Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   What kind of bike is best? If there is a coupon, which model should I buy? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1231829)

EliasGoodman 06-02-21 08:10 PM

What kind of bike is best? If there is a coupon, which model should I buy?

Last time I asked people why cycling is difficult to lose weight and was answered enthusiastically. I thank you all for that. Currently, I want to ask for more opinions about replacing myself with a new bike to lose weight more effectively. Currently I still have 1 voucher to buy, so I want to ask which bike model should I change to? Which bike model is right for me in training to lose weight and gain weight?
Hope someone can help me with this problem. :love:

jaxgtr 06-02-21 08:42 PM

a lot of unmentioned parameters that need answered before anyone can remotely give you some ideas. Type of riding, where are you riding, what are you goals, hills, flat, stuff like that.

EliasGoodman 06-02-21 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by jaxgtr (Post 22085797)
a lot of unmentioned parameters that need answered before anyone can remotely give you some ideas. Type of riding, where are you riding, what are you goals, hills, flat, stuff like that.

I needed a long-distance bike to reduce the need of the rod and have high durability. I absolutely only go on flat roads but need the certainty of the car to bring me safety.:p

mstateglfr 06-02-21 09:49 PM

What sort of voucher do you have? Is it for a specific brand, or store or, or value?

I'm guessing a rigid frame and fork flat bar hybrid would be good. Trek FX series, for example.

guachi 06-02-21 10:14 PM

If you need a long-distance bike for the road I'd get an endurance road bike. What do you consider long distance?

EliasGoodman 06-03-21 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by mstateglfr (Post 22085890)
What sort of voucher do you have? Is it for a specific brand, or store or, or value?

I'm guessing a rigid frame and fork flat bar hybrid would be good. Trek FX series, for example.

Your opinion deserves attention. I will consider when deciding to buy my car.

EliasGoodman 06-03-21 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by guachi (Post 22085905)
If you need a long-distance bike for the road I'd get an endurance road bike. What do you consider long distance?

I am using the wrong word. But you are getting it right with what I am saying.

VegasTriker 06-05-21 08:26 PM

This is only going to work for you if you get a bike that is one you will ride more than you ride your current bike. You will need to find one that is reasonably comfortable, Try out a variety of bikes of different styles before you plunk down your money. These days it takes more than $500 to get beyond the entry level bikes from a bike store. If you want one that is going to be reliable stay away from mass merchandisers. If you know anyone who is an accomplished cyclist take that person with you when you go shopping. If not, try locating a recreational bike club (not racing club) at your location and ask for advice. They will know which local bike stores are worth visiting. If you google on "bike club" and the "name of your town" one should come up.

Since you are new here you probably haven't read the many posts about how hard it is to find a new bike these days. They are in very short supply so a bike store may not even have a single bike in the frame size that you need and still be within your price range.
If you really want to lose weight you should consider monitoring your food intake and portion size. It is pretty easy to increase the amount you eat as you burn more calories riding a bike. It's a natural thing for your body to do.

Mark Dominck 06-07-21 07:47 AM

Never met a bike I didn't like

Iride01 06-07-21 09:47 AM

Tell us how you expect to ride the bike. Are you going to be a leisurely effort for less than an hour? 30 minutes? Or do you think you'll be riding long distances for 2 maybe 3 hours or more at a time? Will you try to ride that like you are going for a land speed record or in a relaxed manner?

How often will you ride?

What appeals to you more, riding on paved roads and paths? Or going off road on unpaved trails that have some challenging terrain or obstacles that take a little skill to do?

You mentioned weight loss. For the most part, IMO when I can ride long and easy, I see the most weight loss. When I ride hard I tend to eat back all the Calories and more that I burned off. And that is short hard rides or long rides at a max effort.

Phil_gretz 06-07-21 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Dominck (Post 22091521)

I repair all kinds of bikes. A lot of them. For over half of the bikes, I'm sorry that I ever met them. Half of the remainder are passable, and can serve their owners acceptably. A few are quite decent and rideable. There are few indeed that I'd love to embrace, and with whom I'd live a lifetime. Maybe 1 in a 1000 that I meet. Maybe 1 in 50 million that are manufactured.

GlennR 06-07-21 02:19 PM

You can lose weight on a spin bike, if that's your only goal.

Mark Dominck 06-08-21 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Phil_gretz (Post 22091740)
I repair all kinds of bikes. A lot of them. For over half of the bikes, I'm sorry that I ever met them. Half of the remainder are passable, and can serve their owners acceptably. A few are quite decent and rideable. There are few indeed that I'd love to embrace, and with whom I'd live a lifetime. Maybe 1 in a 1000 that I meet. Maybe 1 in 50 million that are manufactured.

You have met a lot more bikes than I have I can see how you would have a different view of bikes

Milton Keynes 06-08-21 08:01 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Dominck (Post 22091521)

You've obviously never ridden a Walmart BSO.

Milton Keynes 06-08-21 08:04 AM

Asking what kind of bike you should buy is like asking what kind of car you should buy. Depending on how you plan to use it is the major factor. If you're just looking for something to casually ride around town, I'd suggest an upright straight bar bike like a hybrid. If you're looking to ride long distances (say, 40 miles or more) on pavement, I'd suggest a dedicated road bike. If you plan to ride gravel or trails, I'd suggest a gravel or mountain bike.

prj71 06-08-21 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by EliasGoodman (Post 22085832)
I needed a long-distance bike to reduce the need of the rod and have high durability. I absolutely only go on flat roads but need the certainty of the car to bring me safety.:p

Brand and model doesn't matter for weight loss. And you are not going to effectively lose any weight if you only go on flat roads.

The type of biking that will help you lose weight challenges your lungs and legs.

bblair 06-10-21 09:21 AM

Not sure about the voucher, is it for a bike shop or department store?

You best bet is to find a trusted local bike shop. Explain what kind of riding you'd like to do, what your budget is, what you didn't like about the last bike, etc. Most are incredibly helpful, if not, then find a different shop. Oh...and go on a Tuesday morning, not Saturday afternoon.

As far as loosing weight, much has been written, but it seems that input is way more important than output. For example, I just returned from a 6 day, 320 mile, fully loaded tour. I only gained a pound.

BadGrandma 06-11-21 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by bblair (Post 22096154)

You best bet is to find a trusted local bike shop. Explain what kind of riding you'd like to do, what your budget is, what you didn't like about the last bike, etc. Most are incredibly helpful, if not, then find a different shop. Oh...and go on a Tuesday morning, not Saturday afternoon.

As far as loosing weight, much has been written, but it seems that input is way more important than output. For example, I just returned from a 6 day, 320 mile, fully loaded tour. I only gained a pound.

Bruce is doing wrong, no weight gain whatsoever. Is it because he toured southward rather than northward?

EliasGoodman 06-14-21 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by GlennR (Post 22092064)
You can lose weight on a spin bike, if that's your only goal.

with each trip will help me lose weight and also let me relax after stressful working hours.

EliasGoodman 06-14-21 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by bblair (Post 22096154)

Thank you very much for what you have shared. I am also looking for more good car companies to buy myself a car I like best. Thanks to cycling, I have successfully lost weight.

mstateglfr 06-14-21 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 22092947)
Asking what kind of bike you should buy is like asking what kind of car you should buy.

The OP is now curious about cars...

veganbikes 06-14-21 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 22092947)
Asking what kind of bike you should buy is like asking what kind of car you should buy.

So which one a Chevy Lumina or a Dually Pickup or a BMW Isetta? Maybe a Manx Dune Buggy? I really just need it for driving drunk but I may occasionally use it for parking in other people's driveways.

Milton Keynes 06-15-21 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by veganbikes (Post 22102555)
So which one a Chevy Lumina or a Dually Pickup or a BMW Isetta? Maybe a Manx Dune Buggy? I really just need it for driving drunk but I may occasionally use it for parking in other people's driveways.

If you just need it for driving drunk then I'd suggest an armored personnel carrier. It can withstand a lot more damage.

veganbikes 06-15-21 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes (Post 22102764)
If you just need it for driving drunk then I'd suggest an armored personnel carrier. It can withstand a lot more damage.

Hmmm...good choice can I also use it to go to the store on Sunday? :p

bblair 06-21-21 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by BadGrandma (Post 22097848)
Bruce is doing wrong, no weight gain whatsoever. Is it because he toured southward rather than northward?

Yes it is a well-known fact that the closer you are to Cleveland, the more you weigh. He also probably didn't eat as much ice cream as we did, but made up for it in beers.