Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Spring Training March 3-10 - the Usual Suspects descend on SoCal (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1288521)

gugie 02-14-24 10:42 AM

Here's the pace: start slow, then taper.

gugie 02-16-24 10:12 AM

For those in SoCal that want to hook up while we're down your way, PM me your contact info.

tmnguuyen 02-16-24 12:13 PM

What’s the deal with Tacos??? When visiting SoCal Vietnamese food should be on the menu. I can suggest a few places in the little Saigon for a get together. I can ‘facilitate’ or help with the orders if you guys are up for it. A good addition to your Monday agenda.

gugie 02-16-24 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by tmnguuyen (Post 23158494)
What’s the deal with Tacos??? When visiting SoCal Vietnamese food should be on the menu. I can suggest a few places in the little Saigon for a get together. I can ‘facilitate’ or help with the orders if you guys are up for it. A good addition to your Monday agenda.

That's the beauty of the harbor pilot, you get local knowledge. Funny thing, when I was a kid we lived on a dairy farm on the corner of Edinger and Euclid, adjacent to what is now One Mile Park. That area is now considered part of Little Saigon, I believe. And that dairy farm is now houses, of course.

It's a bit off of our San Gabriel river trail route, but we'll have the BAT, so it's easy enough to call an audible. That Monday is about 40 miles, and I was thinking about where to stop for lunch, that might be just the ticket.

Send me a PM with contact info and we can make plans.

gugie 02-16-24 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by billytwosheds (Post 23156292)
Would be stoked to ride with ya'll.

The other rides on the continent all look great, but are sort of out of reach.

SoCal is very doable for me with a little planning.

So, you're thinking of joining?

billytwosheds 02-16-24 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 23158573)
So, you're thinking of joining?

Ah, not this time. But I do have a Vitus stashed with family in SoCal. If the usual suspects descend again (next year?), I'll try to make it.

mhespenheide 02-17-24 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by tmnguuyen (Post 23158494)

You should absolutely get Vietnamese! But I can get good or even great Vietnamese here in Seattle (seriously, it's a thing here) and I can't get good Baja-style fish tacos.

tmnguuyen 02-17-24 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by mhespenheide (Post 23159782)
You should absolutely get Vietnamese! But I can get good or even great Vietnamese here in Seattle (seriously, it's a thing here) and I can't get good Baja-style fish tacos.

Yes, I'm sure Seattle offers a great varieties of good authentic ethnic foods, I'm surprised that there are no decent fish tacos with the famous fish market and all. Also, i was thinking of the Oregonians and right coast visitors. I made several trips to Eugene when my son went to grad school there and the Vietnamese food was so sad.

But, if Mexican food you seek, here is a suggestion for the gang to stop by on their way to Carlsbad..

https://www.elcampeoninc.com/

El Campeon Taqueria, 31921 Camino Capistrano #15, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675

San Juan Capistrano has plenty more choices beside this one.

SoCaled 02-20-24 01:53 PM

Looks like you all might be just arriving, but saw this listed today:

encino velodrome swapmeet march 2nd, 2024

Saturday march 2nd 2024
We are back!!!!! Our swap for Saturday march 2nd, 2024

This is a free event for buyers and a great opportunity for you to pick up some amazing deals on road, mountain bike, track, BMX and vintage bicycles, components and gear. It is also a great chance to sell off your old gear as a 10' by 10' (parking space sized) space is only $20 and a 20' by 10' space is only $40. Load in for sellers is from 730am to 8am. All proceeds benefit the Encino Velodrome which is a 501 C3 non profit. No RSVP is required for sellers. . ...just show up and a space will be found for you by the Encino velodrome organizers. Load in is from 7:30am-8am
Encino velodrome is located at 17301 Oxnard street, Encino, CA 91416
More information can be found at Encino Velodrome or search "Encino Velodrome" on Facebook

gugie 02-20-24 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by SoCaled (Post 23162308)
Looks like you all might be just arriving, but saw this listed today:

encino velodrome swapmeet march 2nd, 2024

Saturday march 2nd 2024
We are back!!!!! Our swap for Saturday march 2nd, 2024

This is a free event for buyers and a great opportunity for you to pick up some amazing deals on road, mountain bike, track, BMX and vintage bicycles, components and gear. It is also a great chance to sell off your old gear as a 10' by 10' (parking space sized) space is only $20 and a 20' by 10' space is only $40. Load in for sellers is from 730am to 8am. All proceeds benefit the Encino Velodrome which is a 501 C3 non profit. No RSVP is required for sellers. . ...just show up and a space will be found for you by the Encino velodrome organizers. Load in is from 7:30am-8am
Encino velodrome is located at 17301 Oxnard street, Encino, CA 91416
More information can be found at Encino Velodrome or search "Encino Velodrome" on Facebook

A truly audacious trip would include a drive to the swap meet senza bicicletta buy a bike there, and ride it for the week.

Spaghetti Legs 02-20-24 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 23162350)
A truly audacious trip would include a drive to the swap meet senza bicicletta buy a bike there, and ride it for the week.

OK, I’m thinking…

nlerner 02-20-24 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by Spaghetti Legs (Post 23162694)
OK, I’m thinking…

Don’t forget to then list the bike on San Diego CL and sell it our last day there.

bikingshearer 02-21-24 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by gugie (Post 23162350)

There's "audacious," and then there's "what the hell was I thinking?" Keep in mind that the drive from San Gabriel to the Encino Velodrome, one way, could take anywhere from 40 minutes to a week and a half, depending on traffic. Driving from LAX could be shorter or even longer, depending on how bad traffic on 405 is. (Calling it "the 405" wasn't done in my formative years - it was "405" or "the San Diego Freeway" or occasionally "Interstate 405." "The 405" still sounds wrong to me and I won't say it.:50:) Freeway traffic could be truly awful when I was going to UCLA more than 40 years ago. I have trouble believing it has gotten better.

For a brief moment, I was considering driving down from Berkeley on Saturday, renting a room near the Rose Bowl, meeting up with everyone for the Rose Bowl ride and whatever else on Sunday, and then driving back to Berkeley on Monday. Hey, only seven or so hours each way, depending on food and potty breaks. On further reflection, I don't think I can make it work.:(

rccardr 02-21-24 01:58 PM

Tease.
You will be missed.

nlerner 02-21-24 02:39 PM

Come on, @bikingshearer! Our group includes an engineer, a computer scientist, an English teacher, a human resource professional, an MBA, and an MD: We definitely need an attorney!

panzerwagon 02-21-24 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 23163402)
Come on, @bikingshearer! Our group includes an engineer, a computer scientist, an English teacher, a human resource professional, an MBA, and an MD: We definitely need an attorney!

I’m looking forward to what happens when y’all walk into a bar...

nlerner 02-21-24 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by panzerwagon (Post 23163438)
I’m looking forward to what happens when y’all walk into a bar...

That’s been known to happen.

repechage 02-21-24 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by bikingshearer (Post 23162858)
There's "audacious," and then there's "what the hell was I thinking?" Keep in mind that the drive from San Gabriel to the Encino Velodrome, one way, could take anywhere from 40 minutes to a week and a half, depending on traffic. Driving from LAX could be shorter or even longer, depending on how bad traffic on 405 is. (Calling it "the 405" wasn't done in my formative years - it was "405" or "the San Diego Freeway" or occasionally "Interstate 405." "The 405" still sounds wrong to me and I won't say it.:50:) Freeway traffic could be truly awful when I was going to UCLA more than 40 years ago. I have trouble believing it has gotten better.

For a brief moment, I was considering driving down from Berkeley on Saturday, renting a room near the Rose Bowl, meeting up with everyone for the Rose Bowl ride and whatever else on Sunday, and then driving back to Berkeley on Monday. Hey, only seven or so hours each way, depending on food and potty breaks. On further reflection, I don't think I can make it work.:(

the Interstate 5 / state route 14 interchange has fallen twice already after earthquakes and had to have a bridge rebuilt after a tanker truck caught fire. Just staying clear of the probable catastrophes he is.
East Bay to Pasadena in 7.5 hours, driving a legal speed.
I know that as I have made the San Leandro - Long Beach run in 4.5 hours. Hint, leave at 4am, handbrake as needed stay ticket free.

bikingshearer 02-21-24 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by nlerner (Post 23163402)

The group needs a lawyer about as much as the world needs another Kardashian.

nlerner 02-21-24 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by bikingshearer (Post 23163533)
The group needs a lawyer about as much as the world needs another Kardashian.

You need to re-read your Hunter S. Thompson.

rccardr 02-21-24 07:10 PM

Send lawyers, guns and money.
And some Kool Stop Pads.

jethin 02-21-24 07:38 PM

I can’t make it, but I shared this thread with a friend from the area who may reach out. He rides vintage but hasn’t drank the kool aid yet. Yet…

nlerner 02-27-24 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by jethin (Post 23163632)
I can’t make it, but I shared this thread with a friend from the area who may reach out. He rides vintage but hasn’t drank the kool aid yet. Yet…

Advanced intel indicates that not all riders will be on vintage bikes; however, all riders will be vintage (though not necessarily classic).

roadcrankr 02-27-24 02:41 PM

Hopefully, the weatherman got it wrong, as they predict cold and rainy conditions on the 2nd & 3rd.
When I ride one of my vintage bikes, I avoid even the tiniest puddles.
Might consider tagging along for a spell, if things align with my quirks. lol

nlerner 02-27-24 07:34 PM

This group is all about the quirk.