Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Trials Bikes -- anybody messed with these?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 08-04-08, 10:18 AM
ryansupak

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know very little about these things and information is elusive compared to most other bike "genres", but I find these intriguing (and I already don't use a seat so the elimination of a seatpost from the frame would be perfect for me.)

Here's a video of somebody doing very cool things on one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYIKfEU8yl8

Anybody know much about these? I've never seen one in real life and they ain't particularly cheap, but they look like they might have potential as an urban street machine, with different gearing.

thanks,
rs
Old 08-04-08, 10:35 AM
dookie

Liked 12 Times in 1 Post
they are more pogo-stick than bicycle. gearing is ~1:1. check youtube for some absolutely mind-blowing video.
Old 08-04-08, 10:49 AM
The LT
spin

Bikes: raleigh m-60, azonic steelhead, schwinn world sport fixed gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.observedtrials.net/

I have ridden one before and it would not make a very good bike to ride for any sort of appreciable distance. they are very different and have the cg in a weird spot that makes it very easy to get up on the back wheel. lots of fun though
Old 08-04-08, 11:52 AM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah, these are for jumping object to object, not riding.
Old 08-04-08, 11:59 AM
jdms mvp

Bikes: nagasawa, fuji track pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lol urban street machine....

there isn't even a saddle holmes
Old 08-04-08, 12:02 PM
andrewro
shiz bichiz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 08-04-08, 12:23 PM
solly81
Sailin' On

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's weird cause I remember when I lived in England like 8 years ago this s'hit was raging. I didn't notice it in North America until recently. Looks "fun" I guess. I dunno.
Old 08-04-08, 03:34 PM
Joetheshmo
P.L.U.R

Bikes: 1985 Shwinn World 10 speed, 1970-ish Centurion Converted to Fixed Gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mmmm cake.
Old 08-04-08, 03:52 PM
wearyourtruth
Ride for Life

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
i have 2, been riding for a couple months now and i love it. www.observedtrials.net is definitely the source for finding more information, but if you think the guys here in bfssfg are immature d-bags, you ain't seen nothin (just fair warning)

the bikes sure aren't cheap, partially because of the small production numbers and partially because they have to make the frame and parts so damn strong (but also light) you can find a decent used one for $400-700 with no problem. decent (not all) new ones are going to be north of a grand usually.

trials in it's purest form is really about getting up and down from the most ridiculous obstacles you can. it's not really like urban street, sure it has some of the same vibes, but trials is a much slower, controlled process. check out this video from a competition we had here in MD earlier this year. in this case you can see the course is intentionally contorted to provide maximum difficulty. there is no room to build up speed to huck up and down from things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDZHlib4kd4

point is if you really want an urban street machine, buy an urban street machine, not a trials bike.
Old 08-04-08, 03:54 PM
sfcrossrider

Bikes: Steelman eurocross, Surly CrossCheck, IRO Rob Roy...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsbJn...D=11745&page=1
Old 08-04-08, 03:58 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride trials, currently a 20" mod bike. If you expect to go more than say, a mile, or plan on going faster than 5 miles an hour, you are looking at the wrong bike.

The geometry isn't ideal for "urban street" riding. Mine is scary as hell when bombing down hills to get to local riding spot. I usually keep it under 10 mph, anything beyond that is nuts.
Old 08-04-08, 04:03 PM
ianjk
:)

Bikes: '07 Pista, '09 Fantom Cross Uno, '8? Miyata, '67 Stingray, '0? Zoo mod trials, Tallbike, Chopper, '73 Schwinn Collegiate, '67 Triumph Chopper, '69 CB350, '58 BSA Spitfire, '73 CB450

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by wearyourtruth
i have 2, been riding for a couple months now and i love it. www.observedtrials.net is definitely the source for finding more information, but if you think the guys here in bfssfg are immature d-bags, you ain't seen nothin (just fair warning)

the bikes sure aren't cheap, partially because of the small production numbers and partially because they have to make the frame and parts so damn strong (but also light) you can find a decent used one for $400-700 with no problem. decent (not all) new ones are going to be north of a grand usually.

trials in it's purest form is really about getting up and down from the most ridiculous obstacles you can. it's not really like urban street, sure it has some of the same vibes, but trials is a much slower, controlled process. check out this video from a competition we had here in MD earlier this year. in this case you can see the course is intentionally contorted to provide maximum difficulty. there is no room to build up speed to huck up and down from things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDZHlib4kd4

point is if you really want an urban street machine, buy an urban street machine, not a trials bike.
nice vid, was sad to see the 5 at the end.
Old 08-04-08, 05:16 PM
Devolution

Bikes: Track bike, road fixed, cross fixed, two single speed mountain.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From 1998-2000 or so I rode trials pretty much exclusively. Fun times, I always think about getting a new school stock bike one of these days. My shoulders would not be thrilled, as I wrecked them back then in many a slow speed topple from tall objects.

Riding them for anything other than observed trials is questionable at best.