Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Classic & Vintage (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=181)
-   -   Mystery bike with cracked head tube (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1263277)

CO_Hoya 11-20-22 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by cudak888 (Post 22713885)
With that countersunk pattern in the lugs and the location of the crack, what about the possibility of it being a novice framebuilder's custom frame? It would explain the crack; they may have cooked the top headlug in the process

Thinking about this, would a novice builder’s bike typically have chromed socks? That seems like an extravagance beyond most new builders’ means. Of course, if this is a forty year old novice build, then perhaps getting the chrome done back then was relatively cheap and easy.

Originally Posted by scarlson (Post 22715951)
The bike is very cool and possibly worth it if you wanted to try your hand. If you were in the area I'd offer. It would be fun. You could also add proper cable and water bottle braze-ons. Put on posts for cantis or centerpulls if you don't like those anemic sidepulls. Get a wet paint job to preserve the chrome socks, maybe with contrasting color in those dots. It would be a bangin ride after all that.

Heh, be careful with such generous offers - I’m often up the road from you in Burlington/Billerica.

But I’m really not planning to acquire this as I’m trying to get away from these sorts of money pit projects.

RandolphCarter 11-21-22 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Schweinhund (Post 22715722)
Oh sure, only bring out half of the holy grail of okie repairs. God of Bailing wire I implore you to strike fear into the hearts of these unbelievers! :popcorn

Slap a band clamp around the head tube and make sure the headset's snugged down.

Then bailing wire.

Then duct tape.

juvela 11-21-22 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by RandolphCarter (Post 22717078)
Slap a band clamp around the head tube and make sure the headset's snugged down.

Then bailing wire.

Then duct tape.

-----

:thumb:

...and lettuce not forget the entreaties to Allah... :lol:

-----

bulgie 11-21-22 03:23 PM

That repair isn't terribly difficult, and the frame looks like it might be worth it.

Duane Draper is a custom framebuilder in Seattle who just recently did a headtube replacement on a bike even cheaper or less worthy than this one. Here's his Flickr album about it.

He's sort of in the middle ground between a hobbyist and a pro. He does sell frames (I think) but it's a part-time gig for him. Still, he does great work, especially his lugless fillet brazed frames. Nice guy too, solid and reliable. Not sure if he has a website; a brief search shows Facebook and Insta but I don't go there. He's on BF as duanedr

I hope to hang out my shingle as a Pro/Hobbyist FB some day, soon I hope, and I'll take in repairs like this, but I'm not ready yet. Once I've built a couple frames for me & Laurie, and done a couple repairs that are in the queue, I'll have work to show. But for now all I have is "My Brilliant Career" from 25+ years ago when I used to be a full-time pro. Let's see if I still remember how!

Mark B

Schweinhund 11-21-22 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by bulgie (Post 22717404)
That repair isn't terribly difficult, and the frame looks like it might be worth it.

Duane Draper is a custom framebuilder in Seattle who just recently did a headtube replacement on a bike even cheaper or less worthy than this one. Here's his Flickr album about it.

Gunnar Caylor replaced a head tube for me once, he added some scrollwork lugs as well. If the frame is worth it it could be repaired. Beautifully.

repechage 11-22-22 06:10 PM

Makes me wonder was the tube just under much trapped stress?
one would have to strip the frame down then review.
be very interested if the top and the lower section of the frame either side of the break is twisted?
that could help guide the repair.
don't want to build that possible twist back in

merziac 11-22-22 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by RandolphCarter (Post 22717078)

Then bailing wire.

Then duct tape.

First JB the band clamp, then secure the ductape with zipties. :D