Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

Trsnrtr 07-21-20 02:41 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21599666)

I wondered who made those receipts for CVS.

Trsnrtr 07-21-20 02:49 PM

I found out today that Facebook is good for something. I sold my gravel bike in less than two hours from posting to delivery. :thumb:

#N-1

Velo Vol 07-21-20 03:09 PM


Originally Posted by big john (Post 21599662)
There is a 4000 foot tall hill behind the house. I guess technically we live on the upslope to the hill. There is a road to the top which is closed to cars and people walk and bike on it

How long is the car-free road?

Originally Posted by SwtBadger (Post 21599747)
And what of Flugelhorns and playing in a large instrumental band:innocent:.

No one plays the flugelhorn in the band. #NerdFree

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21599756)
Lazy co-worker.

He must not be in the hot zone.

LAJ 07-21-20 03:30 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21599751)
"A lot" is a funny term. I haven't gone past The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in the Legendarium, but I do think of them a great deal. I read A Song of Ice and Fire fully (such as it is now, anyway), twice. Other than that though, no such fantasy - lots of Middle Eastern history a decade ago, the Bourne series a few times, most of the pulpy Wingman series, and now I'm tackling It (since I constantly mock the current notion that clowns are scary). And some other randomness - Red Eagles about the research on captured Soviet fighter planes during the Cold War, the first few Clan of the Cave Bear books, some other stuff.

When you're done with It, perhaps the Dark Tower series may be on your list. Perhaps The Talisman.

LAJ 07-21-20 03:31 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21599781)
I found out today that Facebook is good for something. I sold my gravel bike in less than two hours from posting to delivery. :thumb:

#N-1

Nice. Bike shortage, you know.

MoAlpha 07-21-20 03:33 PM

Nerd:


https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...7e992a2e03.png

WhyFi 07-21-20 04:03 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21599751)
"A lot" is a funny term. I haven't gone past The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings in the Legendarium, but I do think of them a great deal. I read A Song of Ice and Fire fully (such as it is now, anyway), twice. Other than that though, no such fantasy - lots of Middle Eastern history a decade ago, the Bourne series a few times, most of the pulpy Wingman series, and now I'm tackling It (since I constantly mock the current notion that clowns are scary). And some other randomness - Red Eagles about the research on captured Soviet fighter planes during the Cold War, the first few Clan of the Cave Bear books, some other stuff.

If you want another great and frustratingly as yet unfinished fantasy, check out the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. He and GRRM both published their most recent installment in 2011, though the next should be the last for Kingkiller.

Another fun fantasy author, and one that can churn out (good) books, is Joe Abercrombie. Start with the First Law trilogy.

In sci-fi, my favorite is Iain M Banks (RIP :(). Just started rereading some of his Culture books, since there are no more forthcoming.

Bah Humbug 07-21-20 04:19 PM

You know what's funny, speaking of unfinished? I'm surprised no one has made a GOT-esque adaptation of Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It's both finished and public domain, and would make quite a series.

gnome 07-21-20 04:23 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21599781)
I found out today that Facebook is good for something. I sold my gravel bike in less than two hours from posting to delivery. :thumb:

#N-1

You're doing it wrong. It is supposed to be N+1

seedsbelize 07-21-20 04:47 PM


Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21599874)
When you're done with It, perhaps the Dark Tower series may be on your list. Perhaps The Talisman.

I'm part way through The Dark Tower, some of it in print and some in audio format. It's been awhile since I've dabbled, but I believe my next installment will be print.

seedsbelize 07-21-20 04:49 PM

I have in my life spent zero time poring over spreadsheets. And I last played trumpet in high school. It seems I am not a nerd. A fred, yes.

Trsnrtr 07-21-20 04:51 PM


Originally Posted by gnome (Post 21599955)
You're doing it wrong. It is supposed to be N+1

I spent my first 37 cycling years of N+1 but have now reached a point where N-1 is more prudent. My wife is scared that she is going to be left with a mess of old parts and bikes some day. :lol:

Seriously, over the last couple years, I've managed to reduce my garage to just two uprights, a tandem, and a trike. Sadly, I think the tandem will go next. :(

abshipp 07-21-20 04:57 PM

Question for the nerds:

I just tried a max heart rate test on my trainer, I tried test #2 here.

My high score today was 185, and I was feeling a little queasy and light headed afterwards, which lasted a minute or so while I was cooling down.

I know I've seen higher out on the bike, at least 187 and on a hot day I've seen low 190s before. Any value in adding a couple BPM for a wuss factor from being on the trainer and not pushing as hard as I theoretically could have physically? Or should I just run what I brung and try it again sometime to see if I can verify the results?

Looking around it seems like the 185-187 value would put my Z2 range from around 150-165, which is what I've found works fairly well for longer rides, so I'm glad to see that correlation. Whether I'm just finding the data that I want to see I'm not sure, I saw another calculator that put the top of Z2 for me at 140. That seems way too low from my experience, but what do I know?

seedsbelize 07-21-20 05:09 PM


Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21600007)
I spent my first 37 cycling years of N+1 but have now reached a point where N-1 is more prudent. My wife is scared that she is going to be left with a mess of old parts and bikes some day. :lol:

Seriously, over the last couple years, I've managed to reduce my garage to just two uprights, a tandem, and a trike. Sadly, I think the tandem will go next. :(

And I'm right behind. One bike is gone, and three are reduced to framesets. One of the still complete bikes is promised to a man in Nebraska (as a frameset). I will soon have just two riders, one town bike, and one coupled bike. One of those riders is earmarked for Bob, every time he visits. I'm right behind in age too. I just turned 68. Catching up.

Bah Humbug 07-21-20 05:11 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21600016)
Question for the nerds:

I just tried a max heart rate test on my trainer, I tried test #2 here.

My high score today was 185, and I was feeling a little queasy and light headed afterwards, which lasted a minute or so while I was cooling down.

I know I've seen higher out on the bike, at least 187 and on a hot day I've seen low 190s before. Any value in adding a couple BPM for a wuss factor from being on the trainer and not pushing as hard as I theoretically could have physically? Or should I just run what I brung and try it again sometime to see if I can verify the results?

Looking around it seems like the 185-187 value would put my Z2 range from around 150-165, which is what I've found works fairly well for longer rides, so I'm glad to see that correlation. Whether I'm just finding the data that I want to see I'm not sure, I saw another calculator that put the top of Z2 for me at 140. That seems way too low from my experience, but what do I know?

Are you using the zones for indoors or outdoors? The Twitcherati will have separate zones set for each, because they are (or can be) different. I'm too lazy for that.

Also, if you want real data from it, you should consider testing for different zones individually. My HR jumps high and then plateaus, so my low zones are always higher than calculated (and I can't stay in them without doing effectively nothing). Above Z3 it gets more normal.

phrantic09 07-21-20 05:19 PM


Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21599928)
If you want another great and frustratingly as yet unfinished fantasy, check out the Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. He and GRRM both published their most recent installment in 2011, though the next should be the last for Kingkiller.

Another fun fantasy author, and one that can churn out (good) books, is Joe Abercrombie. Start with the First Law trilogy.

In sci-fi, my favorite is Iain M Banks (RIP :(). Just started rereading some of his Culture books, since there are no more forthcoming.

Kingkiller is great, except he’s never going to finish it :(, First law is really good too.

Malazan Book of the Fallen is a good series if you’ve got 125k pages worth of time. Erickson’s world building and history is phenomenal.

big john 07-21-20 05:20 PM


Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21599830)
How long is the car-free road?.

The paved section is 5 miles, all steep with a few small dirt sections. Easy to climb on a road bike but hard to descend because it's steep, twisty and bumpy and people walk on the lower part.
On top of the ridge you can go 2 miles east on dirt and it goes to a fire station/lookout with helipads and once there, you can connect to roads going all over the hills. Lots of cyclists ride these roads and they are open to traffic.
Today I went on the dirt going east and there are roads and trails but I wouldn't take a road bike that way. There are no cars anywhere going that way.

phrantic09 07-21-20 05:22 PM

By the way... contract is signed. We should be closing between 8/22-28

genejockey 07-21-20 05:43 PM


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21599881)

Hey, I could post something similar, but most of them would probably be other D Smiths.

big john 07-21-20 05:52 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21600064)
By the way... contract is signed. We should be closing between 8/22-28

What a relief! You guys must be super excited.

MoAlpha 07-21-20 05:56 PM


Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21600016)
Question for the nerds:

I just tried a max heart rate test on my trainer, I tried test #2 here.

My high score today was 185, and I was feeling a little queasy and light headed afterwards, which lasted a minute or so while I was cooling down.

I know I've seen higher out on the bike, at least 187 and on a hot day I've seen low 190s before. Any value in adding a couple BPM for a wuss factor from being on the trainer and not pushing as hard as I theoretically could have physically? Or should I just run what I brung and try it again sometime to see if I can verify the results?

Looking around it seems like the 185-187 value would put my Z2 range from around 150-165, which is what I've found works fairly well for longer rides, so I'm glad to see that correlation. Whether I'm just finding the data that I want to see I'm not sure, I saw another calculator that put the top of Z2 for me at 140. That seems way too low from my experience, but what do I know?

140 looks reasonable; 150 seems too high. Better to use a calculator that you seed with threshold HR instead of max. Of course, your HR/power will increase during any long ride, especially in the heat.

WhyFi 07-21-20 06:07 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21600050)
Malazan Book of the Fallen is a good series if you’ve got 125k pages worth of time. Erickson’s world building and history is phenomenal.

I've stayed away from Erikson because I just can't make that big of a commitment. Someday. Maybe.

abshipp 07-21-20 06:15 PM


Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21600038)
Are you using the zones for indoors or outdoors? The Twitcherati will have separate zones set for each, because they are (or can be) different. I'm too lazy for that.

Also, if you want real data from it, you should consider testing for different zones individually. My HR jumps high and then plateaus, so my low zones are always higher than calculated (and I can't stay in them without doing effectively nothing). Above Z3 it gets more normal.

Outdoors, likely. The trainer sucks.

Pretty much all of my miles are junk miles, but I'm really looking to make some lifestyle changes and drop a decent amount of weight so even "a training plan" that's not exactly spot on is probably better than what I do now. Which is really JRA for various lengths of time.


Originally Posted by MoAlpha (Post 21600127)
140 looks closer. 150 seems too high. Better to use a calculator that you seed with threshold HR instead of max.

Ah. Comes back to the "what do I know".

I was confusing max with threshold. Using the various online calculators I'm getting a Z2 topping out at around 150 if I put in a threshold heart rate of 165.

I could probably see that, but I guess I need to do another test, eh? :rolleyes:

Trsnrtr 07-21-20 06:30 PM


Originally Posted by phrantic09 (Post 21600064)
By the way... contract is signed. We should be closing between 8/22-28

Excellent! :thumb:

genejockey 07-21-20 06:37 PM

Every HR Zone calculator seems to miss mine, so I have to set them manually based on experience.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:09 PM.


Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.