Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Electric Bikes (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=258)
-   -   TORQUE Based E-Assist with THROTTLE? (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1256645)

newbert 08-10-22 07:06 AM

TORQUE Based E-Assist with THROTTLE?

I presently ride a Catrike Villager recumbent trike with cadence based e-assist. While I'm very happy with the trike, I find that i'm not as happy with the cadence based system that I have (although I DO like that it has a throttle). So, I'm wondering whether there are any TORQUE-based e-Assist systems that also have a throttle?

If so, could anyone provide some info on it, or a link?

Also, if such a system does exist, would anyone know of a trike shop where I could test-ride such a system, and that would be able to do the conversion of my present system to the new one if I decide to go that route? I live in upstate New York, about 40 miles north of Albany but would be willing to travel to the Hudson Valley, Vermont, Western Mass, and Central NY State - and perhaps even to New Hampshire.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Bert

Robert C 08-10-22 07:35 AM

The TSDZ2 motor allows for both. I don't use it much anymore but I would sometimes use the throttle to boost a little in strong headwinds.

This motor is found on a few low-end eBikes, the type where someone throws some parts on a regular bike and then sells it as an eBike. It is also easily sourced and used on a lot of homemade eBikes. It is a pretty easy system to install. I eventually stopped using it due to the poor performance and I just liked the way the bike I replaced it with looked.

newbert 08-10-22 09:07 AM

Originally Posted by Robert C (Post 22605211)
The TSDZ2 motor allows for both. I don't use it much anymore but I would sometimes use the throttle to boost a little in strong headwinds.

This motor is found on a few low-end eBikes, the type where someone throws some parts on a regular bike and then sells it as an eBike. It is also easily sourced and used on a lot of homemade eBikes. It is a pretty easy system to install. I eventually stopped using it due to the poor performance and I just liked the way the bike I replaced it with looked.

Thanks for the response, Robert. I never heard of the TSDZ2 motor. But if you experienced poor performance from it (Could you define exactly what you mean?), I doubt that it would interest me. And while it may be considered easy to install, I'm sure it would be hard for me, since I'm "mechanically-challenged". :)

fooferdoggie 08-10-22 10:04 AM

the upper end bafang mid drives will have torque sensing. not sure if the smaller motors do

Robert C 08-10-22 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by fooferdoggie (Post 22605439)
the upper end bafang mid drives will have torque sensing. not sure if the smaller motors do

The BBS02 is cadence sensing instead of torque sensing.

fooferdoggie 08-10-22 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Robert C (Post 22605583)
The BBS02 is cadence sensing instead of torque sensing.

looks like this is the only one. I thought more had it Bafang, Ultra Mid Drive

mclewis1 08-11-22 02:27 PM

Bert, A Grin Cycle Analyst control/display ( https://ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicy...-analysts.html ) could very likely be added to your existing setup to provide either a power based PAS configuration (which feels MUCH more natural than most other PAS setups) or using one of a wide variety of torque sensors (most are replacements for your bottom bracket). The CA would be placed (electrically) in between your existing controller and the PAS/torque sensor. The CA also handles the throttle input. It basically takes input from a variety of devices, determines what you want to do and outputs a throttle like signal to your existing controller.

Not entirely simple but it would allow you to keep your existing trike setup.

BiciMan 08-15-22 08:50 AM

FWIW, my 2013 BH EasyMotion Neo Xtrem was/is a "TORQUE-based e-Assist (system) that also (has) a throttle"; and I've required nothing else. Good luck in your quest.