Search
Notices
Indoor & Stationary Cycling Forum From spin to Zwift to Peloton, this forum is dedicated to any and all indoor training on stationary bikes

Computer for Zwift

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-23, 02:17 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Computer for Zwift

I've been running Zwift on a very old desktop. It finally decided to join the great electronic scrap heap in the sky.
For those running Zwift on a desktop, what computer are you using? I asked a computer "guru" at a box store about what I would need, and brought in the requirements according to Zwift. He recommended a gaming computer for $1400. Uh, no. There has to be something less expensive that will be adequate. I'm not going to be running any games that require mega speed or graphics (I don't think - I'm illiterate when it comes to computer hardware.)
Suggestions?
Old 09-01-23, 05:10 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
Zwift insider just had an article about this: https://zwiftinsider.com/zwift-pc-guide/
The author, Dave Higgins, is the admin of a facebook group. He has written many guides about using zwift on a pc. They are included in the files section on that FB group https://www.facebook.com/groups/zpcmr
*read to the end of the user agreement before you answer the question.

The simple answer is that an old i3 running Win 10 will work. I think I have an i5. I don't think a $1400 gaming computer will get you much improvement. Zwift just doesn't use it.
Likes For unterhausen:
Old 09-01-23, 05:25 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10436 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
IIRC, Zwift doesn't need a lot of CPU, but it benefits from a really good graphics card, if you want detail, frame rate, shadows, etc.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-01-23, 08:30 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
A new computer with an SSD drive will be great for all your PC tasks. People adapt to slow startups, lags, and other delays. Everything is snappy on new PCs.

I already had a gaming PC from a few years ago, via microcenter.com. It was the cheapest way to get a reasonably fast CPU and a good graphics card, and an "NVMe" 1 TB drive -- this has a much faster transfer speed than the usual SATA drives.

I got it for photo (and video) editing. Both the fast CPU and the graphics processing make edit changes instant, and video editing reasonable instead of tediously slow.
I have a 4K 27 inch monitor -- these are great for any PC task -- reading articles, watching videos, etc. Very sharp.

My PC: Intel Core i7-10700K @ 3.80 GHz (the PC boosts it to 4.6 GHz when needed) ; 32GB memory (but 16 GB is likely fine) ; GPU Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super. I think it was about $1300.
A current "lower end" gaming computer: $850 AMD Ryzen 5 3. 16GB memory NVidia RTX 3060 ; 1TB NVMe SSD --- reasonably close to my setup.
https://www.microcenter.com/product/...gaming-pc?ob=1

What I like with my PC:
It's usually an instant launch when I click an icon. A few apps take 5-10 seconds to launch. those would have been 30,45, 60 seconds on my old laptop.
The big 4K monitor is so nice.
Even rebooting or software updates are very fast: 35 seconds to shutdown+reboot and ready to use again.
Copying files is so fast: around 300MB/second for big file copies.

I didn't know much I'd appreciate all these speed improvements -- I really like them.
I don't do games.

Just now, running Zwift with the Windows Task Manager to check on usage:

With Zwift, versus normal web browsing usage:
CPU: 25% vs 1%-5% typical
CPU speed: 4.5 GHz vs 1.1 Ghz -- it slows the speed when it's not busy, and the fans slow to a crawl. I hear them spin up for short periods when I do something calculation intensive.
Memory: 13GB vs 10GB So around 3GB for Zwift, not bad.
GPU video card: 25%-33% in the "3D" portion, low usage in the rest of the video processing; vs 2%-3% for web browsing.

I'm running Zwift in 4K mode: the graphics look sharp, and it's calculating shadows and other effects in the scene. Are these necessary? I like the interesting scenery design!

Would it be okay at 1080p or 720p? I switched the mode to 1080p and it's not bad. Some more fuzzy edges on objects, etc. Some of the cool effects might be missing. But the info boxes are just as readable, and I expect the game play isn't any different. Woulld a slower frame rate be annoying? Not sure.

I like solo sessions on Zwift, doing free rides or planned workouts. I have time to look around the scenery, etc. In fast group rides or racing events, all my concentration is on rider positions nearby and the stats in the data boxes. So a lower resolution display would be okay for these competitive events, I think. Is there any lag or other problems if the computer is slower? I don't expect much of that.

~~~
Zwift insider specs:
The CPU and graphics look fine.
He says 8 GB of memory is okay, and it probably is. if 16 GB is just slightly more expensive, I'd get it.
He says 128GB SSD is "easily enough" --- no. 1TB NVMe. Maybe 512GB if you don't have lots of video files or other large usage.

Last edited by rm -rf; 09-01-23 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-01-23, 10:45 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
i think if you spend more than $500 you will hav eenough compute power. i am using a crappy laptop that does have a SSD, my previous crappy laptop had a HDD and althogh painfully slow to start it worked fine once it was running. current machine when i last used it was better at the startup but no different in acutal use. i was casting it to a large TV.

i dreaded the updates, glad to hear they figured out how to defer updates until after a ride. that always irritated me.
Likes For spelger:
Old 09-02-23, 04:06 AM
oldukbkr 

Bikes: '59 Rory O'Brien, 49/72 Holdsworth Trike, '66 Bates BAR, '74 Bob Jackson

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
I recently bought a refurbed PC on EBay for $200 with specs that followed the guidelines from Dave Higgins FB referenced above. It’s running Zwift in Ultra mode just fine. You don’t need a high end gaming PC.
Likes For oldukbkr:
Old 09-02-23, 06:59 AM
Bald Paul

I guess I should add that this computer will be for Zwift only. I have my "main" computer in a room in the house that is separate from the room I have my bike and trainer set up. So, I'm not really concerned about running other programs (I do my photo and video editing on the main computer, along with just about everything else including CAD)
What about getting a newer computer (possibly a refurb unit with SSD, sufficient memory, crappy video) and upgrading with a better video card?
Old 09-02-23, 07:55 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I buy used computers from the local university and put an ssd in them. You can use a 250gb ssd if it's dedicated computer, which mine is, although I think I have a 500gb ssd in it. They sell you 250gb ssd for the price of shipping nowadays. I had an okay graphics card sitting around. It's not quite as good as the one that Dave Higgins recommends, but my computer is in a half-height case and doesn't have a very big power supply and I'm not too obsessed over graphics quality. I probably should have just left the card that was in there. I found out from experience that it's possible to get a card that zwift won't run on. I am using a 20" computer monitor sitting on the floor. Someday I'm going to hang it on a wall mount. Including the monitor, I probably have $150 invested in this computer.
Old 09-02-23, 08:47 AM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
im seeing a lot of cheap PCs on craigs list that would be adequate for zwift. might start there if only for zwift. pc/laptops generally have graphics built into the MB anyway. none that i have used for zwift have had a spearate card. maybe i have a low bar when it comes to graphic quality, zwift is a cartoon to me, but still fun.
Old 09-02-23, 10:15 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
What about getting an Apple TV instead? I don't have one -- using an old gaming laptop -- but I know lots of indoor cycling riders use the ATV and it tends to be well supported b/c there's no issues with driver compatibility and such.
Old 09-03-23, 01:13 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4415 Post(s)
Liked 4,867 Times in 3,012 Posts
+1 for Apple TV. Cheap, reliable and there is a native Zwift App for it. No need for an expensive gaming pc.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 09-04-23, 05:28 AM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by PeteHski
+1 for Apple TV. Cheap, reliable and there is a native Zwift App for it. No need for an expensive gaming pc.
Okay, now the BIG question - there are a lot of different versions/years/models of Apple TV. Which one is the latest and greatest for running Zwift?
Old 09-04-23, 02:49 PM
hayden52

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I've been running Zwift on a very old desktop. It finally decided to join the great electronic scrap heap in the sky.
For those running Zwift on a desktop, what computer are you using? I asked a computer "guru" at a box store about what I would need, and brought in the requirements according to Zwift. He recommended a gaming computer for $1400. Uh, no. There has to be something less expensive that will be adequate. I'm not going to be running any games that require mega speed or graphics (I don't think - I'm illiterate when it comes to computer hardware.)
Suggestions?
There's a Facebook group dedicated to collecting information about PC builds for Zwift. There's a lot of good information there. Basically, you need a newer generation Core I3, 8M ram, and preferably an SSD drive. A decent video card is also needed if you want to run max resolution and frame rates.
Old 09-04-23, 05:39 PM
Bald Paul

Originally Posted by hayden52
There's a Facebook group dedicated to collecting information about PC builds for Zwift. There's a lot of good information there. Basically, you need a newer generation Core I3, 8M ram, and preferably an SSD drive. A decent video card is also needed if you want to run max resolution and frame rates.
Yeah, looked at it. I can build a 4 cam, horizontally opposed turbo engine with synchronous direct injection in my sleep. I start looking at the specs for building a computer and fagettaboutit. I don't need graphics that high to run Zwift.
Old 09-05-23, 11:58 AM
Bald Paul

Well, I picked up a new Apple TV 4K with Wi-Fi and ethernet for $160.
Evidently, you need an Apple ID account to download Zwift. And evidently, Apple won't let me create one.
I'll be returning this POS tomorrow for a refund.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-05-23, 12:01 PM
PeteHski

Okay, now the BIG question - there are a lot of different versions/years/models of Apple TV. Which one is the latest and greatest for running Zwift?
Why not just get the current version? But if you are looking at used ones, then I think any of the 4K versions should be fine and they have been around for years. I would imagine DCRainmaker has reviewed most of them with Zwift.
Old 09-05-23, 12:03 PM
PeteHski

Well, I picked up a new Apple TV 4K with Wi-Fi and ethernet for $160.
Evidently, you need an Apple ID account to download Zwift. And evidently, Apple won't let me create one.
I'll be returning this POS tomorrow for a refund.
Why can't you create an Apple ID?
Old 09-05-23, 05:45 PM
Bald Paul

Why can't you create an Apple ID?
Beats the heck out of me, and it beats the heck out of Apple support as well. I'm returning the POS tomorrow and going shopping for a WINDOWS PC!
Old 09-06-23, 02:14 AM
PeteHski

Beats the heck out of me, and it beats the heck out of Apple support as well. I'm returning the POS tomorrow and going shopping for a WINDOWS PC!
Weird.
Old 09-06-23, 10:23 AM
Bald Paul

Weird.
It was. After two days and many hours between chat with Apple support, which was escalated to a higher power, which became a phone call and then giving permission for that person to see my computer screen as I attempted yet again, it was finally resolved after much trial and error.
Of course, then the Apple TV said I had to log into my iTunes account before I could download Zwift. Why that is, I have no explanation for. I think Apple tries to force you into their Matrix somehow.
I had downloaded iTunes previously, and when I couldn't log in, I removed it with Control Panel. Tried to reinstall, and was told it couldn't be installed due to a file that was of a later, updated version. Several more hours researching that issue, found the folder that the file had been in - evidently Control Panel left that behind on the uninstall - and deleted the folder. BTW, the file wasn't in it. After a clean reinstallation and signing into my iTunes account, I was able to download Zwift, and all is well with the world.
Except I ran out of Prozac.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 09-06-23, 03:47 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
I just got a small form factor optiplex i5-6500 I paid $50 for and an rx6400 (I also have a gt 1030 I could use) and although the rx6400 gives me the basic profile, I can see shadows and stuff and get framerates in the 70s and it also streams at the same time. and i can always use it as a proper pc if I ever want to.
Old 09-07-23, 02:15 AM
PeteHski

It was. After two days and many hours between chat with Apple support, which was escalated to a higher power, which became a phone call and then giving permission for that person to see my computer screen as I attempted yet again, it was finally resolved after much trial and error.
Of course, then the Apple TV said I had to log into my iTunes account before I could download Zwift. Why that is, I have no explanation for. I think Apple tries to force you into their Matrix somehow.
I had downloaded iTunes previously, and when I couldn't log in, I removed it with Control Panel. Tried to reinstall, and was told it couldn't be installed due to a file that was of a later, updated version. Several more hours researching that issue, found the folder that the file had been in - evidently Control Panel left that behind on the uninstall - and deleted the folder. BTW, the file wasn't in it. After a clean reinstallation and signing into my iTunes account, I was able to download Zwift, and all is well with the world.
Except I ran out of Prozac.
LOL! So not the usual Apple plug-and-play then. Usually it just works, so hopefully your Zwifting will be easy now. I run Zwift on a MacBook Air, which is flawless, but Apple TV is way cheaper for a dedicated Zwift setup. Enjoy!
Old 09-14-23, 07:32 PM
WT21

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
I inherited an iMac from my father when he passed last year. It's about 5-6 years old and runs Zwift without issue. 21" monitor, good sound, saves space. Working for me. It's one of the older intel-based Macs, and knowing my dad, probably the minimal specs.
Old 10-01-23, 04:53 PM
Bald Paul

UPDATE: I finally got things working - sort of. I will preface my next statement by saying that I hate everything Apple (sorry, Apple fans).
The circular touch pad thing on the Apple TV remote is SO DANG SENSITIVE that looking at it moves the selection on the screen. I hated that thing on the old iPods when they first came out (I admit, I had one, got rid of it after it repeatedly locked up on me.) With care, patience, and a few choice cuss words I can actually start the app, pair my sensors, choose my route, and start pedaling. However, when I'm done, I go through the care, patience, and cussing again to move the selection to the EXIT door on the app, and..... nothing. It refuses to accept the input.
I swear, I don't even think I'll drink apple juice anymore.
Old 10-02-23, 04:40 AM
PeteHski

UPDATE: I finally got things working - sort of. I will preface my next statement by saying that I hate everything Apple (sorry, Apple fans).
The circular touch pad thing on the Apple TV remote is SO DANG SENSITIVE that looking at it moves the selection on the screen. I hated that thing on the old iPods when they first came out (I admit, I had one, got rid of it after it repeatedly locked up on me.) With care, patience, and a few choice cuss words I can actually start the app, pair my sensors, choose my route, and start pedaling. However, when I'm done, I go through the care, patience, and cussing again to move the selection to the EXIT door on the app, and..... nothing. It refuses to accept the input.
I swear, I don't even think I'll drink apple juice anymore.
I don’t have an Apple TV, but I would have thought that there is a good chance that you can adjust the sensitivity of the touch pad.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.