Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   General Cycling Discussion (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   My wife just pulled a me on me. (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1292549)

rosefarts 04-28-24 02:08 PM

My wife just pulled a me on me.

I’m working today.

My wife sent me a bunch of pictures of a bike a friend of hers thought would fit her. The pics she sent were terrible, closeups of brake levers and stuff like that.

I was able to piece together that it was a decent bike at a better than decent price.

A few minutes passed while I was trying to find the year and model of the bike. Then the next text rolls in, it’s the bike on the back of our car, in our driveway. Boom.

I still think I’m winning, we drove two cars from Kentucky to Oregon a couple years ago with a stop in Colorado. I ordered my Canfield to get delivered and built in Colorado. I picked it up and put it on the back of the car she was driving. We were in Albuquerque when she noticed.

She’s rocking a sweet little FS bike now. I’m excited for her.

SoSmellyAir 04-28-24 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by rosefarts (Post 23225798)
I ordered my Canfield to get delivered and built in Colorado. I picked it up and put it on the back of the car she was driving. We were in Albuquerque when she noticed.

Are you saying she does not use her mirrors? Or was there already another bike mounted to her car?

She’s rocking a sweet little FS bike now. I’m excited for her.

What is an FS bike?

veganbikes 04-28-24 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir (Post 23226018)
Are you saying she does not use her mirrors? Or was there already another bike mounted to her car?

What is an FS bike?

Generally FS is Full Suspension

rsbob 04-28-24 10:08 PM

Something similar happening here. I am the one that usually researches cars for Mrs RSbob and myself, even though we do not buy very often - like 10 years per car and over 100,000 miles. She always gets the final say on the options I provide. Now she is very interested in her new car (she usually buys used) and is very busy looking, finding the right options and color and price. A complete roll reversal. Maybe I am rubbing off.

zandoval 04-28-24 10:26 PM

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy... Yep!

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a8a3b7437.jpeg

indyfabz 04-29-24 04:20 AM

I bought a GF a new touring bike for her birthday. I hung it on the wall rack in my small house. When she got home from work, I told her her present was on the first floor. (The first floor has an open floor plan.). It took her a good 5 minutes to notice it.

Troul 04-29-24 05:13 AM

in most cases though, one person tends to get "excited" (mad) that a purchase like that has been made..... So did you get mad & rush out to the store to buy a new bicycle in revenge to equalize the situation?

bblair 04-29-24 06:56 AM

I’m working today.

My wife sent me a bunch of pictures of a bike a friend of hers thought would fit her. The pics she sent were terrible, closeups of brake levers and stuff like that.

We were in Albuquerque when she noticed.

My wife asked me a few days ago, "did you get a new bike?"

Yes, about 7 years ago.

rosefarts 04-29-24 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by bblair (Post 23226316)
My wife asked me a few days ago, "did you get a new bike?"

Yes, about 7 years ago.

I used to have an older green hard tail Trek. My wife was waiting for me at a finish line and someone else on a full suspension green bike came through. She thought it was me for a minute.

If my new bike had been green, she never would have known.

As for not noticing it, she was driving the car with the rack. She knew there was a bike back there. That’s about it.

Right now she’s proud because she’s worked the bike rack without me twice this weekend. As a cog in the hospital machine, I work one weekend a month so I’ve been gone this weekend.

Steel Charlie 04-29-24 09:05 AM

Wife - what's in the back of the car?

Me - what car?

Your car

The CRV ?

Yes, it looks like a bike

A bike?

Yes, a bike. Did you buy another bike?

I don't remember

rosefarts 04-29-24 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Troul (Post 23226255)
in most cases though, one person tends to get "excited" (mad) that a purchase like that has been made..... So did you get mad & rush out to the store to buy a new bicycle in revenge to equalize the situation?

Im interested in your ideas and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Ots090 04-29-24 03:53 PM

I never bring packaging home and I've had everything for years.

Eric F 04-29-24 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Ots090 (Post 23226842)

Some things get shipped to our house. Some get shipped to my office.

Troul 04-29-24 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 23226916)
Some things get shipped to our house. Some get shipped to my office.

shipping things to a friends address may or may not be a thing...

Troul 04-29-24 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Ots090 (Post 23226842)

"oh that old thang? ... I've always had that Gen 4 Domane with the Partington R-Series MKII wheelset.."

phughes 04-29-24 07:19 PM

I’m working today.

. We were in Albuquerque when she noticed.

:lol: That's hilarious.

Hope she enjoys her new bike!

downtube42 04-29-24 08:17 PM

I can only imagine the conversations my wife has with her knitting friends, at my expense.

"My stash is in a chest of drawers in his home office, and he has no idea the contents cost twice all his bikes combined. He can't even tell the difference between Hobby Lobby yarn and 100% Wild Vicuña!"

I'm sure they have a grand time.

bblair 04-30-24 06:53 AM

Which begs the question: When is it a new bike?

New wheels, new seat, new chain and cassette, new shifters and chainrings and tires? No honey, I just did some maintenance.

rosefarts 04-30-24 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by bblair (Post 23227268)

New wheels, new seat, new chain and cassette, new shifters and chainrings and tires? No honey, I just did some maintenance.

I’m 100% certain that on my Yelli, I could get carbon wheels, an XX1 AXS drivetrain, and whatever else I wanted if I could make sure it came in the mail on the right day OR it just happened while the bike was in the shop for a brake bleed.

I’m actually not planning on any of that, since all my bikes are exactly how I want them.

If I wreck one of my Stan’s Crest wheels on the gravel bike, it’ll be replaced with a 1200gm wheelset. That’s the entire list, I must be living right.

My wife is a badass skier, to the point that sometimes it’s a bit scary to follow her and I’m no slouch. She understands the need for new ski gear. This winter I did a ton of research into a new all mountain setup on sale, I placed the order and figured I should probably tell her since that’s a big box. That’s when she told me about the new fat powder skis of hers that were due to show up the next day.

Eric F 04-30-24 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by bblair (Post 23227268)

I bought a bike. Then, piece by piece, I replaced everything...including the frame. I can rebuild the original bike, exactly the way I bought it.

downtube42 04-30-24 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 23227450)
I bought a bike. Then, piece by piece, I replaced everything...including the frame. I can rebuild the original bike, exactly the way I bought it.

The Bike of Theseus

campfire 05-03-24 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Eric F (Post 23227450)

If you replaced all the pieces...and you kept the old pieces...and you can rebuild the original bike...it sounds like you now have two complete bikes. No? :D