Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Which IS the Better Deal? Trek 620 or the Voodoo Rada?

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-23, 10:44 AM
RoadWearier

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 75 Posts

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/5967274010062762/?mibextid=dXMIcH
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/591436672954334/?mibextid=dXMIcH

This is strictly from a monetary sense. I'm leaning toward the Voodoo just because of the ride.

The Trek 620 would be $300 even, the Voodoo I would need to throw in $110 in credit from a local store that sells used books/DVDs/CD/video games/electronics. Probably about a $70-80 monetary equivalent.

It was suggested I post here if I'm asking in monetary terms
Old 05-08-23, 11:01 AM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
I like the Voodoo as well.

Chris King rear hub is a nice touch. 1" carbon fork, 853 frame with funky swaged seatstays, Open Pros....lots of goodness here.

However, it does have an older SR cotterless crank which is not part of the Ultegra 9 group. That may or may not factor into your decision.
Old 05-08-23, 11:06 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by bargainguy
I like the Voodoo as well.

Chris King rear hub is a nice touch. 1" carbon fork, 853 frame with funky swaged seatstays, Open Pros....lots of goodness here.

However, it does have an older SR cotterless crank which is not part of the Ultegra 9 group. That may or may not factor into your decision.
How significant is that? I thought most cranks were cotterless now
Old 05-08-23, 12:32 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4236 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
The Trek has DT shifters and the Voodoo has integrated brake/shifter levers. Is that important to you? Trek is lugged, Voodoo is welded. You may care about that.

Old 05-08-23, 01:08 PM
bargainguy

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 517 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 191 Posts
Cranksets are cotterless these days. It's just a much older crankset that doesn't match the rest of the components.

An Ultegra 9 crank has ramps and pins to help facilitate shifting. The older SR may not have those. It may still work, just not as well as the original. Whenever I see one out-of-place component like this, I always wonder what happened to the original.
Old 05-08-23, 04:48 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
Are you planning on setting up for bags and carrying load? Or go snot sling fast? I like the Trek as a preferred style of ride.

The 620 is right sell at price. Cost is more but the Voodoo could possibly sell for more, maybe, with the correct matching parts in the future if you want to sell.

In my book other than two wheels not a good comparison. Neither is great deal but the Trek has a better cult following and you should not lose value if that one needs to sell.

At those prices I would not bother with either.
Old 05-08-23, 06:25 PM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Are you planning on setting up for bags and carrying load? Or go snot sling fast? I like the Trek as a preferred style of ride.

The 620 is right sell at price. Cost is more but the Voodoo could possibly sell for more, maybe, with the correct matching parts in the future if you want to sell.

In my book other than two wheels not a good comparison. Neither is great deal but the Trek has a better cult following and you should not lose value if that one needs to sell.

At those prices I would not bother with either.
Interesting. What do you think they are worth?
Old 05-09-23, 05:59 AM
bboy314

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 743 Times in 386 Posts
If I REALLY wanted the Trek I’d pay that for it. I wouldn’t expect to recoup my investment reselling it, though you probably could if you wanted to deal with eBay and shipping and had patience.

I think the price on the Voodoo isn’t bad, assuming it’s in great shape. I’d be curious about why the crankset was swapped. That said, I’m a mechanic and generally would go for a cheap or free project over a full price ready to ride bike, but I wouldn’t feel bad selling either of those at those prices as long as the condition is good and they have no issues.

Have you ridden both bikes?
Old 05-09-23, 06:19 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by bboy314
If I REALLY wanted the Trek I’d pay that for it. I wouldn’t expect to recoup my investment reselling it, though you probably could if you wanted to deal with eBay and shipping and had patience.

I think the price on the Voodoo isn’t bad, assuming it’s in great shape. I’d be curious about why the crankset was swapped. That said, I’m a mechanic and generally would go for a cheap or free project over a full price ready to ride bike, but I wouldn’t feel bad selling either of those at those prices as long as the condition is good and they have no issues.

Have you ridden both bikes?
Not yet they are in opposite directions and the seller of the Voodoo bike won't be back in town until Wednesday. I'm not trying to flip the bikes or anything like that, I just don't want to lose a lot of money. I lost money on the fx3 and don't want a repeat of that.

Last edited by RoadWearier; 05-09-23 at 07:42 AM.
Old 05-09-23, 07:44 AM
RoadWearier

Well now they have agreed to $280. I think I'll go with the Trek 620
Old 05-09-23, 08:04 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,753 Times in 966 Posts
I do think the numbers you posted were on the spot. Not at gouging level, not screaming deals.

I just picked up this from the local charity, I checked Craigslist and someone is asking $380 for one of the same. I think it's over priced for the make and model. Type of bike is the same as yours but made of a seamed and rolled Tange 900.

Congradulations on your new bike day!
Old 05-09-23, 08:14 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by hazetguy
some 'negative' issues with the 620 if components are original, which they mostly look to be:
-helicomatic hubs. rear can be problematic, or be dead and needing to be replaced.
-27" wheels. limits tire availability.
-cantilever brakes *might* not be compatible if/when you replace the wheels with 700C wheels.
-126 rear frame spacing. an issue for some people.
-some people have had bad luck with the duo-par rear derailleur.

some "positive" things about the 620:
-comes with 'early' Jim Blackburn lowrider rack, which, if you didn't want to use it, could be sold for a fair amount.
-nice that it comes with fenders if you wanted to use them.
-quality steel frame
-looks like a Technomic stem, which allows for height adjustability if necessary.
-it's nice that the original rear rack is still there.

some general comments about the 620:
-saddle and pedals look walmartish meh quality.
-if you don't like that mirror, removing it might necessitate replacing that brake lever, as some levers need to be modified when installing that mirror at the cable stop area.
-i saw the 620 when it first got listed, watched the price drop. at the time, i was looking for a touring frame, and seriously considered that 620 (a few hours drive for me), but did not want to go through the $ and time investment to make it into what I want a tourer to be. And *to me*, it is still quite overpriced.
-more info about the 620: https://www.vintage-trek.com/images/t...rekTouring.pdf
Ok I'm going to walk. Thanks so much for all this info. I definitely don't like the mirror and had no idea I might have to replace the brake lever. It seemed like a lot for a 80s road bike but earlier repliers thought it was a good deal. Even $280 is a lot to me for a bike I want to lock up downtown.

​​​​​
Old 05-10-23, 07:43 PM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 583 Post(s)
Liked 699 Times in 394 Posts
I love that mirror as do many others.
Old 05-11-23, 05:32 AM
RoadWearier

Originally Posted by sd5782