

Some races have wooden ground racks instead of the kind where you hang your bike. With these it is best to put your rear wheel in the rack and then place all of your gear to one side or the other. As a general rule you should follow along with those that have already set-up. If they are setting their gear on the left -then go left. If right the go right. This keeps the area uncluttered and allows you to be certain that your gear won't be messed with.

I highly recommend practicing with different drinks. Some people can do Gator/Powerade - I can't. I use Heed and have never had any problems with it. I also use Hammer gels and Sport Legs capsules. The gels are for fuel and the capsules help with the lactate acid build up in your legs. There are plenty of other choices out there and I would recommend testing them out. Many products come in sample sizes. I'd go that route before throwing down a bunch of money on something you don't like.

If you have a few months or even a few weeks until your tri, find a training program to help you along. There are lots of free ones out there on-line for every distance and for different lengths of time - 8, 10, 16, 20 weeks. Having a set routine can be very beneficial for the new triathlete since trying to train in three different events can be rather overwhelming. Also be sure to work on your core muscles. This will help you in all three aspects of the event.

Last but not least is the transition - practice it. Set up a transition area in your driveway and when you get in from your bike ride transition to the run (T2). If your gym will let you, set up a transition area there and work on the swim to bike transition (T1).

When you have done all that - read. Read stuff on here and other sites. Subscibe to magazines. There is lots of good advice out there and plenty of people willing to lend it.
Old 09-07-09, 12:21 PM
retrofit

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 50 Posts
Next weekend my wife will participate in her first tri event at the Pacific Grove Triathlon (sprint distance of 0.25 Mile Swim, 12.4 Mile Bike, 2 Mile Run).

Any recommendatins for meals the day before? Thanks.

stan
Old 11-18-09, 09:32 AM
SourDieseL
been around the block

Bikes: Bianchi C2C Via Nirone - Felt F3SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How important is Body Glide for taking off your wetsuit coming into T1? I've never done a swim with a suit so I'm not exactly sure how I would prep for this. Should I just rent one and take it to a pool to try it out for fit 2 weeks before event? Putting body glide on, stick for the legs/calves area? Unzipping coming out of the water, tuck behind the neck as I'm coming out of the water reach behind neck pull and unzip? I think I want to spend the time taking the suit off right after I get out the water and before I start heading to T1. I know I should prep my transition area with a small tub to wash my feet and do plan to do the bike portion without socks. I'll be training to do so coming into taper month.

My tri is in July so I'm thinking a sleeveless suit, how critical is the body glide in taking off the suit and are there any areas I should apply.
Old 11-18-09, 04:03 PM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Body Glide is not nearly as important for taking it off as it is for preventing rashes on your neck. (put it on your neck or you will be sorry) Don't take it to the pool, you will destroy it, try to take it to some open water around you. Unless there is more than a quarter mile run from the water to transition, like Alcatraz, pull it to your hips and run until you get to T1, then take it all the way off.

Besides that, your small tub does not sound like the best of ideas because usually there is a kiddie pool to splash off your feet, and even if it is not just a towel should be sufficient. If you are planning on running with socks, you might want to put them on in T1.
Old 11-28-09, 11:02 AM
mobike_moexcite
Banned.

Bikes: Fuji Team 09, Schwinn Paramount 91, Fuji Discovery 90's

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This triathlon thing is a bit overwhelming. My uncle told me that I should give one a shot next year because he does them a lot and thinks it's a good idea. I currently race road bikes and I just wanted to know what to expect as far as competition in my level. I am 18 and race cat 5 (i'll be a 4 next year) but I ran the mile and 2 mile in track in high school. That leaves swimming... I plan on getting a few lessons but will I be able to make up for it on the bike? I guess this also relates to pacing, should you go all out in the run or keep a steady pace throughout? Thanks for any help!
Old 12-06-09, 10:08 PM
jetta-the-hut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
does anyone know what the rules are about ipods, i have the newest shuffle which is less than 2 inches big and it tucks into shorts or a suit nicely but does the rules specify if they can be used in the run and on the bike?
I've read some articles where they allow it as long as you have the left ear out for traffic noise and race officials
Old 12-07-09, 12:45 AM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
to answer mobike's question: you are 18 and you should have little problem learning how to swim. Learning how to swim fast on the other hand, you are about 14 years behind. swimmers rarely win, because the swim is short compared to the rest of the race. you should be able to gain several minutes back from a bad swim, but it also depends on the distances and your eventual swimming ability. if you were a pro racing an ironman, and you had a two hour swim, while all of your competetors had sub hour swims, well, kiss your chances of winning goodbye. if it is an amatuer sprint, and you have a swim a few minutes slower than another guy in your age group, well, let's just say i am usually in front after the swim, and have a day of getting passed ahead of me.

To answer the ipod question: Bike-absolutely not, and if you are on the road, please do not train with an ipod. You can't hear things, and this poses a major safety hazard. Run-usually not, there is a USAT rule that states no music players at any time. safety seems to be the major reason, but i have heard that it can also be considered pacing help. on the other hand, i pace better without an ipod anyway. It just feels better to listen to your body than to music. If the race is not USAT sanctioned, you might be allowed to use one, but as i think, it is better to go without it.
Old 12-08-09, 07:10 PM
Fred Matthews

Bikes: 2010 58cm Royal Windsor Triathlon bike - it is alright for now but I certainly hope to upgrade in the next few years.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with sirious in regards to the ipod use...anytime. But, just to round out the answer, check the rules for each event tht you enter. There should be a mention to any type of listening device and whether they are allowed or not. The only thing that I MIGHT do is play the music on my phone but not use the earpieces.
Old 12-16-09, 09:54 PM
jetta-the-hut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
so transition area you dry with a towel,put on socks and the cycling shoes,then change socks and put on your running shoes?

I'm getting Pearl Izumi shorts for christmas so I can wear those thru all 3 events?

Is Body Glide a good idea even when just wearing tri-shorts?

Whats a good idea for a top, a jersey or tri-top? It's a sprint event and its in March so the weather will be mid 50-60's here should I invest in a cycling jacket?
Old 12-16-09, 11:06 PM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am numbering these 1 through 4 for reference

Originally Posted by jetta-the-hut
1 so transition area you dry with a towel,put on socks and the cycling shoes,then change socks and put on your running shoes?

2 I'm getting Pearl Izumi shorts for christmas so I can wear those thru all 3 events?

3 Is Body Glide a good idea even when just wearing tri-shorts?

4 Whats a good idea for a top, a jersey or tri-top? 5 It's a sprint event and its in March so the weather will be mid 50-60's here should I invest in a cycling jacket?
1 Not exactly you probably just want to dry your feet by stepping on a towel, and use socks that work for both bike and run.
I recommend watching these videos for transitions, I think they are the best videos around:
T1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKWHELY0qxw
T2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya6HxuE_x58

2 Yes.

3 That depends if you chafe easily. For me, no. If wetsuits are involved, then yes.

4 For a sprint it does not matter that much, just something you can swim in and not be too weighed down, that you will do the whole thing in.

5 If you get cold easily, I suppose, if you run warm like me, then no.
Old 12-17-09, 09:48 AM
Crack Monkey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Jacket? Probably not. Maybe a long-sleeved jersey, or jersey with wind-proof front panel, or a wind vest. I rarely wear a full jacket on the bike, even in mid-winter training.
Old 01-13-10, 08:39 PM
Ska!

Bikes: '9? SS Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mmkay so heres my story.

i am in good shape. i swim for my college and enjoy cycling. since i swim, when im not in the water for practice, im running (haha) so i feel that i have a good base to work with. i have a few questions about tris. my first one will be in april and i have been waiting for this for a WHILE!

1) i dont like wetsuits (ive swam open water, including <68* lake michigan) so what is a good thing to wear, specifically on the bottom of me. i tend to chafe on my bike so anyway i can work cycling shorts in would be great.

2) transitions. is it logical to put on a cycling jersey in T1 and use that for the rest of the race? and have the jersey stocked with a drink/etc?

3) does one have to use clipless set ups for the bike portion? i have clips and straps, so is just putting on my socks and running shoes for the cycling portion legal (mostly?)

thanks!
Old 01-13-10, 09:16 PM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
1) A pair of tri shorts and a tri top, or a tri-suit. Tri tops and shorts are made to swim in, and the shorts have a pad in them like cycling shorts (though thinner). This is what you will see practically everyone wearing.
2) What distance race are you training for? For a sprint, olympic, or 1/2 I would say no to changing into a jersey (some may debate for the 1/2) Best bet is to wear a tri top. That way you swim, bike, and run in the same clothes. It it easiest to carry a drink on the bike.
3) No, clipless pedals are not required. Platforms with straps or cages are legal.

Congrats on diving in (pun intended) to this incredible sport! (For clarification/disclaimer: I don't sell triathlon equipment or services) We have tried to outline the mechanics of a triathlon, basic equipment, etc. on our site. The link is on my sig line. Finish Well!
Old 01-13-10, 10:37 PM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 A trisuit, or tri shorts and a tight fitting top. By the way, i am a swimmer, and wetsuits are fine with me. kind of like wearing a fast suit... You might want to try fitting one, they should be pretty comfortable, and they save a lot of energy for the rest of the race. On the other hand 68 is pretty warm... (Try swimming in the SF Bay)

2. No. Just no. In T1 or T2 it is not logical to put on ANYTHING besides socks (maybe), shoes, a helmet, and a race belt. I would reccommend a bento box or similar item to hold nutrition and then transfer that to a jersey or mid bike, or leave it on your race belt for T2

3. No there is no rule about that, but it might be a good idea if you have the money. I did my first tri in running shoes and clips. T2 was very fast, but i have to say i prefer clipless.
Old 01-13-10, 11:18 PM
Ska!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i would definitely buy the clipless set up, but im strapped on cash (books are expensive!) so im trying to see how much i can get out of what i already have.

ill be traveling down to spring field for the Abe Lincoln Tri Series (https://www.abestriseries.com/default.asp) if anyones interested. ever since i saw a tri maybe 10 years ago downtown in chicago, ive ben intrigued and now im happy that i have found one that will get me into the circuit! the one im doing for sure is the Pioneer Sprint.

@sirious94: doesnt speedo make a triathlon fastskin? if i can find something that fits like an fsII or fsPRO, id be happy to spare some cash for that.
Old 01-13-10, 11:51 PM
Plainsman

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 30 Posts
I know some folks love power grips and I've seen them in a few races - perhaps a medium between cages and clipless?
https://powergrips.mrpbike.com/index.php?section=index

Pyro Platforms: These won't save much $ (or any depending) once you add cleats, but they sure do intrigue me. If anyone ever uses them I would love to hear about your experience!
https://www.tri-zone.com/Details.html?cat=69&item=PYPLT
Old 01-13-10, 11:57 PM
sirious94

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ska!
@sirious94: doesnt speedo make a triathlon fastskin? if i can find something that fits like an fsII or fsPRO, id be happy to spare some cash for that.
You have NO idea. So ya know how all of the fancy stuff is getting illegalized from FINA, well all the technology kind of jumped into the already equipment obsessed tri world.
Speedo makes a trisuit that is made of FSII material
TYR, Blueseventy, and a few others make fastsuits specifically for the tri world that you take off before the bike.

In my opinion though, a wetsuit should fit as well or better, some people go with sleeveless wetsuits to have their arms more free, but a good fitting wetsuit should feel about the same.
Old 01-14-10, 10:21 AM
Ska!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sirious94
You have NO idea. So ya know how all of the fancy stuff is getting illegalized from FINA, well all the technology kind of jumped into the already equipment obsessed tri world.
Speedo makes a trisuit that is made of FSII material
TYR, Blueseventy, and a few others make fastsuits specifically for the tri world that you take off before the bike.

In my opinion though, a wetsuit should fit as well or better, some people go with sleeveless wetsuits to have their arms more free, but a good fitting wetsuit should feel about the same.
do they have anything like a tri bottom? as in can be worn through the whole race?

and i really dont like what FINA is up to, i just got a new fsPRO legskin over the summer and now its illegal, awesome

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.