Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum
Reload this Page >

I want to get into indoor riding

Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

I want to get into indoor riding

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-23, 08:59 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4414 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I don't fully agree. Riding solo, there's no difference between an incline and flat on a dumb trainer. But if you are riding with a group, you can "feel" the topography on a dumb trainer simply from the power required to keep pace with the group. As the road turns up, they put down the power and you get dropped unless you do too.
Using the Zwift climb portal on a dumb trainer is pretty meaningless. The whole point of interest of that feature is to simulate real world climb profiles. Riding a climb with variable resistance to simulate a dynamic slope profile is very different to simply riding a dumb trainer at different power levels. The best you could do with a dumb trainer to simulate the climb is manually change the trainer resistance to mimic the slope profile, but that would be pretty tedious. A Smart trainer does this automatically, hence why it is "Smart".

I rode the Col de la Madone climb on the Zwift climb portal the other day. It's quite different from riding say Alpe du Zwift as the slope profiles are very different. But my average power on both was about the same. A good Smart trainer simply brings these climbs to life and differentiates them according to their slope profiles.
Old 10-29-23, 10:58 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Using the Zwift climb portal on a dumb trainer is pretty meaningless. The whole point of interest of that feature is to simulate real world climb profiles. Riding a climb with variable resistance to simulate a dynamic slope profile is very different to simply riding a dumb trainer at different power levels. The best you could do with a dumb trainer to simulate the climb is manually change the trainer resistance to mimic the slope profile, but that would be pretty tedious. A Smart trainer does this automatically, hence why it is "Smart".

I rode the Col de la Madone climb on the Zwift climb portal the other day. It's quite different from riding say Alpe du Zwift as the slope profiles are very different. But my average power on both was about the same. A good Smart trainer simply brings these climbs to life and differentiates them according to their slope profiles.
"meaningless" is subjective. What has no meaning to you might not be experienced similarly by everybody else.
Old 10-29-23, 11:01 AM
RChung
Perceptual Dullard

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 1,156 Times in 494 Posts
Originally Posted by rosefarts
For the record, I don't think Powercranks will make me a faster rider.
Good for you.

On the one hand, we do lots of worthwhile things in life that don't make us faster riders. On the other, most of the time most of those things aren't being sold on the promise that they will.
Old 10-29-23, 07:01 PM
PeteHski

"meaningless" is subjective. What has no meaning to you might not be experienced similarly by everybody else.
Well if you ride a climb on the Zwift Climb Portal and your trainer resistance remains the same regardless of the slope, then you are not experiencing any physical simulation of the climb profile. So the climb itself is pretty meaningless. It’s not as if the Climb Portal even provides scenery to look at. It is literally a colour-coded ramp based on slope gradient.
Old 10-29-23, 07:09 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,865 Posts
Well if you ride a climb on the Zwift Climb Portal and your trainer resistance remains the same regardless of the slope, then you are not experiencing any physical simulation of the climb profile. So the climb itself is pretty meaningless. It’s not as if the Climb Portal even provides scenery to look at. It is literally a colour-coded ramp based on slope gradient.
You are repeating yourself. Please go back and read my original post on the topic, You are a sensible person, and the particular situation I outlined (keeping up with a group that is doing a climb) is the relevant scenario,

Again, what is meaningless to you may not be to me. Flat declarations of this sort are beneath somebody of your intelligence.
Old 10-29-23, 07:55 PM
PeteHski

You are repeating yourself. Please go back and read my original post on the topic, You are a sensible person, and the particular situation I outlined (keeping up with a group that is doing a climb) is the relevant scenario,

Again, what is meaningless to you may not be to me. Flat declarations of this sort are beneath somebody of your intelligence.
In post #11 I was specifically referring to the Zwift Climb Portal feature, not group riding. I thought it was pretty obvious that this feature would only be of any relevance when using a Smart trainer. But clearly I was wrong!
Old 10-30-23, 06:12 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Having a dumb trainer does render any climb gradients irrelevant (perhaps a better term rather than meaningless) but I'm a fan of doing Alpe during intervals at a relatively fixed power. I actually did an Alpe race yesterday and didn't reduce the trainer difficulty like I tend to do and found myself kind of annoyed on the lower gradient sections because I had to do a lot of shifting (and I was trying to maintain a higher avg)

as for group rides, yeah you can definitely use a dumb trainer, it just takes anticipation on the user's part to know when to push higher power
Old 10-30-23, 06:31 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by hubcyclist
Having a dumb trainer does render any climb gradients irrelevant (perhaps a better term rather than meaningless) but I'm a fan of doing Alpe during intervals at a relatively fixed power. I actually did an Alpe race yesterday and didn't reduce the trainer difficulty like I tend to do and found myself kind of annoyed on the lower gradient sections because I had to do a lot of shifting (and I was trying to maintain a higher avg)

as for group rides, yeah you can definitely use a dumb trainer, it just takes anticipation on the user's part to know when to push higher power
Alpe du Zwift has lots of changes of gradient, ranging from pretty steep ramps to almost flat, which is what makes it interesting and challenging with a good Smart trainer set at 100% difficulty. On a dumb trainer it’s just the same as a flat road. Your avatar obviously moves up the mountain in accordance to your power and the slope gradient, but it still physically feels exactly like a flat road. That’s all I meant by saying that hill climbs on the Zwift Climb Portal are meaningless with a dumb trainer.

I actually really enjoy the Climb Portal. It’s the variety of iconic climbs and their unique slope profiles that is the sole point of this feature.

Of course you can race people up the Alpe on a dumb trainer, but it is not physically simulating the climb at all. I’m pretty sure I could beat my Alpe PR by reducing trainer difficulty to zero and just TT at my optimum cadence. It’s much harder when the slope resistance is constantly changing and your cadence is bogged down on the steepest ramps. Having ridden the Alpe IRL it certainly doesn’t feel anything like a flat road!
Old 10-31-23, 05:38 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts

My Zwift trainer is in shipping and will be at my house this week...

I get a year of Zwift for free - wasn't sure if I wanted to do Zwift or Rouvy, but since one is free, I will try both.

Do I have to build up to the climb portal, unlock it with achievements, or is it just there at the ready?
Old 10-31-23, 03:59 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Jughed
My Zwift trainer is in shipping and will be at my house this week...

I get a year of Zwift for free - wasn't sure if I wanted to do Zwift or Rouvy, but since one is free, I will try both.

Do I have to build up to the climb portal, unlock it with achievements, or is it just there at the ready?
I think it is just there. But not sure as I'm on a high tier level in Zwift. Zwift Insider website will probably have the answer. The climbs available on the portal are rotated a bit like the Zwift worlds. You can access them directly from the start menu or from riding into a portal you might come across on one of the road courses.
Old 10-31-23, 04:42 PM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
I think it is just there. But not sure as I'm on a high tier level in Zwift. Zwift Insider website will probably have the answer. The climbs available on the portal are rotated a bit like the Zwift worlds. You can access them directly from the start menu or from riding into a portal you might come across on one of the road courses.
Thanks. I did some reading about the program, seems like you can turn on to the climb from any world on a free ride…

Now I just have to learn how to turn!

Im just starting a few months of base miles and I don’t climb in Z2 very well, so it will be a bit before I’m climbing.