Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Velo Vol 06-01-20 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21509323)
all done for now. Still has one more slide but that takes another 3 hours and I want to ride my bike.

Kudos. You're way ahead of my progress on the saddle installation project.

I stopped by the bike store to make sure I was ordering the right clamp. I think the guy remembered my name/bike, which is impressive since I've averaged going there less than once a year.

As far as I could tell, they're not having customers inside the store. Employees come to the front door to assist. That can't be great for sales.

noodle soup 06-01-20 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21509502)
Hopefully not Jenson. They usually seem to get stuff boxed up in no time.

I would have purchased from Jenson, but it was $105 less at BikeBling.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1f762f31_o.jpg

LesterOfPuppets 06-01-20 01:08 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21509520)
I would have purchased from Jenson, but it was $105 less at BikeBling.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...1f762f31_o.jpg

Oh yes, the bike bling was slow the one time I ordered there, but worth it for that deal.

noodle soup 06-01-20 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21509507)

I stopped by the bike store to make sure I was ordering the right clamp. I think the guy remembered my name/bike, which is impressive since I've averaged going there less than once a year.

As far as I could tell, they're not having customers inside the store. Employees come to the front door to assist. That can't be great for sales.

Did they have any bikes in stock? Most AZ bike shops have a very sparse selection.

noodle soup 06-01-20 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21509523)
Oh yes, the bike bling was slow the one time I ordered there, but worth it for that deal.

I got my bike fairly quickly.(4 business days), and at 10% off retail.

WhyFi 06-01-20 01:21 PM

A lot of shops in my area are doing the same thing. I'd be interested to see what the numbers look like. I'm sure that it dissuades a lot of foot traffic that would otherwise browse, but I'd be surprised if $/customer wasn't higher - there's just more of a you're-on-the-clock, is-that-your-final-answer? nature about it.

Velo Vol 06-01-20 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21509530)
Did they have any bikes in stock? Most AZ bike shops have a very sparse selection.

I didn't go right up to the windows and scan the store, but one corner I could see from where I stood it looked like there was only one bike were several might have been if it was fully stocked.

LAJ 06-01-20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21509552)
A lot of shops in my area are doing the same thing. I'd be interested to see what the numbers look like. I'm sure that it dissuades a lot of foot traffic that would otherwise browse, but I'd be surprised if $/customer wasn't higher - there's just more of a you're-on-the-clock, is-that-your-final-answer? nature about it.

I ordered an outer chainring from Planet Cyclery, and figured since it's only 10-15 minutes away by bike, I could complete a workout, and pick it up. Save them some shipping dollars, etc. I get there, and it's one person in the store at a time, with 3 people ahead of me. I have now taken to stuffing a mask in my jersey, but at that time, I didn't have one, so I doubted I could even get in if I wanted to. After about 10 minutes, a guy comes out, asks what we all need, and after getting my info, comes back out with my goody. I think I'll just have Excel ship my stuff, unless they don't have it, which was the case here. Since it's a pita to go in Planet Cyclery, I'll have them ship it too. Seems odd, but it's the way it is now.

Velo Vol 06-01-20 01:47 PM

It works for people who know what they need/want. But for newbs? Not great. One of the main reasons to go to a store rather than website is to see the stuff.

WhyFi 06-01-20 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21509630)
It works for people who know what they need/want. But for newbs? Not great. One of the main reasons to go to a store rather than website is to see the stuff.

Yup. We had to get a new helmet for my wife, who hadn't ridden her bike in 4 years or so, and she wanted to be able to see the selection, so that pretty much limited us to one of the regional chains.

Although, I will say that meeting someone at the door would force salespeople to ask more/better questions and then listen a little more intently. Certainly not a bad thing.

noodle soup 06-01-20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21509630)
It works for people who know what they need/want. But for newbs? Not great.

Not great for newbs, but they don't usually spend nearly as much money.

seedsbelize 06-01-20 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21509113)
We have had four heavy rains in the last four days. Today it began sround 8 and appears it might stck around for the day. Temperature dropping as well. Threatening to break 70A on the down side

The rain just stopped. Might be just a breather though.

seedsbelize 06-01-20 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by noodle soup (Post 21509480)
New Shoe Day. 7 days for shipping from Italy. I bought a helmet the same day from a shop in California, and it still hasn't shipped.

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...175227fa_o.jpg

Soccer? Baseball?

seedsbelize 06-01-20 02:48 PM

I just discovered, yesterday during my walk, that my lbs, which appears to be closed, has a doorbell for access. I bought a couple tubes, a pair of grip shifters for a bike I want to sell, and a combo bb tool/ chainwhip. The chainwhip just because.

indyfabz 06-01-20 02:59 PM

Curfew again at 6. Another protest march has gone onto nearby I-676. I love the sound of news helicopters in the evening.

Velo Vol 06-01-20 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21509798)
The chainwhip just because.

No explanation needed.

BillyD 06-01-20 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21509310)
From Georgia-Mae's breeder, so I'll be Wichita-bound on the 28th. We're not getting any younger, but I think we can go the puppy route one more time.

If I had it to do all over again I'd find another rescue dog. My pup now having just reached 14 months, I can sympathetically say I feel the pain you're about to go through. It's like having a baby except it's mobile from day one. There's a good reason having children is for the young. One day I'll tell you about the day my pup almost got sent back. :lol: :( :(

Good luck!

bampilot06 06-01-20 04:05 PM

how many mice cycle?

Bah Humbug 06-01-20 04:10 PM

I remember, as a kid, being told about "may you live in interesting times". Man I long for a good boring decade.

LAJ 06-01-20 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21509889)
If I had it to do all over again I'd find another rescue dog. My pup now having just reached 14 months, I can sympathetically say I feel the pain you're about to go through. It's like having a baby except it's mobile from day one. There's a good reason having children is for the young. One day I'll tell you about the day my pup almost got sent back. :lol: :( :(

Good luck!

Funny :)

Yep. There's energy, the patience, and all of that involved. Plus, we don't ever want our girls to outlive us. Though, we have been assured people would have no trouble bring them into their homes. Gotta be real, though.

LAJ 06-01-20 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21509944)
I remember, as a kid, being told about "may you live in interesting times". Man I long for a good boring decade.

No doubt.

Heathpack 06-01-20 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by BillyD (Post 21509889)

Good luck!

We got our two current dogs from the breeder at around 5 months of age. Young enough to still be cute and puppylike but not entirely clueless. 90% housebroken, crate trained, know how to walk on a leash and sit, basic manners in place. Its been kind of a nice way to do it, even if you miss that bitterly cute baby puppy phase.

seedsbelize 06-01-20 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21509934)
how many mice cycle?

Generally speaking, they tend to use those little wheels they run inside of.

Trsnrtr 06-01-20 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21509069)
Kudos.

I wonder if, in the case of a tie, the premium member gets the win??

Oh, a perk! :thumb:

BTW, the leaderboard looks good, today. Then again, it’s only Monday. :rolleyes:

Bah Humbug 06-01-20 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21510013)
Oh, a perk! :thumb:

Leave no doubt.