Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   What do you display on your Garmin during a crit? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1140465)

Ygduf 04-19-18 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by Psimet2001 (Post 20286375)
Elapsed time. That's it. That's all that matters in a crit IMHO.

how much do you race, though?

I like 3s power to know how I feel vs. reality, lap power to get a judge on how other guys (probably) feel, speed for when in a break (after noting pack speed, in general), etc...

I have lately been riding w/o any data showing. my power has generally been more stochastic this way. lower ap, higher np, good high-effort numbers including very nearly 1min all-time on a long concave sprint

Psimet2001 04-27-18 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Ygduf (Post 20294403)
how much do you race, though?

I like 3s power to know how I feel vs. reality, lap power to get a judge on how other guys (probably) feel, speed for when in a break (after noting pack speed, in general), etc...

I have lately been riding w/o any data showing. my power has generally been more stochastic this way. lower ap, higher np, good high-effort numbers including very nearly 1min all-time on a long concave sprint

Like never anymore (except like 2 weeks ago). Then - with power...2-3 times a week.

As you know - you REALLY have to be in tune with your body to be able to ride WITH your numbers and in spite of your numbers. Too many of even our top racers really don't listen fully to their body when they have the numbers in front of them. "This is too much - I shouldn't go with that move.", etc. It seems like never fail - when I get them to put the computer in their pocket or simply display time (elapsed, last lap, current lap) they inevitably produce in a way they didn't think was possible.

With times they can still do splits and see if they are gaining, tell if the speed is picking up or if it's fatigue, etc.

merlinextraligh 04-30-18 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Psimet2001 (Post 20286375)
Elapsed time. That's it. That's all that matters in a crit IMHO.

Agreed. I don't find any power data to be useful to me in a crit during the race. If anything for me looking at power is going to discourage me ( I can't keep this up; I'm already over my head I can't try to go with that move etc.)

Elapsed time has some value because it let's me know when the 5 to go card is coming up, which can have some value in positioning, and deciding on tactics.

BK84 06-28-18 03:57 PM

Elapsed time
speed
HR

i do not have a power meter

gsteinb 06-28-18 05:16 PM

Shrug. I use all the data.

If there's a break I want to gauge my ability to get across and still be able to stay in there when I get there. I also find it to be a good gauge when I get into the sweet part of the race for me (final 15-20 minutes) and gauge how much I've dug into my reserves and how much I have to do something exceedingly hard like a solo, late bridge, break initiative.

cold turtle 06-29-18 03:30 PM

Elapsed time
Speed
3s power
Last lap time
Avg lap time
Last lap power
Avg lap power

mollusk 06-30-18 04:39 PM

I guess that I am too old. Why would anyone want a Garmin on their bike for a crit? Are they worried about getting lost?

Psimet2001 07-07-18 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by mollusk (Post 20421595)
I guess that I am too old. Why would anyone want a Garmin on their bike for a crit? Are they worried about getting lost?

I love this more than you can know.

I will say out at the velodrome they have cracked down on computers saying you're not supposed to be able to see data while racing as it is a rule - so everyone just mounts them on their saddle or seatpost.

I have had it on my son's seatpost and while he never pays attention it helped me decifer what he wanted when he said he wanted a "smaller gear".

"you want to spin faster? have it be easier on the pedals?"

"A smaller gear dad...."

"OH it says here you were spinning at 130 cadence in that last race. you want a bigger gear?"

"DAD! I don't know. A smaller thing gear thing in the back!"

"Ah...got it"

mollusk 07-08-18 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by psimet2001 (Post 20434209)
i love this more than you can know.

I will say out at the velodrome they have cracked down on computers saying you're not supposed to be able to see data while racing as it is a rule - so everyone just mounts them on their saddle or seatpost.

I have had it on my son's seatpost and while he never pays attention it helped me decifer what he wanted when he said he wanted a "smaller gear".

"you want to spin faster? Have it be easier on the pedals?"

"a smaller gear dad...."

"oh it says here you were spinning at 130 cadence in that last race. You want a bigger gear?"

"dad! I don't know. A smaller thing gear thing in the back!"

"ah...got it"

lol.

gl98115 08-02-18 09:40 PM

Strava Live Segments.

TheKillerPenguin 08-03-18 12:04 PM

# of red shells and banana peels left

hubcyclist 08-03-18 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 20486362)
# of red shells and banana peels left

I'd settle for some triple mushrooms

TheKillerPenguin 08-03-18 12:44 PM

Deda makes a carbon fiber based aero red shell with BTE for head unit display count, that is just as potent as a regular one and doesn't weigh you down or anything like that. They're like $69 each though so you need to use them wisely.

colombo357 08-03-18 01:17 PM

pr0n

Creakyknees 08-11-18 01:30 PM

If I remember, I'll wear a wristwatch so I can check the time.

mollusk 08-12-18 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Creakyknees (Post 20500861)
If I remember, I'll wear a wristwatch so I can check the time.

I ruined a number of watch stems from corrosive sweat when training. I never wore a watch when racing.

In fact I haven't worn a watch in years.

BlondeBikerBoy 01-11-19 10:01 AM

I have raced several crits this year as a junior and cat 3. I display time, 3"power, average power, speed, distance (and grade), lap time, and lap number.

I think the most useful information to me is time and lap time. I really don't look at power and I have hidden hr.