Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Training Status??? (IV) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1021397)

globecanvas 08-19-15 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 18089454)
I hate you all for this, I'm thinking of picking up a head unit with GPS, because Strava.

Dammit.

Do it! I think it's great to see my friends' rides and it's cool to get attaboys and get-em-next-times.

mike868y 08-19-15 11:49 AM

i hate to admit it but strava was one of the reasons i finally decided to get a garmin. the phone app is just so unreliable. that and mapping for exploration purposes.

TheKillerPenguin 08-19-15 12:18 PM

No one's slick as Gaston
No one's quick as Gaston
No one's guads as incredibly thick as Gaston's
For there's no man on Strava half as manly

furiousferret 08-19-15 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by caloso (Post 18089465)
I started taking magnesium supplements and it's really helped avoid cramping.

Thanks for the heads up. I got some multivitamin from Twinlab that has 100% magnesium, and I ordered SaltStick, SCaps, and Endurolytes. Plan on trying all 3 blindly and seeing what works best. It seems they all work well, but one test to work better than the rest individual by individual.

Sizzle82 08-19-15 02:49 PM

Magnesium does help. I use the liquid Doesn't taste great but I throw some in a some cranberry juice in the morning. My wife says its made a big difference for the calf cramping issue she has had.

Ygduf 08-19-15 03:21 PM

zma is the one supplement I believe in taking all the time. beta alanine, beetroot, and caffeine too, if I think about it.

caloso 08-19-15 03:53 PM

Zima?

https://pubcrawlin.files.wordpress.c...8/10/zima2.jpg

shovelhd 08-19-15 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 18089454)
I hate you all for this, I'm thinking of picking up a head unit with GPS, because Strava.

Dammit.

My Garmin 800 will be for sale soon.

TheKillerPenguin 08-19-15 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 18090802)
zma is the one supplement I believe in taking all the time. beta alanine, beetroot, and caffeine too, if I think about it.

Beta alanine is soooooooo great. I take rhodiola as well but I'm not too sure that is much more than a placebo for on the bike stuff. Off the bike it definitely is a mild mood booster.

furiousferret 08-19-15 04:51 PM

So many things to try, these sups are going to put me up another notch, or at least on notch one.

TheKillerPenguin 08-19-15 05:03 PM

All of the supplements. You should try cocaine*.

*you should not try cocaine.

Ygduf 08-19-15 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 18091096)
All of the supplements. You should try cocaine*.

*you should not try cocaine.

enough caffeine and a daily dosage of flonase = what's the dif.

Hls2k6 08-19-15 07:51 PM

USADA asks you if you wants to declare any meds or supplements. I don't even use a drink mix or take a multivitamin, albeit because I'm clueless about what I should be doing. I asked if I needed to declare Ben & Jerry's, although SweetFrog is my true addiction.

carpediemracing 08-19-15 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by Hls2k6 (Post 18091606)
USADA asks you if you wants to declare any meds or supplements. I don't even use a drink mix or take a multivitamin, albeit because I'm clueless about what I should be doing.

^ Sort of what I do. I sometimes take a multi. I stopped with the sodas before races, only drink water on the bike.

I don't foresee myself ever needing to pee for USADA but it's one of those things that it would be an honor to do so if I'm ever asked.

revchuck 08-19-15 08:15 PM

I don't even use a drink mix or take a multivitamin...
Don't go to Europe.

johnybutts 08-19-15 08:39 PM

1:20 on the trainer with zwift.

furiousferret 08-19-15 09:01 PM

USADA asks you if you wants to declare any meds or supplements. I don't even use a drink mix or take a multivitamin, albeit because I'm clueless about what I should be doing. I asked if I needed to declare Ben & Jerry's, although SweetFrog is my true addiction.

That ship sailed long ago with my asthma meds.

Yep 08-19-15 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 18090802)

I'm interested in beta alanine. How much do you take?

hack 08-19-15 10:06 PM

local hammer ride ... early break, then caught, then dropped on the crux climb. chased with the second group. gotta stop riding like *****.

Ygduf 08-19-15 11:39 PM

Originally Posted by Yep (Post 18091909)
I'm interested in beta alanine. How much do you take?

I usually take a few 3-4 grams/day in a shake when I get home from work. I'll also put 1/2 that much in each race bottle.

It works over time, but has a stimulant response when taken.

Wylde06 08-20-15 05:36 AM

Recovery ride last night. 1:15, something like 15, maybe 20, tss

bostongarden 08-20-15 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by johnybutts (Post 18091780)
1:20 on the trainer with zwift.

Keep going...you are going to win your race.

bostongarden 08-20-15 06:51 AM

Decided to surprise shovel and show up for the Wednesday evening ride after work. The surprise was on me: no shovel and I couldn't get the chain into the big ring, even manually when off the bike. I was spinning pretty good and stuck just shy of 116, and then caught back on at the lights at 47. But, that was enough spinning for me; I turned right and headed back to Northampton.

mike868y 08-20-15 07:29 AM

trail ride on the cross bike to cap off a really hard 10 days. recovery or off (i think it might rain?) tomorrow, openers saturday, then a dirt road/gravel/trail race on sunday (VOGP).

TheKillerPenguin 08-20-15 07:48 AM

I used to take optygen because team discovery was sponsored by them and it seemed to work but was priced obscenely. Optygen is basically beta alanine and rhodiola + cordyceps and some bs atp blend, so now I take the beta alanine which definitely does something, and the rhodiola which might do something. It's a lot cheaper, if it was expensive I wouldn't bother because I don't think the difference is that drastic, just seems to help with day to day recovery.

grolby 08-20-15 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by globecanvas (Post 18089812)
Do it! I think it's great to see my friends' rides and it's cool to get attaboys and get-em-next-times.

+1

Originally Posted by mike868y (Post 18089921)
i hate to admit it but strava was one of the reasons i finally decided to get a garmin. the phone app is just so unreliable. that and mapping for exploration purposes.

Why hate to admit it? The Strava haters are gonna hate, but there's no reason to be ashamed of it. Strava can be fun. I'll admit it's become largely extraneous for me, since the main benefit I derive from it is ride and time tracking, and Cycling Analytics is handling the former, now. But if I want to track my hours, it's still Strava, CA is surprisingly difficult to track weekly hours with. But I haven't gotten a KOM in forever, there are so many fast people around here.

grolby 08-20-15 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by mike868y (Post 18092677)
trail ride on the cross bike to cap off a really hard 10 days. recovery or off (i think it might rain?) tomorrow, openers saturday, then a dirt road/gravel/trail race on sunday (VOGP).

YES. Finally got my cross bike reconstructed and rode it in today, and I'm pretty excited about it.

furiousferret 08-20-15 08:32 AM

This weekend I busted my tail on a 1 mile 4% climb to get a KOM, thought I got it but the segment was deemed 'not safe'.

Of course, the segment the opposite way downhill is still there, in which there is no way you can get it without running a light and blowing through several blind stop signs.

TheKillerPenguin 08-20-15 10:14 AM

HR for wattages is down pretty significantly even toward the tail ends of rides, so either I'm really really well rested or i'm really really overtrained haha.

During the last block at the request of the coach I lowered my training power like 10-15% and it seems to have lead to a lot of benefits after a recovery period, I would wager because the lower wattages still provided 95% of the benefits with only 70-75% of the fatigue which meant day to day I could spend more time in zone. The progress is really apparent; the other day I did 2 sets of 3x5min with 2min recovery between efforts and I was doing them on rolling terrain and even did one downhill, at power I struggled to put out doing standard uphill 5x5 vo2 work with 5min recovery back in even May. The coolest part is that the target power was for ITT rather than vo2 this time, and it definitely did not feel hard. Just kind of cool to see consistency pays off more than singular hulk smash workouts.

mike868y 08-20-15 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by grolby (Post 18092846)
+1

Why hate to admit it? The Strava haters are gonna hate, but there's no reason to be ashamed of it. Strava can be fun. I'll admit it's become largely extraneous for me, since the main benefit I derive from it is ride and time tracking, and Cycling Analytics is handling the former, now. But if I want to track my hours, it's still Strava, CA is surprisingly difficult to track weekly hours with. But I haven't gotten a KOM in forever, there are so many fast people around here.

yeah i mainly use strava for the social and tracking aspects. i don't think i've ever actually "gone" for a kom segment.