Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

What do you do with "occasional use" tubeless tires between uses?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-19, 10:19 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

I have two sets of wheels for my gravel bike. One wears 700x36 tires and the other 650x47. I only use the 650b tires / wheels a couple times per year. But as they wait their turn, they lose air and the sealant starts to congeal in the bottom of the tire. Rather than maintaining the constant readiness of my 650b tubeless tires, I'm wondering if I shouldn't remove those tires, clean them and the wheels of sealant, and store them separate -- then mount the tires those couple times per year as an appropriate race date approaches.

If you've got multiple sets of tubeless tires in a rotation, what do you do with the set that's "on the bench?" Do you periodically inflate, check sealant levels, and spin those wheels? Or do you strip them and store them for mounting closer to the time they're needed?
Old 05-02-19, 10:29 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Yeah, you can't let them sit. If they are race only and only a couple times a year, yes - take them apart and assemble them before the race.

Personally, I:
  • Rotate my spare wheels every week or so (especially in deep winter where they don't get much use) and ride them at least once a month.
  • Put tubes in tires that get limited use. Some of my older bikes don't get the seat time to warrant tubeless.

Other alternative is to get a non latex sealant that doesn't dry up (slime).
Old 05-02-19, 10:30 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
I just spin them around every month or two. They lose air but dont come off the beads. Then just check sealant levels before riding
Old 05-02-19, 10:34 AM
wsteve464

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 62 Posts
I ignore them until I want to use them, then install sealant and ride, no racing though.
Old 05-02-19, 01:47 PM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I just put tubes in them. Tubeless is for the tires I use on a regular basis.
Old 05-02-19, 02:11 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
If you're going to go several months without using them, pull 'em off, clean 'em out, fold 'em back up. I just mounted my "summer" tires (after finding out that my usual off-road routes are a blown-out sandy apocalypse from lack of rain) and took off my usually year-round Hutchinson Overides. I just sprayed the tires with the hose, wiped them out, refolded them, and put them in the nifty boxes the summer tires came in. They'd only been on the bike about 2 months (~1,200 miles, give or take,) so they looked brand new. For clarity, I use Orange Seal, and the tires came out absolutely clean.