Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

seedsbelize 07-19-20 07:05 AM

Leaving shortly for day two in a row. Then back to lockdown for a yet to be determined period, so says yesterday's paper. Interesting times.

MoAlpha 07-19-20 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21594815)
A sour is a type of beer, very tart. They're often flavored with various fruits.

Strictly for the post-boomer crowd.

Trsnrtr 07-19-20 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21595177)
Yeah, it takes some practice and that still doesn't eliminate tweaking. In general, I prefer to adjust tamp pressure (within a reasonable range) before I adjust grind... kind of like relying mostly on RD shifting and only using the FD when it's really necessary. :lol:

I tried increasing tamp first but no go. In fact, I generally use a combo distributor/tamper and yesterday, I used it plus a preset tamper and it still wasn't enough. Anyway, by the time I got it dialed in, I was so wired that I couldn't hardly function. :lol:

MoAlpha 07-19-20 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21595093)
News Flash: zero percent chance datlas will get a TT bike.

I’d have to sell the cross-gravel-commuter for space and drive 20 mi to find 5 mi of suitable road to work put on, so I think I can say the same.

MoAlpha 07-19-20 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21595098)
We gave our old toaster oven to daughter #1 when she moved out a few moths ago, and recently mrs datlas has been shopping online for a new one.

She finally ordered some fancy schmancy Cuisinart one that is advertised as an “air fryer” and that sounds like marketing BS, anyone know wtf an air fryer is or does?

It’s for making fried air. Next question...

Velo Vol 07-19-20 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21595131)
guilty

If you go down river it shouldn't count--no effort.

Velo Vol 07-19-20 08:19 AM

Ride Report

--hit the roads at an ungodly hour

--disoriented by the lack of traffic

--a deer bolted across the road in front of me in the wilds of NW Knox County

--on the way back I see a sign that says "Road Closed Ahead: Bridge Out"

wut

Being more resourceful than WhyFi, I proceed past the sign to see if the bridge is actually "out"--i.e, no longer there. It is not. I walk around the barriers, over the out/not out bridge, (at some cost to my average speed) and continue on my merry way

--my knee that I was worried about the past week wasn't too bad

--consumed no food, four cups of water pre-ride, two more post-ride

The End.

MoAlpha 07-19-20 08:25 AM

No ride today. 62 mi in the heat yesterday with Z2 power and Z3-4 HR for the last third. This a.m., bad HRV and HR numbers, mouth sores, HSV attack hanging on, too-deep sleep last night. Overdoing it. :( :50:

datlas 07-19-20 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21595094)
Heat/humidity even worse today. Plan is to be home before 10:30.

Success. 204.

LesterOfPuppets 07-19-20 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21595093)
News Flash: zero percent chance datlas will get a TT bike.

Sometimes I'm tempted by C&V tri bikes.

There was a beautiful purple steel QR up on CL for $200 recently.

LesterOfPuppets 07-19-20 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21595284)
No ride today. 62 mi in the heat yesterday with Z2 power and Z3-4 HR for the last third. This a.m., bad HRV and HR numbers, mouth sores, HSV attack hanging on, too-deep sleep last night. Overdoing it. :( :50:

Wait a minute, too deep of a sleep can be a sign of trouble? I thought maximum deep sleep was the goal.

Velo Vol 07-19-20 08:42 AM

Discussed earlier

--they force people to have IVs?
--virtual qualifying races?

wut

bampilot06 07-19-20 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21595278)
Ride Report

--hit the roads at an ungodly hour

--disoriented by the lack of traffic

--a deer bolted across the road in front of me in the wilds of NW Knox County

--on the way back I see a sign that says "Road Closed Ahead: Bridge Out"

wut

Being more resourceful than WhyFi, I proceed past the sign to see if the bridge is actually "out"--i.e, no longer there. It is not. I walk around the barriers, over the out/not out bridge, (at some cost to my average speed) and continue on my merry way

--my knee that I was worried about the past week wasn't too bad

--consumed no food, four cups of water pre-ride, two more post-ride

The End.

why was the bridge closed?

bampilot06 07-19-20 08:47 AM

when I over do it, I get the opposite. Restless legs kick in, and I can’t sleep. Hope you feel better.

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21595134)
Yep. We have a tri team that practices their cycling not far from us and often you can see a cyclist coming from a long way off with their knees/legs going up and down in a "V." I always assumed that they need either a bike fit, lose some belly fat, or both.

Or in my case, buying a 56 P3 because you took a 56 S1, and riding the thing with a tiny stem and no seatpost height because it's like riding an elephant. There are not many good TT fitters out there, and then you have to commit to the aero position. Trying to be able to ride the brake levers like an endurance road bike puts everything out of whack, and then you're not comfortable in aero so you don't.

But when it's right...

Velo Vol 07-19-20 08:54 AM

A virus acting up is a sign of overdoing it?

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21595318)
why was the bridge closed?

I don't know. It appeared a tree had recently fallen across the road, but that had already been cut and cleaned up. Either they had simply not picked up the closure blockades yet or maybe it was in the process of being structurally examined? It's a small bridge.

datlas 07-19-20 08:55 AM

Hey WhyFi are your fellow Minnesotans such prudes that they are uptight about people going bare at a secluded beach?? Looks like a waste of police time and money.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/19/us/dr...rnd/index.html

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 08:57 AM

I'm just feeling the vodka-pom I had yesterday. RHR was up, cotton mouth. Still knocked out 100TSS in good coolish conditions.

MUP was a disaster though with cooler weather; two big pelotons and what appeared to be a father-son pair who refused to go single file to let people past.

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21595346)
Hey WhyFi are your fellow Minnesotans such prudes that they are uptight about people going bare at a secluded beach?? Looks like a waste of police time and money.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/19/us/dr...rnd/index.html

The sooner we throw off this Puritan bull****, the better.

MoAlpha 07-19-20 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21595343)
A virus acting up is a sign of overdoing it?

Yes indeed. Weakened immunity.

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21595303)
Wait a minute, too deep of a sleep can be a sign of trouble? I thought maximum deep sleep was the goal.

Yes it is, but sleeping deeper than usual says to me I'm beat.

datlas 07-19-20 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21595126)
Make it a short ride, mmm'kay? :D

It was reasonably short. The podium is within your reach.

datlas 07-19-20 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21595360)
The sooner we throw off this Puritan bull****, the better.

Agree. But it’s part of ‘merican culture so may be with us for the duration.

Velo Vol 07-19-20 09:20 AM

I don't know, if you're needing drones to spot the naked people, maybe just let it slide. #P&R

Bah Humbug 07-19-20 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21595378)
Agree. But it’s part of ‘merican culture so may be with us for the duration.

I keep looking up but there's still no meteor.

Velo Vol 07-19-20 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21595369)
Yes indeed. Weakened immunity.

Every now and then I watch a video on YouTube trying to figure out how the immune system works, and invariably it's a fail. Sad.