Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Physics of “English bunny hop”

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-23, 02:11 PM
Redbullet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 388 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 49 Posts

I never understood the physics of the “English bunny hop”, thus, I was always afraid to try it. I assume that I must count on the cleat tension to lift the full weight of the bike (say around 9 kg). But since I set cleat tension to a minimum, I am afraid of losing contact with the pedals while lifting the bike, which would lead to a crash.
Or… how does it work?
Old 10-18-23, 02:52 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2640 Post(s)
Liked 3,153 Times in 1,660 Posts
The torque you put on the pedals when performing a sprint is way higher than what you will do from lifting the bike. Try it a few times at low speed in a parking lot to get confidence.
Old 10-18-23, 03:38 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
I didn't know there was a different bunny hop. However it seems I've always been doing the English version. I'm in SPD's and not tight on the tension. So I don't think you have a worry. Perhaps if you need some reassurance, then pull up with your leg on the upstroke when doing a hard climb or hard acceleration. If your shoe comes free of the pedal then, you might should be somewhat careful.

But I've never even considered that my feet might come undone. There isn't much force on the pedals other than lifting some of the weight of your bike.
Old 10-18-23, 04:16 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 824 Post(s)
Liked 1,659 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by Redbullet
I never understood the physics of the “English bunny hop”, thus, I was always afraid to try it. I assume that I must count on the cleat tension to lift the full weight of the bike (say around 9 kg). But since I set cleat tension to a minimum, I am afraid of losing contact with the pedals while lifting the bike, which would lead to a crash.
Or… how does it work?
First, you need an English bunny...
Old 10-18-23, 04:29 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,699 Times in 2,519 Posts
I knew there were two kinds of bunny hop, but I don't think I've heard it called "American" vs. "English". "American bunny hop" involves starting with a wheelie (or is it a manual, I can't do either).
Old 10-18-23, 06:48 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1138 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
You mean like to get up a curb? I do that.
Old 10-18-23, 06:55 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3952 Post(s)
Liked 7,299 Times in 2,947 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
First, you need an English bunny...
Would a Welsh rabbit suffice?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 10-18-23, 07:14 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3147 Post(s)
Liked 1,712 Times in 1,034 Posts
Release tension is only applicable in the release direction and should not be— ideally— a factor when pulling straight up. However, even if your technique is imperfect and involves a little “heel out” motion that causes releases, just because your foot comes off the pedal does not mean you will crash.

Old 10-18-23, 07:57 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Likes For big john:
Old 10-18-23, 08:09 PM
spelger

yeah, that's not something i'll be doing on my road bike. although might have saved my wheel today, crashed hard, wheel is toast. damn curb.
Old 10-18-23, 11:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Or… how does it work?
First off, the Freedom Bunny Hop is vastly superior to its antiquated Victorian cousin.

An American bunny hop really is better for like 90% of obstacle jumping.
The English bunny hop is helpful when wanting reposition yourself on the trail and a few very specific and limited other instances. An English hop takes more energy and you can't get as high.

As for needing to be clipped in for an English bunny hop to work, you don't need to be clipped in. You just need to push down to load, then pull up evenly between both wheels. Core muscles are your friend. The loading is critical.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-19-23, 02:57 AM
choddo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 682 Post(s)
Liked 453 Times in 338 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
yeah, that's not something i'll be doing on my road bike. although might have saved my wheel today, crashed hard, wheel is toast. damn curb.
Many’s the time a hastily organised bunny hop (not sure of nationality) has saved me from something nasty on the road. I cleared an unexpected 2 foot long, inch+ deep trench a few months back. Was next to a buddy and near centre line so nowhere else to go. Proudest moment on a bike. 😄
Likes For choddo:
Old 10-19-23, 06:49 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Or… how does it work?
Try it in an empty parking lot. The pedals are what lifts the bike. You need to pull on the handlebars a little as well to make sure the bike stays parallel to the ground. If your pedals are too loose, and depending on your feet moment, your shoes might unclip.

Never tried an american bunny hop on a road bike - it's kind of odd I think.
Old 10-19-23, 08:18 AM
Jughed

Bikes: Lemond Zurich/Trek ALR/Giant TCX/Sette CX1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 772 Times in 404 Posts
I learned to bunny hop riding BMX/Mountain bikes - no clips needed, no pulling up with the feet at all. Both styles of hop...

Great skill for a roadie to have, you never know when something may pop up on the road in front of you. The last thing I had to hop was the dreaded loose water bottle from another rider.

All roadies could benefit from riding BMX, Mountain, cyclocross bikes... many bike handling skills required for these types of riding can translate to better bike handling while on the road.
Likes For Jughed:
Old 10-19-23, 10:09 AM
spelger

i can bunny hop. do it on a regular basis because of some of the cracks in the roads i ride on. they are like canyons sometimes. there was no way i was going to bunny hop the obstacle last night. my fault last night was i came into a round-about way too hot. over confident dummy i was.
Old 10-19-23, 10:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
OP.... Take notice that the guy in the video posted by big john recommended that you might want to use flat pedals. Apparently he believes clipless pedals will not show you the common mistakes one makes. Though he is apparently doing the American version of the bunny-hop.
Old 10-19-23, 11:55 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 586 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
OP.... Take notice that the guy in the video posted by big john recommended that you might want to use flat pedals. Apparently he believes clipless pedals will not show you the common mistakes one makes. Though he is apparently doing the American version of the bunny-hop.
Yeah, looks like a wheelie and pop to me. The more refined english one is classier!
Old 10-19-23, 12:16 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8281 Post(s)
Liked 9,053 Times in 4,479 Posts
Originally Posted by eduskator
Yeah, looks like a wheelie and pop to me. The more refined english one is classier!
He specifically says in the video that it is wrong to start with a manual (wheelie). What he is doing is an extreme example and most of us are never going to get that high off the ground.
Old 10-19-23, 12:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,932 Times in 2,557 Posts
More than a few road racers have English bunny hopped to the side and popped up onto the sidewalk to avoid crashes. I doubt I have the skill to pull that off and thankfully never needed it.

The English bunny hop seems to be the one universally used in cyclo cross.
Likes For 79pmooney: