Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Special Thread For 50+yo Bicyclists

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 04:23 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
And "Ate Pie" is a Good Pie!!!

Welcome you two, Happy Cranking!!
Old 07-23-12, 06:25 PM
asmac

Bikes: Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rule Britannia! I generally try not to say anything good about Quebec but discovered they really do have excellent bike paths so let me vote for sugar pie. It's like pecan pie without the pecans.
Old 07-26-12, 04:10 AM
mandrew1844

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride?

I ride a Schwinn mountain bike.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?

Just a one-a-day multivitamin, and some BP pills, which I am getting off of.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any?

Some, but nothing drastic.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life?

On and off most of my life. Just getting back in to it for health and commuting to work, which is about 3 miles away now.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides.

I just do commuting and short recreational rides around town.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage?

I try to ride every day, and I go for about a half an hour or so , not by mileage alone.

Perhaps you might indicate your age on your reply??

I will be 60 this year.
Old 08-04-12, 04:23 PM
megman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Was only 50 last year but now I have the +

Last week-end I officially put 15000 Km on the mountain bike. It was originally a $142.75 bike from Walmart. The only thing left original on it is the frame, rear shock and the handle bars. Its been good to me.
Old 08-04-12, 04:35 PM
Burr
Off your Donkey, lets go

Location: The Gardens, Roses & Orchids. Bulacan The Philippines and Red Mountain, Ca. USA

Bikes: Schwinn Mountain, Diamondback Expert Road & REI Randonee Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keep Cranking Guy, you're doing good!
Old 08-05-12, 09:22 PM
tammytee

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age.

I'm 56 and female.

A single speed Chrysler Cruiser.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older?
Just a multi.

Well I can tell I'm not 20 anymore, but I passed a young guy going up a hill on a bike with extra gears.

Was in a bike club in college and only did a little bit after college just for fun, so it's been a long time.

Riding for exercise. See #6.

I'm up to 18 miles a day, 6 days a week. Upping it to 20 and have a goal to do 30 when it cools off. I've gone about 800 miles since March and I'm loving it.

Not really into pie, but if I had to pick a favorite, it would be rhubarb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0309.jpg (97.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 08-06-12, 05:54 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
That is VERY impressive, tammytee. Welcome!!
Old 08-06-12, 02:51 PM
wallyhenry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lemon chiffon
Old 08-15-12, 08:35 PM
Wayne Meuir
Wayne Meuir

Bikes: Lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will be 66 in September.
I ride a 2001 Litespeed Tuscany TI
I take Vitamin D, Glucosamine/Condroiton
I rode bikes as a kid, but never serious riding until August 2010. I weighed 240 lbs when I started. I weigh 190 right now and in better condition than I have been in years. I would really like to drop another 10 lbs, but that is getting really tough now. I am not a strong as I once was, but I think riding is helping prevent any further loss of strength.
I always ride solo and ride 3-4 days each week, usually 25 miles but have gone 50 miles on many occasions. I average about 15-17 mph on rides up to 50 miles. Never tried to go farther than that. Limiting factor is my butt. I can't seem to find a saddle that is completely comfortable.
Because I live in the Dallas area, I can usually ride year round, so I manage about 4-5000 miles per year.

I should have taken up riding a long time ago. Don't know why I didn't!

Wayne
Old 08-16-12, 05:37 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome to 50+ Wayne, lots of Texas based members here. It sounds like you have a good cycling base down. You need to post us a pic of your bike and tell us what kind of PIE you prefer after a ride.

Oh, schedule you colonoscopy.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 08-16-12, 06:04 AM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Old 08-16-12, 06:31 AM
Wayne Meuir
Wayne Meuir

Bikes: Lemond

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, my butt feels like I just had a colonoscopy by the end of every ride. I currently ahve 4 different saddles, and so far none of them a great. Three of them are 130mm width and I did not buy any of them. They all came with my bike. My current one is a new Brooks B-17 and hopefully it will work better. I just don't know if my butt can take another 400 miles of break in time.

The worst piece of pie I ever had was wonderful! I did not get to 240 lbs eating broccoli and spinach. I did however drop my weight to 190 by eating lots of broccoli and spinach and not much pie.

Cheescake is my favorite! (Is cheesecake really a cake or is it a pie, for this exercise, lets call it a pie)

Ride Safe!

Wayne
Old 08-16-12, 06:39 AM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Wayne,
Sorry the saddle is giving you problems, I have used many Brooks saddles, Professional and B-17 mostly, and had no problems with them. This topic gets lots of replies and arguments usually, I like discussing the problem and possible solutions. I do adhere to the school of thought that says, ride more to hurt less, your butt will adjust to the riding positions. You do need to be sure the entire bike is properly fitted to you. Seat height and fore/aft position can lead to problems and solve many pains. Best of Luck with the saddle trials.

Bill

Old 08-16-12, 03:23 PM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
I ride a recumbent. No more butt pain. Over 4k miles for the yr. My best so far.
Old 08-17-12, 12:12 PM
Treker
Zebra

Bikes: '04 Trek 1000, '05 Devinci Millenium; 07 Spec. Allez

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
52 years old
Riding enthusiastically since 2003 when I began commuting about 50kms a day, every day from mid-March to late-October. Now, with w/e rides included I average about 7500 kms/year.
Current bikes include '07 Specialized Allez, a '11 Tarmac and a Raleigh Hybrid.
Feeling stronger and younger every year, especially over the last year as I've picked up free weights twice a week.
No supplements except I drink SISU Hydrade for electrolytes on longer rides. I eat sensibly 90% of the time.

Highly recommend two books: "New Rules of Lifting" (there are editions for men, women and mid-life) and "Younger Next Year" The former explains why building muscle is crucial to our health and the latter explains how, following 7 simple rules, we can literally get younger as we age.
Old 08-17-12, 05:18 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Welcome Treker, we always can use another Canadian rider here at 50+. Sounds like your riding is going well for you. "Younger Next Year" is a pretty popular book here, gets mentions quite often. You should try Joe Friel's, "Cycling Past 50", if you haven't read it yet, a lot of good training and bike set up information there. Be sure to post pics of the bike and some rides here when you can. Oh, have you scheduled your colonoscopy yet? (standard 50+ question for newbies, running joke/reminder) and let us know what kind of PIE you prefer after a ride (Very important in 50+)

Bill

Last edited by qcpmsame; 08-18-12 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Correct the title of book
Old 08-17-12, 10:52 PM
obrentharris 

Bikes: Indeed!

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1507 Post(s)
Liked 3,478 Times in 1,132 Posts
Age? 60

Supplements? No

Bikes? 6-year-old Rock Lobster road bike. New Cannondale road tandem with my wife. 15-year-old Rock Lobster MTB hardtail, Santa Cruz Blur, Rock Lobster team Cyclocross race bike, Bianchi cyclocross pit bike. An oldunicycle of unknown lineage. Just acquired a Belgian tandem that is older than I am.

Slowed down? An unfortunate fact of life. I've been training hard this summer so I'm faster than I was the last few years but I was measurably faster with less effort half a lifetime ago.

Riding how long? First 50 mile ride in 1965. First century in 1969. First road race in 1973. Been riding pretty consistently since I was 13.

What type of riding? Leisurely tandem rides of 30 to 40 miles. Mountain bike rides of 20 to 50 miles. Road rides of 30 to 70 miles. The last few years I've been racing masters cyclocross. Occasional MTB race.

How often? 3 rides a week whenever my work schedule allows it.

Annual mileage? 2,000 to 4,000.

Pie? Tortiere. Home-made apple with a butter crust and just a touch of Calvados.
Brent
Old 08-18-12, 07:44 PM
fctm

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Age- 55
Definitely a newbie to riding though surrounded by friends and brothers who are really experienced and have been telling me to get going on a bike!
Supplements- daily vitamin, a few herbal heart related meds
Bikes- 2010- Specialized Allex Comp, REI off the shelf mountain hard tail mtn bike, and just pulled out of storage my 70's vintage Raleigh Grand Prix I have had since I bought it way back while in college. I am going to start using it to commute to work.
Slowed down? Sure hasn't everyone since their glory days of high school and college? I have been fortunate to be able to run several times a week for 30 plus years, now mixing it up with swimming, and hopefully more biking.
How much do I ride? - Quit riding for years, then last year decided to start riding again....still not doing as much because I have loved the simpicity of just going for a run on the farm trails, but my legs are saying, "cut out the running and start biking more!"
Types of rides- live on a farm with miles of trails so do a good deal of trail biking, probably 2-3 rides a week on the road bike, my last Sunday ride was 27 miles...longest for me since I started in early August, but hoping to change that! I am thinking of riding the 12 miles to where I teach on the Raleigh.... It will be a great way to get back into it. What do you think?
Old 08-18-12, 07:55 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Welcome fctm

Any bicycling, no matter the bike, is great. Your body will tell you what it thinks about the Raleigh. Listen to it and act accordingly.
Old 08-19-12, 06:52 AM
bent4me

Bikes: Recumbents and all HPV'S

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 13 Posts
60 yrs young
2 or 3 wheeled recumbents. I have a folder for rare occasions when travelling.

An occasional Advil thankfully.

I find no need for speed. Life goes by fast enough. I am learning to stop and smell the roses.

Besides childhood, 25 plus yrs since moving to NJ.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides, commute, tour, race?
I do 1-2 week long tours a yr(BikeVA, GOBA, BikeFL), local events, commute, to the store, club rides and
just plain ride by myself.
Every day when possible. I have 4100 miles for the yr so far. I hope to put more miles on my bike than my
car.
7. Do you do any other type of physical activities - weight lifting, skiing, running, etc.?
Just bike.
Old 08-19-12, 11:15 AM
look566 rider

Bikes: Waterford R33, 2019 Infinito, Gunnar Roadie, 1999 Colnago Tecnos, '04 Cannondale Optimo 800 & '51 Rudge Sports, Colnago Tecnos, Tom Kellogg Merlin..

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 41 Posts
Good day All!

52 in September.

A. 2011 Look 566-Sram, daily ride shared with the next bike. B. Mid-80's d'Arienzo-Basso with full Campy. Trade rides with the Look 566. C. Cannodanle 800 Optimo for errands and rides with my wife. Always looking for the next vintage bike!

Heart attack at 49 so a couple of heart meds. Joint supplements, viatmins, C, D, Fish oil-flax seed oil pills. Plus a fairly good diet.

Slowed some, but depends on who I ride with. If I am with my son, he works me hard! Distance is as good or better than years past.

Pretty much all my life. Picked up seriously again 15 years back or so. Sold my Nishiki (Very sorry I did this!) for a Giant Cypress. Sold that for the Cannondale.

All the above plus errands.

Try to get out at least three-four times a week. Distance is equal to time allotted for ride. Usually at least 20 miles. About 4000 miles a year.

My Look 566 was a sorta gift to myself using the some of the money from selling a Hot Rod. Relaxed geometry but still handles like a sports car. My d' Arienzo is a bike I built wanting to have some classic Italian steel with all Campy parts, including the wheels. I use both of these daily, trading between the two.

I was able to get my son (26) involved in riding more over the past 6-7 years. This happend after the first TOSRV ride he volunteered to help support. We have ridden together as much as we can ever since!

Take care,

Mike
Old 08-19-12, 03:03 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Welcome to 50+ Bentforme and Look566 rider, glad you both are here at 50+. Look566, that sounds like quite a stable of bikes, the vintage rides seem tasty to me. Bent, there are several bent guys and gals here, make your self at home.

Bill

Old 08-19-12, 03:32 PM
adamhenry
MUP World Champ

Bikes: '19 Trance 3, '17 Defy Adv 2, DK Legend, Electra Verse 21D

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 24 Posts
I am 54.

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? I have an Electra Verse 21D.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? I stopped drinking beer and soda. I drink vegetable juice, fruit juice and milk instead. I eat raw vegetables for snacks instead of junk.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? I have slowed down quite a bit. I also have some diminished abilities on my left side due to a couple of strokes.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? I really haven't biked since I was a kid except for some brief experimentation with mountain biking several years ago.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. So far I have been taking short rides around town to get used to a bike again. There is a ~10 mile MUP along the river that I am going to start using. I would like to be able to ride do the round trip ASAP.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? I have been trying to ride almost ever day
Old 08-19-12, 10:31 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
This thread was started in August, 2004, by DnvrFox, shortly after founding the 50+ Forum. The purpose was to give 50+ riders (new, returning, experienced) some idea of the range of what other 50+ riders do in their bicycling.

Some folks come to the 50+ forum with the perspective that most 50+ bicycling is 5 mile rides on a comfort bike. Others believe that 50+ bicycling is a $7,000 carbon frame bike with Dura Ace components ridden by someone in a $200 helmet and $500 of lycra/polyester jersey and shorts and $300 shoes with $200 clips.

Both are right. Read on for yourself.

Over the years, many, many posts have been added. It is one of the most viewed thread ever on the 50+ Forum. It was not a "sticky," then it was a "sticky," then it wasn't a "sticky," and, finally, it is a "sticky" again.

Feel free to browse through the many responses, and to add your own if you like. It is possible that no one will acknowledge your post - but don't feel insulted.

This is likely the most comprehensive collection of 50+ bicyclist information ever compiled, anywhere. Enjoy. Some folks have acknowledged reading every single post - whew!!

Below is the original post.

I thought there might be some interest in a thread such as this. If not, it will go the way of all threads - just die away.

So, here is my first contribution.

Some questions:

Please tell us your age. 60

1. What type of bikes do 50+ folks ride? Shown below.

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? Yes, fish oil, multi, everything from vit A to Zinc.

3. How much do you feel you have "slowed down" if any? Difficult to answer. My cycling totals around 7-8000 miles per year. Most of it commuting/utility and the rest is on fg. Rarely do recreational rides unless on my fg.

4. How long have you been biking? New, around a while, biked all your life? On and off all of my life. Have been cycle-commuting for 25 years this year.

5. What type of biking do you do? Long rides, touring, short rec rides. Have done 2 multi-month non-sagged tours of Ireland, N. Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England. Have ridden in Pittsburgh's 'Dirty Dozen' see www.dannychew.com and click on 'DD' in the box on the left side of the home page.

6. How often do you bike? Your approximate annual mileage? Answered above.

If you haven't already, perhaps you might indicate your age. It helps others to see that folks 50+ do great things.

Bikes Direct bike. Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires. Purchased in May of 2008 and have logged 24,000+ in commuting/utility mileage. One re-build including a Lemond saddle, new rear hub, rear der, chain, bb, cables, brake pads and hdbr wrap.

Back-up commuter. Used very sparingly. Maybe, 1500-2000 miles in the last 6 years. 3x6 w/a 34t bailout cog and a new chain. Otherwise, completely stock. Very smooth ride.

Favorite bike. 80s Fuji Del-Rey conversion to fg. Set up for commuting. Use it once or twice per week and on weekend rides. The SKS Raceblades are worthless afa rain/wet conditions go. I'm obtaining a set of the new full coverage ones for the fall/winter months. In living 0.5 miles from the Natchez Trace Parkway I'm able to do 40 mile night rides w/o seeing a car. W/a full moon and a clear sky lights are unnecessary. Visibility is amazing.

The area in which I live is some of the best cycling anywhere. Good asphalt, rolling terrain and 18-25% grades if one is a climber...I'm a climber. I've got ride loops from 20 to 120 miles. All of which have a large portion on the NTP.
Attached Images
moto.jpg (66.9 KB, 27 views)
hybrid.jpg (65.4 KB, 27 views)
fixie.jpg (69.5 KB, 32 views)
Old 09-01-12, 04:49 PM
tedroche

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please tell us your age. 54

I learned on a small Schwinn Frontier MTB picked up for $40 at the local bike swap. Lowered the seat, found a hill and lifted my feet.

Bought a "Hybrid Comfort¨ Giant Cypress to see if I was going to stick with it. Liking it. "Don't go very fast, but I go pretty far..."

Now, I´ve joined the forum to learn enough to figure out what to ride next. Lugged steel vintage bikes have an appeal, but I don't know nearly enough. Don't want to be one of those guys with a dozen bikes until I know which bikes are worth owning, and which suit the kinds of rides I want. The local library has lots of biking books, and the Internet is full of opinion, too. Learning, learning, learning...

2. Do you take any special supplements/vitamins/minerals as you have grown older? The usual multivitamins. Trying to eat to the new food pyramid, but like carbs and chocolate too much.

50 is a pre-existing condition My first half-century I did not take care of myself all that well, last ten years have been a reformation.Within my conditions, I feel I get back into shape (a little slower), heal my wounds (a little slower) and do most anything I want.

I fell over when the training wheels came off and quit biking, '62/63 I guess.

3.5 months since I've taken it up.

Still conditioning and building up. Doing around 10 - 15 miles most days.

Every other day, mixing with other exercise (walking when it's dry, rower or ski machine or core/yoga workout when it's inclement). Nearly every day this summer, as the weather was awesome. I don't know how I'll work out in the other seasons...135 miles in August. No idea how many miles/month seasonally (New Hampshire)

Last edited by tedroche; 09-01-12 at 06:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.