Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Lemond Tourmalet

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-23, 03:28 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 134 Posts
Lemond Tourmalet

Asking $50. Does it worth $250 all cleaned up and without major components replacement?

Old 05-07-23, 04:43 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
See Listing:
That bike has had some abuse. It certainly is worth the $50 asking price.

There is a lot of mud and grease around the headtube which should clean up reasonably easily, but it is impossible to tell the condition of the paint without actually seeing the bike and trying to clean it.

The rusty rear brake cable (under top tube) is a bad sign. But that is some of the worst rust that I can see in the photos.

For personal use, I'd probably:
  • Clean
  • Clean and repack anything I can get grease into. Replace any bearing sets that aren't pristine.
  • Replace two tires.
  • Replace all cables. Probably also replace cable housing, unless it looks really good.
  • Replace Chain
  • Replace bar tape

Whether or not anything more expensive would come up really depends. You'll be able to evaluate the shifters when you look at the bike. The cassette would be a tossup, and depends on the condition of the chain and the cassette.

If you're lucky, you'll keep repair parts less than $100... and keep well under your $250 budget.

If you're planning to flip. Then condition may be more important. And, keep an eye on your budget when replacing stuff. Nonetheless, making it 100% ready to ride goes a long way.
Old 05-07-23, 10:09 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Define "major". My basic rule is "if what I can see shows obvious neglect, then what I can't see will be worse." Projects to make a profit depend on your ability to do all the work, your resourcefulness buying consumables, and a bit of luck. If you want a bike shop to do the work, forget it.

People who don't even wash their bike are unlikely to lube the chain, and so on. Cables are rusty/crusty which is another bad sign.

$50, yes its a buy for sure. But that bike is ROUGH.

I've willingly bought really horrible bikes at that price level, much worse than this one, but typically just one or two parts might yield a 3X return.

Bottom bracket on the gem I bought a couple of days ago...... I kept the RD and the crankset; pedals, handlebars, FD, shifters, brake levers and calipers go to the co-op, the rest went into the recycle bin.

The one above is so much nicer!!!

Last edited by wrk101; 05-07-23 at 10:18 PM.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 05-08-23, 04:22 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Orbea Terra, Aostimotor S17 ebike, Huffy RedRock (first bike)

Bike was sold that same day.
Old 05-09-23, 08:16 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
That does not look abused to me, just dirty. $50 was an excellent price. Worth $250 cleaned up, easily. At this time many of the bearings were sealed systems the dirt really shouldn't have effected those. The dirt could wear the drive train some. I don't see rust or corrosion dents or dings. The frame/fork itself is about $70
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 05-09-23, 01:46 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Bike was sold that same day.
For used sales, one has to be able to quickly evaluate a bike.

Especially for the cheap gems in the rough.

1. Is the bike worth half the asking price?
  2. Is the bike worth 2x to 5x the asking price?
  3. "Good Bones"?
  4. Does it fit, if you wish to ride it?
  5. Do you really need/want it?
By the time you post a query on the internet, then wait for a response, the good deals are already long gone.

This bike is a little more modern. Perhaps from around year 2000. But, the evaluation of gems vs junk is especially important in the vintage market from the 1960's, 1970's, and 1980's.

The frame material (531, 853, SL, SLX, Columbus, Vitus, High Tensile Steel, etc) can tell you a lot about the target sales of the bike. And, of course, carbon fiber, or even carbon fiber accessories like the fork, or rear stays.

There are a lot of vintage brand names, but a few like Lemond will stand out.

It wouldn't hurt to just browse this subforum to try to guess bike values and features.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-10-23, 05:49 AM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by CliffordK
For used sales, one has to be able to quickly evaluate a bike.

Especially for the cheap gems in the rough.
Yes, I was hesitating since I wasn't sure if I wanted to get into another big project, while I was negotiating his asking price. Definitely should have taken it as is and save it for rainy days.
Old 05-13-23, 11:00 AM
Warren128

Bikes: 87 Raleigh 531C Team Replica, 96 Litespeed Classic, 01 Lemond Tete-De-Course, 99 Mongoose RX10.9, 03 Lemond Wayzata, 00 Litespeed Appalachian, 99 Bianchi XL Boron, 98 Litespeed Tuscany

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 27 Posts
A Reynolds 853 frame by itself is worth more a lot more than $50. Even if all the parts were not usable, it would have been worth it to me to see how the frame looked under all that dirt. Those Lemond 853 frames are great riding and handling frames. oh well, there will always be another.
Likes For Warren128:
Old 05-13-23, 11:24 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by XxHaimBondxX
Yes, I was hesitating since I wasn't sure if I wanted to get into another big project, while I was negotiating his asking price. Definitely should have taken it as is and save it for rainy days.
If the asking price is $50 which seems like a good deal, then what kind of negotiating the asking price is there?

If I was a seller, and one buyer was trying to dicker about a $50 asking price, and the next buyer was ready to come cash in hand, which one would get the bike?
Old 05-13-23, 05:26 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Originally Posted by CliffordK
If the asking price is $50 which seems like a good deal, then what kind of negotiating the asking price is there?

If I was a seller, and one buyer was trying to dicker about a $50 asking price, and the next buyer was ready to come cash in hand, which one would get the bike?
you win some, you lose some. Sometimes, I negotiate items down to $0, it's a marketplace after all, makes it that much more fun.