Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A Ride in the Park

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A Ride in the Park

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-04, 08:37 PM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A Ride in the Park

Man! It was a beautiful day. I was out spinning around the park on my brand new Trek Madone, wearing my full postal kit, cruising easy without a care. The sun was shining, the sky was blue, the birds were singing and all was right with the world.

Then suddenly I saw him, ahead on the bike path, one of those loser-boy tri-geeks. You know the type. He’s a yuppie scum bean-counter by day, yuppie-scum carb-counter by night. Sits at his desk waiting for 5:00 so he can slip out of the corporate pinstripe and slide into the speed-o, singlet and helmet. Thinks a six-pack is a muscle group. I see him up there hunched over his aerobars, back so flat you could iron shirts on it, and I know he’s mine. I can’t help it. I just have to mess with these guys. I kick it up a gear and sprint for his back wheel. With his head down like that he can’t see me. He can’t hear my freewheel clicking over his own ragged breath. I sit on his wheel like a tick on a hound, happily sucking away until I’m good and rested. Then I clear my throat. He raises his head just in time to see me speed by.

Now, I’m grinning ear-to-ear showing the tri-guy nothing but ass and elbows, when out of nowhere some punk on a MTB goes by me like I’m standing still. I mean, hell’s bells, this guy has rattly old SPD pedals, a Rock Shox fork, mud on his downtube and a jersey that fits like a parachute. He’s riding on knobbies, for Pete’s sake, and he goes by me so fast I feel the rush of air. There’s no freekin’ way I’m going to stand for this. He caught me by surprise. That’s all. He’s messing with me and, so help me, it pisses me off!

There’s only one thing to do. I take the shortest route home, hang the Madone up, swap the spandex for a pair of cut-offs and an old Black Flag concert t-shirt. I grab my 70s Peugeot fixie conversion, and roll out for the park again. I’ve got a pretty good idea where I can find that mountain biking show-off, and when I do, I’ll smoke him like a ham. After about three laps of the park, I scope him. He’s standing on the pedals now, struggling up a little rise. It’s not even a hill really. So I drop the hammer and blow him away like Dorothy’s house in Kansas. That’ll teach the little bar steward! Now I just have to see his face. I look back the way Lance looked at Ullrich. No expression. No emotion. Just a long, cold, pitiless glare.

And what do I see? Some bozo on a downhill rig closing on me. That bike must weigh 60 pounds. It’s got like 8 inches of travel front and rear. He’s wearing body armor and a full-face helmet and there’s nothing I can do. I blew myself up passing the MTB punk, and this DH jerk goes by me so fast that I see a red shift. Honest.

Well, you know I’m not going to take that. He dropped the gauntlet, and I can’t let it lie there. I bust my butt for home again, lock the fixie to a lamp-post, run inside, pull on my elbow pads and chrome helmet, jump on the 20” BMXer and head for the park once more. That downhiller is going to look like a chump when I spank him on my FBM. I’m hustling along now, doing maybe 20-25 mph, sniffing for my prey, thinking how sweet it’s going to be when I bunny hop right over him…

And that’s when this soccer mom on a pink Huffy complete with basket and tassels, pulling a five-year-old on a Trail-gator has the colossal nerve to go blazing past me. She’s not even a real cyclist. I mean, she’s wearing a sundress and strappy sandals! She’s got a little black yappy dog in the basket! What’s worse, she actually dares to smile and wave at me as she goes by! And the little girl on the Tag-A-Long sticks out her tongue! You have got to be crapping me! I mean here I am enjoying a beautiful, sunny day in the park when this woman comes along and totally pees in my cornflakes. She’d probably been drafting me for a couple of laps of the park, and I just didn’t notice it. Then she blows by me and grins like it’s funny or something. I’ve had it!

I’m going home now. I’m going to pull on my skin suit and my aero-helmet. I’m going to put the disc wheel on my Quintana Roo. Then I’m going back to the park to find that soccer mom.

She’s meat.

And so’s her five-year-old.

And her little dog, too!
Old 10-25-04, 11:26 PM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You live in a very interesting area...to see that much variety in such a little amount of time.
Old 10-26-04, 05:25 AM
bnet1
'Bent Brian

Bikes: Trek 1000, Rans Tailwind

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go sic 'em! (he, he!)

'bent Brian
Old 10-26-04, 05:27 AM
MsVicki
Victoria's secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well done, RG.
Old 10-26-04, 06:27 AM
boyze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 10-26-04, 06:49 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm assuming you're holding the recumbent in reserve for smokin the old lady on the adult trike?
Old 10-26-04, 06:50 AM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Alternate ending:

...I've had it.

I’m going home now. I’m going to pull on my baggy pants, my big shoes and my red nose.. I’m going to pull my unicycle out of the closet. Then I’m going back to the park to find that soccer mom.

She’s meat.

And her little dog, too!
Old 10-26-04, 08:08 AM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Sheesh, I woulda bailed and gone for a beer after the 2nd go round.

Marty

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 10-26-04, 08:17 AM
MsVicki
Victoria's secret

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 10-26-04, 09:09 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You crack me up!
Old 10-26-04, 03:09 PM
Seeker
Old dude on old bikes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ummmm...This is like a dig at those A-type alpha idiots that can't just go out and have a good time riding a bike .......right?
Old 10-26-04, 05:44 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Looks like reuglarguy has been smoking too much weed.
Old 10-26-04, 06:11 PM
A.troll
Ride Nekkid!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seeker
Ummmm...This is like a dig at those A-type alpha idiots that can't just go out and have a good time riding a bike .......right?
Sounds like it to me, stud.

You did good, Regularguy.
Old 10-27-04, 04:35 AM
jonnyweale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What you want to do is set your unicycle up as a 53 - 11, then you'll rule.

Top post RG

Last edited by jonnyweale; 10-27-04 at 04:36 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-27-04, 07:35 AM
Diggy18
. . . rosebud . . .

Bikes: Diamondback Outlook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RegularGuy
Alternate ending:

...I've had it.

I’m going home now. I’m going to pull on my baggy pants, my big shoes and my red nose.. I’m going to pull my unicycle out of the closet. Then I’m going back to the park to find that soccer mom.

She’s meat.

And her little dog, too!

That's hilarious!