Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   I don't want an adventure bike. Options? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1096785)

Zurichman2 09-25-17 02:08 AM

Originally Posted by tangerineowl (Post 19883049)
Time to start learning then :)

Look up the Tamland geo chart. Find your size and write down the stack and reach numbers. Keep those in mind when looking at other bikes' geo charts.

Yeah you are somewhat speaking a foreign language to me but I guess I will give it a go. All I know is after yesterday's ride I need a lighter bike. I did the Maple City Century actually I dropped back to the metric ride. It was brutal with lots of climbing and steep hills. My Tamland right now is probably 5 lbs. heavier than my road bike. I walked 5-6 hills and probably have only ever walked 3-5 hills on my road bike since 1992. So yeah the weight of the bike makes a big difference once you get into the nasty climbing stuff.

Zman

mstateglfr 09-25-17 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Zurichman2 (Post 19884868)
Yeah you are somewhat speaking a foreign language to me but I guess I will give it a go. All I know is after yesterday's ride I need a lighter bike. I did the Maple City Century actually I dropped back to the metric ride. It was brutal with lots of climbing and steep hills. My Tamland right now is probably 5 lbs. heavier than my road bike. I walked 5-6 hills and probably have only ever walked 3-5 hills on my road bike since 1992. So yeah the weight of the bike makes a big difference once you get into the nasty climbing stuff.

Any consideration on a lighter wheelset, seatpost, and stem? If you could drop a couple pounds this way, that could be a cheaper option since you like the frame, drivetrain, and geometry so much.

Another option could be a Praxis Zayante or their other crankset. Its a 48/32 setup which would allow for a little easier time getting up hills since it would be 32/36 as the easy gear.

Remove the tires from your current wheelset and measure both wheels. Toss the weights up online for a couple reasons- 1- help others know what they weigh for future questions. 2- figure out what it'd cost to get lighter wheels that are light enough to make a noticable difference.

shoota 09-25-17 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by tangerineowl (Post 19883049)
Time to start learning then :)

Look up the Tamland geo chart. Find your size and write down the stack and reach numbers. Keep those in mind when looking at other bikes' geo charts.

Totally agree.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 19885301)
Any consideration on a lighter wheelset, seatpost, and stem? If you could drop a couple pounds this way, that could be a cheaper option since you like the frame, drivetrain, and geometry so much.

Another option could be a Praxis Zayante or their other crankset. Its a 48/32 setup which would allow for a little easier time getting up hills since it would be 32/36 as the easy gear.

Remove the tires from your current wheelset and measure both wheels. Toss the weights up online for a couple reasons- 1- help others know what they weigh for future questions. 2- figure out what it'd cost to get lighter wheels that are light enough to make a noticable difference.

If he's using the stock wheelset they weigh ~2129g. American Classic Race weigh ~1500g for $899.

TimothyH 09-25-17 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by shoota (Post 19886316)
Totally agree.

If he's using the stock wheelset they weigh ~2129g. American Classic Race weigh ~1500g for $899.

Price went down to $749.
I almost bought a second pair when they had an additional 10% off sale.

-Tim-

Barrettscv 03-23-18 03:24 PM

I just rode my Canyon Endurace SL 7.0. It will make an ideal lightweight & stiff disc brake sport bike. The stock tires are 700x28 Continental 4000 S II. These measure 31.5mm wide on the stock rims. The bike has enough clearance for most 700x32 gravel or Cyclocross tires. I was able to fit the 700x35 Clement USH on the bike, this tire measures 34.3mm wide.

I'll keep my Raleigh Roker for deeper or more technical gravel. However, the Canyon Endurace will make an awesome 50/50 pavement/gravel bike when a 32mm is wide enough.

Metieval 03-23-18 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by Barrettscv (Post 20241742)
I just rode my Canyon Endurace SL 7.0. It will make an ideal lightweight & stiff disc brake sport bike. The stock tires are 700x28 Continental 4000 S II. These measure 31.5mm wide on the stock rims. The bike has enough clearance for most 700x32 gravel or Cyclocross tires.

I'll keep my Raleigh Roker for deeper or more technical gravel. However, the Canyon Endurace will make an awesome 50/50 pavement/gravel bike when a 32mm is wide enough.

I have a 19.5 mile loop.....

I recently swapped tires, so last Sunday was 52 seconds faster on 700x38 Panarcaer pasela PT's than the previous weeks ride on 700x28 GP400s II tires. Near identical weather :lol:

I guess I am voting for the WIDE tire ride, unless it's a race.

Barrettscv 03-23-18 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Metieval (Post 20241951)
I have a 19.5 mile loop.....

I recently swapped tires, so last Sunday was 52 seconds slower on 700x38 Panarcaer pasela PT's than the previous weeks ride on 700x28 GP400s II tires. Near identical weather :lol:

I guess I am voting for the WIDE tire ride, unless it's a race.

Were both at a 12 mph pace :roflmao2:

Metieval 03-23-18 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Barrettscv (Post 20242097)
Were both at a 12 mph pace :roflmao2:

funny enough, the faster ride was on the 700x38 15.4 mph average

since I went looking for the average speed. I'll edit my post to be accurate:thumb: