Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tubeless tire leaking air through sidewall

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 09:43 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts

I have some new Vittoria Terreno Dry TNT 700x35c which I set up tubeless with the Panaracer sealant (latex type). One tire is sealed great, the other refuses to completely seal however much sloshing around I have done with the sealant. Putting it under water I see little air bubbles slowly coming from the sidewall area (only). It will do OK for a ride, but is more or less fully deflated overnight. I have been riding/pumping/sloshing for several days now hoping it would eventually seal up but so far not.

I was having trouble finding these tires in stock and they are from different places so probably also different factory batches. It seems like one of them is defective? They are tubeless ready (says so on the tire), both tires and packaging looked identical.

This doesn't seem to be completely unheard of based on some searching around.. one suggestion was to thoroughly clean out the inside of the tire as some compound left from manufacture could be interfering with the sealant. I was going to try that eventually. The Panaracer sealant is supposed to be good stuff, it seems more or less similar to the other latex type sealants.
Old 03-23-21, 10:12 AM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts
Retape it and clean it
Old 03-23-21, 10:23 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 643 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
When you say bubbles coming from the sidewalls, do you mean both sides, all around the tire, or just in one place?

If all over, I'd say the tires were defective, or not actually meant to be tubeless.
Old 03-23-21, 10:29 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
When you say bubbles coming from the sidewalls, do you mean both sides, all around the tire, or just in one place?
They are leaking all over, from every inch of the sidewall.. that plus the "tubeless ready" stamped on the side of the tire is what makes me wonder if they are defective.
Old 03-23-21, 11:00 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Defective. Return. Even if 2 gallons of sealant will make them airtight, I bet they will weep sealant.

A good tire and rim combo and tape should hold at least most of the air for 24 hours without sealant. A bad combo should hold it a few hours without sealant. With sealant it should be a week before you have to adjust pressure a tiny bit (at same temperature)

Last edited by HerrKaLeun; 03-23-21 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-23-21, 12:36 PM
scottfsmith
I like bike

OK. I did one more longer test just to be sure and it is leaking more from one sidewall than the other. I took apart the tire and a lot of sealant was is collecting on those side areas, seems like it was trying to patch it..