Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

ls01 04-22-20 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21433116)
Sadly, no wattage estimates. This is the best that I can do -

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4570b12d2e.jpg

hmph. Doesnt look up hill....

Velo Vol 04-22-20 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21433116)
Sadly, no wattage estimates. This is the best that I can do -

Is the "+" for the bottom figures necessary? Is it possible to have negative steps?

WhyFi 04-22-20 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21433138)
Is the "+" for the bottom figures necessary? Is it possible to have negative steps?

Put it in reverse and you can spin back the odometer.

WhyFi 04-22-20 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21433147)
Put it in reverse and you can spin back the odometer.

Didn't work for Cameron.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...d92f531ab7.gif

abshipp 04-22-20 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21433087)
For the twice-per-year tire swap? I admire your powers of bike justification, but I'd rather bend that logic towards something more fun.

Always here to help :thumb:

I can't see myself ever owning a folding bike or a mini-velo. That VO one is the best I've ever seen, but when frames start to get as big as I need the "mini" part kind of starts to go away...

datlas 04-22-20 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21433124)
So here's a sequence of dumb questions for you and MoAlpha and any other docs in the house.

1) If getting the disease does not confer immunity, can a vaccine confer immunity?
2) If getting the disease only confers temporary immunity, can a vaccine also only confer temporary immunity?
3) If all of the above is true, is it likely that subsequent infections are less likely to cause the severe symptoms? Obviously this will be an extrapolation.

Because if this can be reacquired, a vaccine can't stop it, and it continues to play Russian roulette with your lungs... we're just done.

1. Maybe, depends on the antigen in the vaccine.
2. Maybe, see above
3. Maybe

Obviously there is much we don’t know. I spoke briefly to our county health commissioner yesterday and asked if there is any sense on how long acquired immunity lasts, and she said they think “months” but we don’t really know.

I also expressed my disappointment that the health dept is not offering mass testing and does not seem to even be planning for it (which IMO they should), she agreed it should be done but said the barriers are all coming from the federal authorities. Sad.

datlas 04-22-20 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21433134)
It's super windy today, but the sun is out. I'm going for a short run. :twitchy:

Running is stupid. Don’tcha know?

WhyFi 04-22-20 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21433164)
I also expressed my disappointment that the health dept is not offering mass testing and does not seem to even be planning for it (which IMO they should), she agreed it should be done but said the barriers are all coming from the federal authorities. Sad.

But they've been graded 10/10. :foo:

WhyFi 04-22-20 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21433167)

Unless bears and/or killer bees are involved.

datlas 04-22-20 11:46 AM

It’s PUMP day!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...8f6e2065a.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...f344b97f8.jpeg

abshipp 04-22-20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21433093)
Or do what I did for that situation and run. Simpler and an easy way to handle a few miles.

I have run 3 miles once.

I did not enjoy a single bit of it.

I don't think I've ever enjoyed a run, but I always wished I could.

Just curious - years ago in college I lived with a runner who also worked at a shoe store, I went in and she watched the way I walked and fitted me to a pair of shoes that supposedly would help with whatever anatomical weirdness was going on in my feet. How necessary is going through something like that for someone who would maybe want to get into trail running? I have zero interest in pounding pavement, but trail/off-road running vaguely interests me. I know that I'm much fussier about my road bike fit than I am with a MTB, is there a parallel there in the running world? Could you get away with a "worse" fitting shoe if the terrain varies a lot more?

WhyFi 04-22-20 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21433173)
It’s PUMP day!

Nice! I got my Lezyne yesterday. Quite frankly, it was a little larger than expected.

WhyFi 04-22-20 11:51 AM

If ever there was a time for a 'TWSS'....

ls01 04-22-20 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21433180)
If ever there was a time for a 'TWSS'....

give a guy a chance, will ya....

Velo Vol 04-22-20 12:05 PM

Obviously there is much we don’t know. I spoke briefly to our county health commissioner yesterday and asked if there is any sense on how long acquired immunity lasts, and she said they think “months” but we don’t really know..

Isn't this just another way of asking how fast the virus evolves?

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21433174)
I have zero interest in pounding pavement, but trail/off-road running vaguely interests me.

SMH

BillyD 04-22-20 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21433168)
But they've been graded 10/10. :foo:

The best, the greatest and the best. :rolleyes:

abshipp 04-22-20 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21433214)
SMH

What are your thoughts on hiking?

bampilot06 04-22-20 12:36 PM

NBD!
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...38d03b942.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...dc3081a8d.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b4f08e7b6.jpeg

rjones28 04-22-20 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21433167)

Now he tells me...

MoAlpha 04-22-20 12:36 PM

Isn't this just another way of asking how fast the virus evolves?

SMH

No. Coronaviruses mutate relatively slowly for RNA viruses and are not expected to change their antigenic spots on a regular basis, like influenza. The question is whether the virus evokes an antibody response which persists or fades with significantly with time.

MoAlpha 04-22-20 12:37 PM

Welcome to the elite.

WhyFi 04-22-20 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21433284)
NBD!

That looks like approximately 17 miles of seat post. ;)

:bday:

abshipp 04-22-20 12:40 PM

NBD!

Sweet :thumb:

rjones28 04-22-20 12:41 PM

I have run 3 miles once.

Just curious - years ago in college I lived with a runner who also worked at a shoe store, I went in and she watched the way I walked and fitted me to a pair of shoes that supposedly would help with whatever anatomical weirdness was going on in my feet. How necessary is going through something like that for someone who would maybe want to get into trail running? I have zero interest in pounding pavement, but trail/off-road running vaguely interests me. I know that I'm much fussier about my road bike fit than I am with a MTB, is there a parallel there in the running world? Could you get away with a "worse" fitting shoe if the terrain varies a lot more?

Different needs on a trail, akin to differences between road biking and mountain biking.. AFAIK, no need to worry about things like pronation. You're more worried about things like protection from trail features.

bampilot06 04-22-20 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21433297)

That was me just throwing it on, not actually trying to fit it yet.

rjones28 04-22-20 12:43 PM

NBD!

!!!

Heathpack 04-22-20 12:43 PM

1. Maybe, depends on the antigen in the vaccine.
2. Maybe, see above
3. Maybe

Obviously there is much we don’t know. I spoke briefly to our county health commissioner yesterday and asked if there is any sense on how long acquired immunity lasts, and she said they think “months” but we don’t really know.

I got my coronavirus test back today: negative. Woo hoo! I was tested at noon on Monday and the result was in my email inbox at 11:08am. So around a 48hr turn around time for testing. My first elevated temp was around 6am on Monday and I was advised to schedule the test by work around 8:30am (not sure why I did not think of that on my own). So the whole process was super quick and easy. Its possible. I'm not sure how the feds are stopping your county from testing but not my county.

LA County announced yesterday that they are now offering free coronavirus tests to certain non-sick essential personnel- basically people that have lots of contact with others- prison guards, nursing home workers, grocery clerks, etc. Obviously there is limited info obtained from that because you could be negative today and an asymptomatic carrier tomorrow. But its so nice to see them ramping up testing because the more info we have, the better.

MoAlpha 04-22-20 12:43 PM

I have run 3 miles once.

Regardless of surface, if you pronate, you need a shoe with big support on the medial side of the foot because of the risk of harm to your knees. If you don't you'll likely be okay (or not) with anything of reasonable quality that fits.

rjones28 04-22-20 12:44 PM

SMH

I ordered a new pair of trail running shoes today. :o

abshipp 04-22-20 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21433297)

So Canadian, but definitely not French-Canadian ;)