Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Hi from Texas

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-05, 09:24 AM
Chickenlipz

Bikes: Rans V-Rex, Greenspeed GTR 2020

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi from Texas

Hello everyone. Since I found this forum, I've been coming to read almost daily. I decided to go ahead and officially join. Name is Walt and I have been riding off and on for about 20 years. I seldom drive a car to work as the weather here in Fort Worth permits bike riding almost year round (not always pleasant, but it can be done). My goal is to eventually be totally car free, but I will have to ease into that. I've recently gone 'bent with a Rans v-rex. I enjoy it so much, that I've sold my other bikes. I also have a Greenspeed trike on it's way, and I am anxiously awaiting it's arrival. I enjoy this forum, and just wanted to say hi.
Old 03-16-05, 09:51 AM
MsVicki
Victoria's secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello, and welcome to Bikeforums.
Old 03-16-05, 12:50 PM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey! I live in Fort Worth, and also ride bent - a Optima Baron. My wife is looking at a catrike pocket even now, though we'd be interested in checking out your greenspeed after you've ridden it a while. Where do you usually ride? I've only met a couple benters here - a husband and wife team who ride a Hp Velotechnik and a Catrike road.

Greg
Old 03-16-05, 10:08 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi Walt, and welcome to the Forums. I envy your year round riding weather! I usually ride year round up here in PA, unless the roads get too icy. It's a bummer when the water bottles freeze shut though. Your goal of being totally car-free is admirable. I'm simply aiming to use my bike more for local trips rather than being lazy and hopping in the car.
Old 03-17-05, 10:14 AM
Chickenlipz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice to meet everyone. Greg, I would be happy to let you check out the Greenspeed. I am expecting to get it anytime now. I ride the Trinity River trails quite frequently. I ride to work and back, and usually ride the trails on my lunch hour (12:00 - 1:00) I also ride after work when I can, So I usually have a BOB trailer behind me. That's how I carry my work clothes, and it's easier to just ride with the trailer instead of going home and dropping it off first. I have noticed a few 'bent riders on the trails, but not very often. There are not very many of us yet.
Old 03-17-05, 10:34 AM
Chickenlipz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround
Your goal of being totally car-free is admirable.
I doubt my family will ever be completely car free, but I personally would like to get there. We drive "junkers" as it is, so I don't have car payments (unless you count all the repair bills) but the insurance and all that is eating me alive. I told my wife just today, that I was not going to buy another car when mine goes belly up for the last time. She can do whatever she wants, and I will support her decision, but for me I'm going to try to do without. Now if only I could get her interested in riding ....
Old 03-17-05, 10:55 AM
aikigreg
Recumbent Ninja

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have you thought about riding in the Easter Hill Country Tour? www.ehct.com
I'm going next weekend with my wife. We're primarily weekend riders, but I'm riding my new bent every chance I can get and trying to do some triathalons. We should get together on the trinity one weekend. Hope we get to meet sometime soon.

Oh, and re: the getting rid of the car thing - how awesome would that be? Someone made the sggestion that before you do, you try it out for a solid month. I think it would be fantastic to only have to have one car in my family.
Old 03-17-05, 01:25 PM
Chickenlipz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aikigreg
Have you thought about riding in the Easter Hill Country Tour? www.ehct.com
I'm going next weekend with my wife. We're primarily weekend riders, but I'm riding my new bent every chance I can get and trying to do some triathalons. We should get together on the trinity one weekend. Hope we get to meet sometime soon.

Oh, and re: the getting rid of the car thing - how awesome would that be? Someone made the sggestion that before you do, you try it out for a solid month. I think it would be fantastic to only have to have one car in my family.
Good luck on the EHCT. It looks like a nice one. I haven't been on an organized ride in quite a few years, but since I got the 'bent I've been thinking I might want to do a couple.
It would be fun to get together on the Trinity. Also, riding down 377 to Cresson and back is a good ride. It is a busy road with high speed traffic, but it has a wide shoulder and seems to be popular with a lot of cyclists around here.