Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

50/34 or 52/36 Crankset for racing (mostly flat)

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

50/34 or 52/36 Crankset for racing (mostly flat)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-23, 07:10 AM
lupo68288

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
151W is a fair distance from the kind of power you need to race. What can you put out for a half hour on flat roads at maximum effort? That would give a lot more insight into the kind of gearing you would need for flat road racing.
My FTP is at 211
Old 08-04-23, 07:19 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
you dont need a 52-36 to race with your power. my ftp is 305 and I ride a compact and rarely am ever at the highest gear, and even when I am I'm not spinning out. and this applies to both racing and non-racing riding I do
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-04-23, 07:22 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by hubcyclist
you dont need a 52-36 to race with your power. my ftp is 305 and I ride a compact and rarely am ever at the highest gear, and even when I am I'm not spinning out. and this applies to both racing and non-racing riding I do
This could be the most favorable information in the thread---essentially, OP, just buy your bike and ride it a lot and everything will be fine.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 08-04-23, 08:03 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 501 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 373 Posts
We are missing the point somewhat. It's not all about having bigger gears, it's where the gears lie in your power band. In a straight block, or single tooth changes as found near the chain stay. As you move to smaller cogs, the difference between each shift will be greater. so if you are in a 53/15 (my al time favorite gear) a shift to the left or right will give you a smaller change than if you were on a similar gear with a 50 ring and the corresponding adjacent cogs. This negates or reduces that too big/too small feel when you shift, specially if you are at or near upper effort limit...
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 08-04-23, 09:00 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3953 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by wheelreason
We are missing the point somewhat. It's not all about having bigger gears, it's where the gears lie in your power band. In a straight block, or single tooth changes as found near the chain stay. As you move to smaller cogs, the difference between each shift will be greater. so if you are in a 53/15 (my al time favorite gear) a shift to the left or right will give you a smaller change than if you were on a similar gear with a 50 ring and the corresponding adjacent cogs. This negates or reduces that too big/too small feel when you shift, specially if you are at or near upper effort limit...
True in principle, but the differences are pretty insignificant. For instance, shifting down one gear from the 53/15 causes a 6.7% gear drop, whereas shifting down one gear from the (nearly) equivalent 50/14 causes a 7.1% gear drop.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-04-23, 09:47 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3148 Post(s)
Liked 1,713 Times in 1,034 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
As for gear charts, they are nice to look at, however they do not tell the entire story. On the bike "feel" (quote marks as I don't know how else to explain "feel") plays a role, and an individuals legs have a roll in it. The human body is not a machine, no two are alike, and I believe that makes a difference.
Yes, you are right, and part of the explanation is to do with torque at the pedals.

Torque is the force we apply at the pedals, and is the best measure of what we feel, our perceived pedaling effort. Assuming the same rear cog and same crank arm length, a drivetrain with a lower tooth count (i.e. smaller) front chainring will require less torque to pedal through a rotation. Depending on the particular make-up of any given rider— like ratio of fast twitch muscle fibers to slow twitch, their body mass, pain tolerance, aerobic and anaerobic capacities, etc.— the range and amount of torque they like to work with will be variable.

We can move around the gear range in the cassette to get equivalent or similar ratios with different chainring sizes, but how they feel at the pedal is largely a function of the leverage created by the crankarm length acting on the diameter of the chainring. It’s calculable, measurable, and tangible.

As somewhat of an aside, I used to be more familar with torque values because the old Powertap analysis software, PowerAgent, used to display torque, but since that went away— well, it’s no longer supported/updated— I haven’t looked at it at all, but I know Golden Cheetah will display it, so that’s a good resource for cyclists who are interested in understanding that aspect of their performance and gaining insight into optimal gearing choices.

Last edited by chaadster; 08-04-23 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Sp
Old 08-04-23, 09:59 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
I ride 50/34 and don't ride fast anymore but if I were racing or interested in speed I'd definitely go with 52/36 or the 53/39. The differences may be small but they're there. The 52 or 53 just feel better if wanting to go fast on the flats or the descents. It could be due to the slightly smaller jumps when shifting up and down the cassette, or it could be that marginal drivetrain efficiency improvement when pushing 53/12 vs 50/11, or which cog positions the chain spends the most time in while in the pack. Incidentally, I also feel I was able to pedal smoother on a 53t vs. a 50t. On paper I wouldn't have thought there would be such an appreciable difference but the legs and the Strava do not lie.

If crit racing is the game then I would go with a 1x setup.

And nowadays with 11 or 12 speed and 32t+ cassettes, you can still maintain those close gaps in the taller gears. I'm still riding 10 speed and hate having to choose between keeping my 16t or having a lower climbing gear.
Likes For tFUnK:
Old 08-04-23, 11:12 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
One thing I keep reading on threads about gearing is that you won't spin out a 50x11, or you'll never use a 52 or 53 x 11, because nobody who doesn't race professionally could push that gear on the flat, etc. But, you know, sometimes you want to go fast without your legs whirling like an eggbeater. I'm not really a huge fan of spinning at 120 rpm, though I can do it if I need to.

For example, there's a half-mile, straight, 3.5% descent on my Sunday ride, where I can generally get up to about 35-38 mph with a little effort. (Then the momentum carries me part way up the next rise, which is more like 6%). I end up in my highest gear at a low cadence, gently adding force to the acceleration of gravity, precisely because I can turn the pedals over slowly. It's after an almost mirror image climb, which I tend to push hard on because of the descent waiting at the top.

Anyway, "spinout" speed is only one factor.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-04-23, 11:13 AM
jonathanf2

Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 442 Posts
Originally Posted by tFUnK
If crit racing is the game then I would go with a 1x setup.

And nowadays with 11 or 12 speed and 32t+ cassettes, you can still maintain those close gaps in the taller gears. I'm still riding 10 speed and hate having to choose between keeping my 16t or having a lower climbing gear.
The nice thing if going 1x, is that you can really fine tune your cogs as well especially on an 11-12 speed cassette and/or even adjust chain line with spacers or an offset aero chainring to create an optimal sweet spot. If I was building an exclusive flat course race bike, I would keep it very minimalist.
Old 08-04-23, 01:41 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Yes, you are right, and part of the explanation is to do with torque at the pedals.

Torque is the force we apply at the pedals, and is the best measure of what we feel, our perceived pedaling effort. Assuming the same rear cog and same crank arm length, a drivetrain with a lower tooth count (i.e. smaller) front chainring will require less torque to pedal through a rotation. Depending on the particular make-up of any given rider— like ratio of fast twitch muscle fibers to slow twitch, their body mass, pain tolerance, aerobic and anaerobic capacities, etc.— the range and amount of torque they like to work with will be variable.

We can move around the gear range in the cassette to get equivalent or similar ratios with different chainring sizes, but how they feel at the pedal is largely a function of the leverage created by the crankarm length acting on the diameter of the chainring. It’s calculable, measurable, and tangible.
I don't know about torque at the crank and how hard a rider has to push on the pedals as a function of chainring size alone. To me, a given gear ratio (in gear inches or whatever units you prefer) is the important thing. I think you're trying to say that some riders can better achieve a given level of power at higher cadence and low torque, vs. other riders who produce the same power at low cadence and high torque. This is true. Claiming there's a difference between two sets of gears, different sizes but with the same overall ratio? I'm not buying it. Some components of the bike might notice a difference. The drivetrain's efficiency will be a little less or little more--hardly enough for any rider to notice. To the legs, 75 gear inches is 75 gear inches (with a given wheel size and crank arm length).
Old 08-04-23, 01:56 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Originally Posted by rosefarts
53/39 x 11-32 is a friggin dream compared to what was available even in the mid 2000’s. I wouldn’t consider going any lower if you’ve actually got the legs to race.
That's exactly what I have on my road bike currently. I had a 52/36 for about three years, but now 53/39, because of reasons that belong in another thread.

I am not very strong. And yes, I go up some fairly steep climbs sometimes. I mostly ride just for fun and fitness, but I enter the occasional race, various formats. You really can't go wrong with that cassette range and either a road standard or mid-compact crank.
Old 08-04-23, 02:27 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Broctoon
I don't know about torque at the crank and how hard a rider has to push on the pedals as a function of chainring size alone. To me, a given gear ratio (in gear inches or whatever units you prefer) is the important thing. I think you're trying to say that some riders can better achieve a given level of power at higher cadence and low torque, vs. other riders who produce the same power at low cadence and high torque. This is true. Claiming there's a difference between two sets of gears, different sizes but with the same overall ratio? I'm not buying it. Some components of the bike might notice a difference. The drivetrain's efficiency will be a little less or little more--hardly enough for any rider to notice. To the legs, 75 gear inches is 75 gear inches (with a given wheel size and crank arm length).
You misunderstood, as I explicitly said I was assuming same cog, same crank arm length, but different chainring tooth count, so that cannot be the same gear inches.
Old 08-04-23, 02:57 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
You misunderstood, as I explicitly said I was assuming same cog, same crank arm length, but different chainring tooth count, so that cannot be the same gear inches.
Like @Broctoon said, it doesn't matter how you achieve an overall gear ratio. Obviously a larger chainring makes all the gears on the cassette taller. In this case there is so much overlap between a 52/36 and 50/34 that it only makes a difference for the lowest and highest gears. If there are steep climbs involved I would prefer the 50/34, otherwise I wouldn't care either way.
Old 08-04-23, 03:12 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by PeteHski
Like @Broctoon said, it doesn't matter how you achieve an overall gear ratio. Obviously a larger chainring makes all the gears on the cassette taller. In this case there is so much overlap between a 52/36 and 50/34 that it only makes a difference for the lowest and highest gears. If there are steep climbs involved I would prefer the 50/34, otherwise I wouldn't care either way.
Again, I was explicitly stated the terms were about different gear ratios, which is exactly what one gets if they change only chainrings. I was directly addressing TiHabanero ’s observation that bigger and smaller chainrings do, in fact, feel different because of how leverage affects torque application. Simple physics, I think, and not at all mysterious, just oft overlooked. But, we can introduce changes to crankarm length to the discussion if you guys want to talk about gear inches and feel…
Old 08-04-23, 03:17 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Of course it requires less torque to pedal through the rotation. It's a smaller gear.
Old 08-04-23, 03:20 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2484 Post(s)
Liked 2,955 Times in 1,678 Posts
A highly successful track and road sprinter I knew decades ago once told me that he was delighted when the other guys started switching to 53-tooth big rings for road and crit races. "I've used a 50-tooth ring for years," he said. "This'll just make it that much easier for me to get the jump on them at the end of the race."
Old 08-04-23, 03:48 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Eric F
Of course it requires less torque to pedal through the rotation. It's a smaller gear.
To people like us, sure, but this discussion is proof it ain’t so for everyone:
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
The difference between a 50/34 and a 52/36 is so small you probably wouldn't notice the difference.
Anyway, to restate the context again, I was addressing the comment about being aware, but unable to explain fully, why rings feel differently to the legs.
Old 08-04-23, 04:14 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
A highly successful track and road sprinter I knew decades ago once told me that he was delighted when the other guys started switching to 53-tooth big rings for road and crit races. "I've used a 50-tooth ring for years," he said. "This'll just make it that much easier for me to get the jump on them at the end of the race."
I would bet it worked for him because it fit his style - high rpm and (probably) an explosive late jump. I could never complete with those guys if I waited to play their game. For me, a fast leadout, and crushing a 53x11 while everyone else was still waiting to jump was much more successful. Being the first one to go made everyone else have to react and play the game my way, where I was using my best weapon. Once I figured that formula out, wins started coming. My way worked for me, with the way my muscles are most effective, and the way I trained my strengths. For others, a smaller gear may be a better choice.
Old 08-04-23, 04:49 PM
tomato coupe

Anyway, to restate the context again, I was addressing the comment about being aware, but unable to explain fully, why rings feel differently to the legs.
My comment preceded anything you wrote, so the context of your statements has no bearing on mine.
Old 08-04-23, 05:13 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
My comment preceded anything you wrote, so the context of your statements has no bearing on mine.
Correct, I used your comment in regard to a different point. I can see the way I wrote the post made that unclear. Sorry.
Old 08-04-23, 06:53 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,479 Times in 1,836 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
My way worked for me, with the way my muscles are most effective, and the way I trained my strengths. For others, a smaller gear may be a better choice.
Just leaving this here for when everyone else is finally tired over picking nits and such ......

Of course, the same was in Post #3 and mentioned elsewhere in the thread .... but we aren't here to spread knowledge or share wisdom ... it's the internet, dang it, and if it ain't porn it's an argument!

Of course this might all be some sort of abstruse porn and I am simply not refined enough to be excited by it ....
Old 08-04-23, 07:32 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Sorry. I missed that part. And yeah, obviously there’s a different feel when your gear ratio changes because of a change in chain ring size.

This is the part that made me scratch my head:

We can move around the gear range in the cassette to get equivalent or similar ratios with different chainring sizes, but how they feel at the pedal is largely a function of the leverage created by the crankarm length acting on the diameter of the chainring. It’s calculable, measurable, and tangible.”

Um, no. It’s not a function of the chainring diameter. It’s a function of the ratio of chainring teeth to cog teeth. Any explanation more complicated than that is a waste of words.
Likes For Broctoon:
Old 08-04-23, 08:44 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

We can move around the gear range in the cassette to get equivalent or similar ratios with different chainring sizes, but how they feel at the pedal is largely a function of the leverage created by the crankarm length acting on the diameter of the chainring. It’s calculable, measurable, and tangible.”

Um, no. It’s not a function of the chainring diameter. It’s a function of the ratio of chainring teeth to cog teeth. Any explanation more complicated than that is a waste of words.
Well, it’s a matter of simple physics, that’s all there is to that. Look it up; leverage is really a very basic concept.. I mean, you could go and spin the crankset of your bike with your finger both in the spider as close to the spindle as you can get, and then again out at the end of the crankarm; you should easily be able to feel the difference in force required to turn it at each location. It’s the same thing that happens at the pedals, just that the forces are larger, acting over a force range (i.e. torque) of something like 10nm to 190nm.

The ratio of chainring teet to cog teeth does not at all describe the amount of force required to turn the geartrain.
Old 08-04-23, 09:49 PM
tomato coupe

Sorry. I missed that part. And yeah, obviously there’s a different feel when your gear ratio changes because of a change in chain ring size.

Yep. Chain ring size doesn't change the torque at the pedals if the gear ratio is the same, as long as the crank arms are the same length. (Assuming everything else remains the same, of course.)
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-04-23, 10:56 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 227 Posts
52/34 would be a very wide range of gearing. Would a 11-34 cassette work with this kind of set up?
As to the OP's original question, I think 52/36 would be better for racing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.