Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

derailleur cable -- why does it have to go in the back?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-12, 09:45 AM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cleaning the bike last night I started thinking about this...with all the shifter-cable issues (length, weight, hanging out a loop back there that could snag) has anyone ever tried to design a derailleur with the cable coming in the other side, near the front of the bike? Is it possible?
Old 06-22-12, 09:50 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1483 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by adrien
Cleaning the bike last night I started thinking about this...with all the shifter-cable issues (length, weight, hanging out a loop back there that could snag) has anyone ever tried to design a derailleur with the cable coming in the other side, near the front of the bike? Is it possible?
It needs to go in where the derailleur pivots. The derailluer body moves back and forth as it goes up and down the cluster. If the cable entered in the front, opposite the side of the pivot, it would impinge on the movement of the cable, and change the length of the cable run.

IT would be a PITA to engineer around that.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 06-22-12, 10:30 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by adrien
... has anyone ever tried to design a derailleur with the cable coming in the other side, near the front of the bike? Is it possible?
I think the derailleur on my hybrid is closer to what you are thinking about. (it changes incredibly smoothly)

Old 06-22-12, 11:11 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Yeah. SRAM mtb RDs are all like that now. Routing the shifter cables under the bar tape doesn't help. The old style brifters where the cables come out the sides and makes a single smooth large radius 90 degree bend to the stops on the downtube work much better in this regard.

Of course Di solves that problem completely.
Old 06-22-12, 11:17 AM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by giantcfr1
I think the derailleur on my hybrid is closer to what you are thinking about. (it changes incredibly smoothly)

Yup. I like that a lot, and it would work well with internal routing...
Old 06-22-12, 11:33 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I've never seen polka dot rims on anything other than a fixie...
Full pics please.
Old 06-22-12, 11:39 AM
GiantDefyGuy
At least I'm not a poseur

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Curious. What are all those red dots about?

I have been staring at the picture for like 10 minutes. I've finally decided that they're not photoshopped on there, but I can't figure out what they are.
Old 06-22-12, 11:45 AM
fly:yes/land:no
abandoning

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
optical illusion? - chain looks bent where it intersects the non-driveside seatstay.
Old 06-22-12, 12:15 PM
GiantDefyGuy
At least I'm not a poseur

Bikes: Giant Defy 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fly:yes/land:no
optical illusion? - chain looks bent where it intersects the non-driveside seatstay.
You're not crazy. I see that too.

It probably has something to do with those red spots. That's not really a factory-bought polka-dot rim, is it? It seems that someone missed a spot at about 5:00 on that rim.
Old 06-22-12, 12:19 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
For what its worth, my experience with the SRAM mtb stuff pictured is that they work decently when the cable comes down the seat stay (like on an mtb frame), but not as well when it comes along the chain stay (like a road bike). There is enough of a difference in the angle that you have to have the short piece of cable perfect or you have trouble reaching the full gear spectrum. A tad too long, and you can't spring return to the smallest cogs, too short and you have no tension on the housing to allow relative movement (nothing happens when you index, if I recall correctly).

Edit: not saying that it doesn't work spectacularly once figured out. My primary bike has SRAM X9, and it works smoother and more consistently than 105, IMO.
Old 06-22-12, 12:33 PM
UCIMBZ
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
With the electronic shifting on the rise your point is moot.
Old 06-22-12, 12:35 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
For what its worth, my experience with the SRAM mtb stuff pictured is that they work decently when the cable comes down the seat stay (like on an mtb frame), but not as well when it comes along the chain stay (like a road bike). There is enough of a difference in the angle that you have to have the short piece of cable perfect or you have trouble reaching the full gear spectrum. A tad too long, and you can't spring return to the smallest cogs, too short and you have no tension on the housing to allow relative movement (nothing happens when you index, if I recall correctly).
Exactly what I was thinking. If the cable came down the chainstay, I dont think you would be able to bend it right for that derailleur.
Old 06-22-12, 07:45 PM
kraftwerk 
my nice bike is at home

Bikes: 2011 BMC Race Machine / 2012 BMC Road Machine / Trek 2300 / '90's Merlin/ '70's Raleigh 20/ Ti-'swift' folder / Erickson w/S&S couplers

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
dude, you are talking about the future! Its not here yet..