Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Hybrid Bicycles (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=290)
-   -   2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1033093)

roguewave 10-04-15 05:48 AM

2016 Giant ToughRoad SLR2

I bought one of these last month and thought I'd give it a limited review ( at the prompting of a couple members). By limited I mean I'm not a bikesman with extensive knowledge.
I bought the bike because I saw one in person at the Boston Giant company store and really liked it.
After riding it for a couple of weeks, I love it. Can't tell you why I love it, but it just works well for me, 6ft 210 lbs, size large. I ride 6 to 13 miles 4-5 times a week on rough asphalt and sometimes gravel roads at a full tilt pace. The brakes are outstanding and it shifts flawlessly thru all the gears although I am usually in the higest 2-3 gears. Any questions, ask away
Rob

***I'll try and get a few pictures posted with this new phone

NormanF 10-04-15 06:06 AM

29ers make good bikes. Most of them are mountain bikes, which limits their usefulness for most riding situations.

The Marin Muirwoods is an urban 29er. Giant's ToughRoad SLR is another bike in this mold.

They can go from city streets to fire roads and gravel trails.

Congratulations on your new acquisition.

roguewave 10-04-15 07:03 AM

http://s5.postimg.org/5m4ouauwj/image.jpg http://s5.postimg.org/vgehk2uwj/image.jpg http://s5.postimg.org/w4nc30tmb/image.jpg

McSpazatron 10-04-15 09:27 AM

Awesome bike. Wish this bike was out when I bought my Specialized Crosstrail. Please post updates as you put on more miles.

manc 10-05-15 02:11 AM

Great bike, the Toughroad will get a lot of interest.
What is the weight of this bike?

gilpi 10-05-15 04:13 AM

Very nice bike! I really like the rigid fork for this type of bike. I recently bought a Cannondale Trail 7 which is meant for gravel and some light duty trails but I wish it would have came with a rigid fork as yours and those tires are very nice as well.
Though your bike is in a higher quality/price bracket, had I seen it when I was shopping for one, I would have been sold. Congratulations on your purchase!

roguewave 10-05-15 06:16 AM

The cost was about $900 and change out the door. Weight is about 28lbs I think? we live on a boat for summer so no scale to weigh.

***sorry bout the fly reel in pics

usedbutnotup 10-05-15 09:40 AM

I want to trade-up to one of these or a Kona Big Rove Al, but can find neither locally. Not yet at least. That's a beautiful bike. Best of luck with it.

side_FX 10-16-15 06:21 PM

Love the whole concept of this bike. I hope the sales take off and maybe Trek and Specialized will get the hint and make a decent spec, non suspended fork for the DS/Crosstrail series....or flat bar 920 disc or AWOL?

Doctor Morbius 10-16-15 10:15 PM

That's a great looking bike. Congrats! :thumb:

I really like some of Giant's offerings ... Toughroad, Anyroad, Fastroad and Defy. All are very nice.

http://www.cycle-eirin.com/wordpress...9/P9080409.jpg

http://livedoor.blogimg.jp/sbcbicycl...5/055b5502.jpg

ColdCase 10-17-15 06:58 AM

Nice bikes, too bad none of the LBS around here stock them.

FrozenBiker 10-18-15 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ColdCase (Post 18248845)
Nice bikes, too bad none of the LBS around here stock them.

Are you close to Boston? They have a Toughroad SLR 1 (med), and Toughroad SLR 2 (lrg) in stock.

ColdCase 10-18-15 08:33 PM

Boston is a 50 mile hike, and I'm on the small frame side. I haven't been impressed with Giant's Boston company store. Maybe I just caught them at a bad time, but there was virtually no stock of bikes I was interested in looking at a few months ago. You would think a company store would have a broader selection.

roguewave 10-20-15 09:49 AM

When I got mine the Boston store was going thru management change.

JES600 10-29-15 02:50 AM

First post. Thanks for the review and pics roguewave. Very helpful. I looked at one of these yesterday that the LBS just assembled. Impressive. I like the lighter weight relative to the Roam 1 I was almost dead set on purchasing. And especially relative to my last bike, a '95 steel sporting goods store special MTB.

Question. How do you like the stock saddle? I'm debating keeping it and trying it for a while, or taking advantage of the accessory discount offered with a new bike purchase and getting a somewhat more cushy one.

Thanks again for the review. :)

gsa103 11-04-15 11:22 AM

Thanks for the review and comments. My LBS had a Toughroad SLR 2 that I could test. I was very impressed, but they're having trouble locating the correct size (L) :/.

They can get an SLR 1, but I'm having a hard time justifying the premium considering its the same frame, fork and wheels...

cs1 11-04-15 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by gsa103 (Post 18293893)
Thanks for the review and comments. My LBS had a Toughroad SLR 2 that I could test. I was very impressed, but they're having trouble locating the correct size (L) :/.

They can get an SLR 1, but I'm having a hard time justifying the premium considering its the same frame, fork and wheels...

The group is an upgrade. How much do you think the racks add?

gsa103 11-04-15 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by cs1 (Post 18294799)
The group is an upgrade. How much do you think the racks add?

I suspect Giant is charging about $100 for the racks, but I can buy a decent rear rack for $30, so I'll probably go that route. Besides all my other bikes run Shimano stuff, so I'd prefer to stick with that for parts interchangeability.

The shop called today and said 2-3 weeks for an SLR 2, so I've put one on order. Looking forward to getting it, it'll be really nice to have an awesome commuter/errand bike.

cs1 11-05-15 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by gsa103 (Post 18295516)
I suspect Giant is charging about $100 for the racks, but I can buy a decent rear rack for $30, so I'll probably go that route. Besides all my other bikes run Shimano stuff, so I'd prefer to stick with that for parts interchangeability.

The shop called today and said 2-3 weeks for an SLR 2, so I've put one on order. Looking forward to getting it, it'll be really nice to have an awesome commuter/errand bike.

Agreed @gsa103 I would have done the same thing.

JES600 11-05-15 06:16 AM

My LBS had a large over the weekend and it was obviously too big, so they were able to assemble a medium for me to try on Monday night and Tuesday I took it home. Took a five-mile ride and was very impressed with the bike. The ride was flat and mostly road with about 1/2 mile of grass and dirt. The choice of gearing was nice and everything worked well together. I like this bike.

Here's the link to Giant's racks with retail prices:
Racks - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States

roguewave 11-05-15 07:12 AM

sorry, been busy back home here in Texas. I tried to buy another one in Austin last week, I left the one I bought in Boston on the boat so I have something to ride while up there in Portland. Like to buy another to keep here, thats how much I dig it. None available for now, so I'll have to order one and wait, man I hate waiting :notamused:

roguewave 11-05-15 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by JES600 (Post 18278553)
First post. Thanks for the review and pics roguewave. Very helpful. I looked at one of these yesterday that the LBS just assembled. Impressive. I like the lighter weight relative to the Roam 1 I was almost dead set on purchasing. And especially relative to my last bike, a '95 steel sporting goods store special MTB.

Question. How do you like the stock saddle? I'm debating keeping it and trying it for a while, or taking advantage of the accessory discount offered with a new bike purchase and getting a somewhat more cushy one.

Thanks again for the review. :)

stock saddle is not the most comfy but its fine for me, I've gotten used to it.

JES600 11-05-15 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by roguewave (Post 18295897)
stock saddle is not the most comfy but its fine for me, I've gotten used to it.

I decided to swap it out at purchase. It just didn't meld right with my butt.

FrozenBiker 11-06-15 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by JES600 (Post 18295794)
My LBS had a large over the weekend and it was obviously too big, so they were able to assemble a medium for me to try on Monday night and Tuesday I took it home. Took a five-mile ride and was very impressed with the bike. The ride was flat and mostly road with about 1/2 mile of grass and dirt. The choice of gearing was nice and everything worked well together. I like this bike.

Here's the link to Giant's racks with retail prices:
Racks - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States

Congrats on your bike! Hey - I'd like to know if your bike, being a medium-size has dual water bottle mounts?

Doctor Morbius 11-06-15 02:47 PM

This afternoon and friend of mine and I went to an LBS that is a Giant, Felt, Surly, Salsa dealer. They had a 2016 Toughroad SLR 2 on the floor in my size (medium). If I had the cash I would have bought it on the spot! I liked it even better than the '16 Anyroad 1, even though it sported the new version of Tiagra.

Now I need to figure out how I can get the Do-Re-Mi to buy one of these bad boys. Unfortunately, I have a lot of bills hitting all at once (home owner's ins, car ins, property taxes, auto repair). It sucks not being a 1-percenter!