Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Training Status??? (IV)

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Training Status??? (IV)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-23, 12:47 AM
declan99

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I can actually remember back to when I was one of them.
Old 07-25-23, 12:51 AM
declan99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
LBS ride... ~45miles 125TSS .. have not been on the road much in the past 2 weeks because of work and life.. I was cooked.
Likes For declan99:
Old 07-28-23, 09:21 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
practice crit last night, steep hill on the course so no rest for the wicked. I attacked hard at like 10 minutes in and got 10 seconds, was soon joined by two. we lasted a few laps but got caught. my HR never really recovered. If it was like 5 beats lower at the bottom and top of the hill each lap, it would have been a different race for me. Maybe that afternoon coffee wasn't a good idea, given the heat. Or maybe I just wasn't on a great day. I'm on a rest week anyway, prob should have skipped that race. But it was the last one and I wanted to support it.

It was hot last night too and my wife didn't want to use the AC so I slept like crap. Not mad, just sayin'. Off tomorrow, team ride of ~50 miles Sunday, conversational pace.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 07-28-23, 12:04 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
3rd HIIT session this week - max power lower cadence hill climb intervals this AM on Soledad. My legs were completely recovered from yesterdays TT interval session on Fiesta.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-31-23, 09:33 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

TMonk This thread is worn out. I think we are all off the back and tired of posting the same material. And I am not going to lead out hoping I will get someone to join me in a break. If you want to follow me, I am on Strava with a private account with followers. Anyone can send me a PM and I will review and approve, if applicable.

Personally, I like this format and discussion. I would like to see it continue.

Last edited by Hermes; 07-31-23 at 10:37 PM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-01-23, 09:12 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Not the best month, or year for me. During Worlds 3 weeks ago, I was last wheel going into a corner, gapped a bit going into a corner. I hit it at 35+ and there was a car coming in, it was either get hit or go off the road, so I went off the road and over the bars. All things considered not too bad. Ribs and lung sore, I think my pinky was out of place but I popped it back in. I couldn't cough for 2 weeks and finally got out there.

I just got into form after COVID issues so it looks like I may not race at all this year.

Also on Saturday, 2 of our riders were hit by an unlicensed driver and 1 didn't make it.
Old 08-02-23, 05:02 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Oh no. That's awful. Sorry to hear that.

Likes For himespau:
Old 08-02-23, 07:10 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

omg sorry to hear that furiousferret ! crazy
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-02-23, 09:57 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

furiousferret That is shocking. Heal up fast and so sorry to hear about your friend.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-03-23, 07:30 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
I've been playing around with doing indoor training in the indieVelo platform as an alternative to Zwift/RGT/Rouvey/whatever. Had been lazy the last few days, so, when I woke up this morning a bit early and everyone else was still asleep, I thought I'd hop on and see what was available. "Ooh, a kilo iTT on the forest velodrome in 20 minutes. That sounds fun." Once again reminded myself that one does not just do a kilo with 10 minutes warmup and no preparation. Not exactly sure how something can be so exhilarating and so deeply unpleasant at the same time. I definitely wasn't ready for that.

Likes For himespau:
Old 08-03-23, 11:23 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

ugh man those efforts are so hard... hits ya like a ton of bricks 20-30s in.

This weekend I head with wife and friends to Big Bear for el Tour de Big Bear grand fondo ride, last "event" of the season. 100 miles and 10k gain at elevation, or something like that. Two big climbs on the second half of the course. There are actual pros who do this ride (Phil Gaimon etc) so my goal is to simply see my name as high as possible on the finishers sheet.

Rough plan is to fight to stay in the front group over the early minor climbs, then go internal and push up from SST (as I'm able) once I hit the first big climb. I hear going in the red can be hard to recover from at elevation, so I'll have to watch my HR carefully over those early climbs.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-03-23, 01:09 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
I keep my USA Cycling license but rarely race anymore, last Fall I decided on several goals including breaking an hour for 40km (ok, not so great but I;m 65 and do not have a purpose made TT bike). Then I got Covid that morphed into long Covid and for 6 months really could only do easy rides at HR of 105 BPM or else I would hack up chunks of latex-like sputum. TT season ruined and fitness (CTL, FTP, etc.) dropped off a lot.

Luckily, it seemed to pass by early June, so, I started with two Block periodization (based on reading Ronnestad's study) interval cycles, where I am finishing the last cycle. One of my favorite fitness tests is average power up the same 5 minute hill. I beat my PB on that hill the other day, a time and power last done 7-8 years ago. Actually smashed my PB by 20 seconds. Unfortunately, I missed the TT season here but am doing Paris Brest Paris in a few weeks. My power is good but endurance is a bit shady. I am not sure if the 4 interval sessions in the first week of a cycle contributed to the uncharacteristic amount of power in peaking or it could be that I was also playing a good amount of ice hockey, too. I know that sometimes I have really felt on the edge of overdoing it. I am going to start my taper 9 days before my A event.
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 08-06-23, 10:57 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

It looks like an attempted break so I will bridge up and take a pull.

Tuesday - track 6 kilos
Thursday - track 6 kilos same workout as Tuesday
Saturday - 30/1min off intervals on smart trainer. - ugh
Sunday - Endurance ride with 4 high power climbing intervals

TMonk 15.7mph going up Torrey Pines mid section of climb for one of the climbing intervals. This is sort of funny, I start the climb at low z2 waiting for the grade to increase. A couple of guys pass me including one "oldish" rider. When I came to my mark, I hit the gas. I went flying past those guys and when the time was up, went back to z1/2. The oldish guy catches up and says "impressive". What we hear on the road.

Great legs and recovery all week.

Flicks elbow for next racer to pull through.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-07-23, 07:33 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I did 16hrs this week and finally crossed the 100ctl threshold lol of course now it's rest week so it's already dropping but it was somewhat satisfying to get to that (and i'm not that trashed, which is good). rather than my usual interval workouts, I did a couple of zwift races this week to try and do long threshold efforts that way. Kind of a mixed bag, Tuesday the race was 40mins and I got 290 for the time period, so pretty good. Thursday was 50mins and I did 280 for that period, which is fine but more sweetspot than threshold

on Friday, just for fun, I did an A/B test of rule28 aero socks vs regular socks on a 13 mile loop. did same power (1w diff) and the regular socks were a little faster lol I think there was a little more wind on my aero sock loop, so obvs there's more to it, but really not a drastic difference. Ideally we'd do multiple trials with each, and if I'm riding seriously the rule28 socks will be worn lol
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-07-23, 07:36 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
It looks like an attempted break so I will bridge up and take a pull.

Tuesday - track 6 kilos
Thursday - track 6 kilos same workout as Tuesday
Saturday - 30/1min off intervals on smart trainer. - ugh
Sunday - Endurance ride with 4 high power climbing intervals
How do you do 6 kilos?

One kilo is generally enough to wipe me out.
Old 08-07-23, 08:40 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Originally Posted by topflightpro
How do you do 6 kilos?

One kilo is generally enough to wipe me out.
It is all about goal, structure and context. Masters 50+ races the 500 m time trial versus the 1000 m (kilo) time trial. I have raced both. A max effort kilo from a standing start pretty much destroys most racers including me. I was not racing or practicing to race the kilo race. My goal is the 2k pursuit and the workout I summarized in shorthand is structured to support my goal time for the 2k pursuit in September.

The complete workout went like this. Warmup, seated and standing 100 meter jumps. Then 2x3 lap (kilo) flying accelerations 3-5' RBI. That completes the warmup. Change to race gears.

3 sets of 2 x flying kilos 3' RBI and 10 to12 minutes rest between sets. For the kilo, the first 500 meters at goal pursuit pace and the last 500 sprinting.

How did that turn out?? I hit the pursuit speed for the first 500 but I would not call my last 500 meters a sprint. I was able to lift the pace a couple of rpm and my best kilo was the last one. I did feel the 800 pound gorilla jump on my back for the last 250 in the final set. This is a very hard workout. I have great form right now so it was hard but doable.

The correct way to look at the structure is 3 x 2k pursuits with the pursuits at or above goal race pace with a 3 minute rest period between the first and second kilo

Flicks elbow again. Looks around to see who is going to pull through.

Last edited by Hermes; 08-07-23 at 08:45 AM.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 08-07-23, 09:06 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I did 16hrs this week and finally crossed the 100ctl threshold lol of course now it's rest week so it's already dropping but it was somewhat satisfying to get to that (and i'm not that trashed, which is good). rather than my usual interval workouts, I did a couple of zwift races this week to try and do long threshold efforts that way. Kind of a mixed bag, Tuesday the race was 40mins and I got 290 for the time period, so pretty good. Thursday was 50mins and I did 280 for that period, which is fine but more sweetspot than threshold

on Friday, just for fun, I did an A/B test of rule28 aero socks vs regular socks on a 13 mile loop. did same power (1w diff) and the regular socks were a little faster lol I think there was a little more wind on my aero sock loop, so obvs there's more to it, but really not a drastic difference. Ideally we'd do multiple trials with each, and if I'm riding seriously the rule28 socks will be worn lol
Are you just trying to hold power, or something more systematic like Chung method?
Old 08-07-23, 09:49 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Tour de Big Bear regional century ride last weekend, 100 miles, 8,200' elevation gain, average elevation around 7,000'. I got 23/582, not the top 20 I wanted, but still good. I was in the lead group of 25 or so (incl. Phil Gaimon) going up Onyx summit for the second and final time, and cracked like a ton of bricks in the heat. Had to stop at the aid station. But, I recouped myself on the descent, fought off cramps for about 10 minutes and then rolled in strong with a group of 4 or so. Good times.

EDIT: finish time 4:50. Top 3 were around 4:35

Last edited by TMonk; 08-07-23 at 10:20 AM.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-07-23, 10:13 AM
hubcyclist

Originally Posted by TMonk
Are you just trying to hold power, or something more systematic like Chung method?
I just did fairly steady power, around 210w, and the speed diff was .1mph or 16sec. So more or less equal accounting for wind, I'd guess
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-07-23, 10:22 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
I just did fairly steady power, around 210w, and the speed diff was .1mph or 16sec. So more or less equal accounting for wind, I'd guess
Did you need to use brakes at all on your course? Was it a fairly controlled/closed loop?

Chung method works pretty good and the data analysis/curve fitting is pretty fun in the free version of Golden Cheetah. I will be doing some helmet testing tomorrow morning using Chung method and my full TT setup.
Likes For TMonk:
Old 08-07-23, 12:02 PM
hubcyclist

i'm pretty sure I used my brakes a couple of times but it's pretty easy to do this course uninterrupted. I tried the chung/golden cheetah thing a while back in my neighborhood but I don't think I did the best job at it, I'll have to try it again

https://www.strava.com/segments/15562609

edit: looking at the chung stuff, seems like there are a bunch of rules i didn't adhere to, I'm seeing stuff like 5min max and can't get passed by cars so I won't bother with my Friday ride and if I try it I'll find a proper place

Last edited by hubcyclist; 08-07-23 at 12:08 PM.
Likes For hubcyclist:
Old 08-09-23, 11:15 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 160 Posts
Of course I pick up a small metal wire and get a flat within the first 30 miles of installing $250 worth of tires and Silca latex tubes. LOL
Likes For procrit:
Old 08-09-23, 11:22 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

damn that sucks. I'm thinking about switching over to TPU tubes. The rolling resistance is supposed to be within a watt or two (tops) of latex, and otherwise it seems more advantageous in every way except cost. have you tried TPU procrit? I do latex on my fast wheelsets, but the difficulty in installation pisses me off, and I have a couple setups that are quite challenging. I also like that TPU is lighter, which will benefit my TCR. Don't care as much about weight on the Venge.
Old 08-09-23, 12:41 PM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
damn that sucks. I'm thinking about switching over to TPU tubes. The rolling resistance is supposed to be within a watt or two (tops) of latex, and otherwise it seems more advantageous in every way except cost. have you tried TPU procrit? I do latex on my fast wheelsets, but the difficulty in installation pisses me off, and I have a couple setups that are quite challenging. I also like that TPU is lighter, which will benefit my TCR. Don't care as much about weight on the Venge.
I have not tried TPU, in fact this is my first time with latex. I couldn't believe how much nicer latex feels in corners compared to butyl. I think my next stop is going to be switching to tubeless...
Old 08-09-23, 01:30 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

good luck w that. the only 2 rim/tire combos ive tried on tubeless road have been huge PITAs. the ROI and benefit of tubeless scales with tire volume. on MTB - it's a no brainer. I've also been able to seat every combo ive tried with a floor pump and its been super easy. road, not so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.