Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction 2021.1 (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1220643)

ls01 01-03-21 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21860216)

How dare you!

ls01 01-03-21 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21860283)
My rear shifting became quite sloppy during yesterday’s gritty ride. I cleaned/degreased drivetrain and relubed everything.

BUT

It’s still not shifting well and I have isolated the problem to the RD which is not swinging back well, and causing a severe case of slack-chain. The return spring on RD seems weak. See pic below. Suggestions?? I think I had this problem before and tried to tighten the circular return spring and it’s been several years, all I recall is it ended up not working and I got very frustrated.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...a5eeb1c57.jpeg

Help!

If I remember correctly, there's an E clip on the back side of the "B" pivot. Should be a coil spring with the ends bent into 2 nubs that seat into holes.. take the clip off and inspect the spring,, make sure the nubs are still on it. Make sure the holes they sit in haven't sheered off. Or the "B" pivot could just need cleaning and grease.
Be careful after the clip is removed the spring is under tension and could come apart.
EDIT: Now that I look at the pic a little closer. The attachment bolt and surrounding area looks a bit beat up. You didn't drop it recently did you?

genejockey 01-03-21 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21860438)
While your at it that frame looks like it could be the problem, Probably best if you replace it.:innocent:

"Yoo nidd noo bai-eek."

ls01 01-03-21 12:50 PM

I just sold a Cycleops fluid trainer . 2 kinetics to go.

MoAlpha 01-03-21 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21860455)
If I remember correctly, there's an E clip on the back side of the "B" pivot. Should be a coil spring with the ends bent into 2 nubs that seat into holes.. take the clip off and inspect the spring,, make sure the nubs are still on it. Make sure the holes they sit in haven't sheered off. Or the "B" pivot could just need cleaning and grease.
Be careful after the clip is removed the spring is under tension and could come apart.
EDIT: Now that I look at the pic a little closer. The attachment bolt and surrounding area looks a bit beat up. You didn't drop it recently did you?

This! I’m betting broken-off “nub,” favorite failure mode of coil springs.

datlas 01-03-21 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by ls01 (Post 21860455)

No recent drop. Will try to lube this better and check chain life, as well as ensure spring nubs in position. Will avoid taking spring out as that’s what I messed up several years ago, but if problem persists I may have to.

Velo Vol 01-03-21 01:21 PM

My watch died. :(

Velo Vol 01-03-21 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21860283)
Help!

I have nothing to add other than to observe that that chain looks too loose.

LesterOfPuppets 01-03-21 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21860505)
No recent drop. Will try to lube this better and check chain life, as well as ensure spring nubs in position. Will avoid taking spring out as that’s what I messed up several years ago, but if problem persists I may have to.

Not sending it across the room is 90% of the battle. :)

datlas 01-03-21 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21860513)

Needs a new battery?

datlas 01-03-21 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21860409)
Looks to me like an opportunity to throw away that cable eating drivetrain. :innocent:

It has crossed my mind....

I have considered getting a whole new groupset for the Habanero, but an hoping to keep current version going for another 1-2 years and plan to get the next-generation Shimano when it’s out.

abshipp 01-03-21 01:29 PM

Speaking of RDs, I've been running a Dura-Ace 7800 rear derailleur and downtube shifters all year on the Trek, but I'm wanting some lower gearing - at least 32T in the back, preferably 34T. I know that some people have run larger than 28T in the back on those derailleurs, but I'm already exceeding the capacity as it is with the short cage. Long cage 7800 is prohibitively expensive and wont' give me the max cog I want anyways.

Part of me is really wanting an XTR RD-MD980, partly because that smoked grey finish is so cool, and also because it's a rapid rise model which adds some interesting character.

However, that stupid voice of reason is telling me to spend less than half the money on a brand new 105 RD-5701-GS. I'd probably be happier with the 105 but compared to the XTR it's just so uncool.

rjones28 01-03-21 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21860338)
Thanks. I just lubed the pivot point and it’s slightly better already. Will work on it. Also possible chain is getting old, my vernier calipers are digital with a solar cell, so a rainy day like today renders it useless!

If I was down at the shop, I'd take it off the bike and throw in the the parts washer. At home, I'd degrease with soapy water/solvent and re-lube. Or hit it with some 1-Step.

rjones28 01-03-21 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21860409)
Looks to me like an opportunity to throw away that cable eating drivetrain. :innocent:

I concur.

rjones28 01-03-21 01:34 PM

Upgrade opportunity. ;)

DougRNS 01-03-21 01:40 PM

Too bad you didn't ask Santa for one. Oops, nevermind.
#OnAShortLeashWithSantaToo

BillyD 01-03-21 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia (Post 21860367)
Sure way to jinx the new year...thanks a lot. :innocent:

Think positive. What’s his name is gone so we’re way ahead of the game.

WhyFi 01-03-21 02:02 PM

Got out for a good ride. While I did not traverse and frozen lakes, I did ride on a mostly frozen creek. It was all very Instagramable.

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...1e2a78e473.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...b474d8f336.jpg

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...4c000c1135.jpg

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...23c755d3ae.jpg

rjones28 01-03-21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21860523)
Speaking of RDs, I've been running a Dura-Ace 7800 rear derailleur and downtube shifters all year on the Trek, but I'm wanting some lower gearing - at least 32T in the back, preferably 34T. I know that some people have run larger than 28T in the back on those derailleurs, but I'm already exceeding the capacity as it is with the short cage. Long cage 7800 is prohibitively expensive and wont' give me the max cog I want anyways.

Part of me is really wanting an XTR RD-MD980, partly because that smoked grey finish is so cool, and also because it's a rapid rise model which adds some interesting character.

However, that stupid voice of reason is telling me to spend less than half the money on a brand new 105 RD-5701-GS. I'd probably be happier with the 105 but compared to the XTR it's just so uncool.

Get the one you really, really want.

#yolo

abshipp 01-03-21 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21860569)
Get the one you really, really want.

#yolo

Well I'll have to wait a little longer. Someone bought the only good one on eBay :rolleyes:

#snoozing

WhyFi 01-03-21 02:17 PM

There are times when looking at the relative cost is pretty sensible and there are times when looking at the absolute cost differential is much better. It's like when people try to rag on expensive socks, "are your $15 socks 10 times better than my $1.50 socks?" Pfft - I don't know if they're 10 times better, but they're certainly $13.50 better." In this instance, I think it's more sensible for you to look at the absolute rather than relative price difference - in the grand scheme of things, it's not that much, 'specially when you factor life expectancy and usage.

datlas 01-03-21 02:31 PM

Consider a Wolf Tooth or similar RD hanger extender?

Velo Vol 01-03-21 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by rjones28 (Post 21860534)
Upgrade opportunity. ;)

I believe I have one that's been collecting dust that someone gave me many months ago. Still sad to see the old TimeX retired.

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21860566)
I did ride on a mostly frozen creek.

^^^
Things I have never had a desire to do.

wut

WhyFi 01-03-21 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21860630)

I'm guessing that it's about leaving his feet and driving down his shoulders at the end. Eh. Totally meaningless game, anyway. Well, other than Jefferson breaking the rookie receiving yardage mark.

abshipp 01-03-21 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by WhyFi (Post 21860587)
There are times when looking at the relative cost is pretty sensible and there are times when looking at the absolute cost differential is much better. It's like when people try to rag on expensive socks, "are your $15 socks 10 times better than my $1.50 socks?" Pfft - I don't know if they're 10 times better, but they're certainly $13.50 better." In this instance, I think it's more sensible for you to look at the absolute rather than relative price difference - in the grand scheme of things, it's not that much, 'specially when you factor life expectancy and usage.

Not a bad way of looking at things. I know that I'll only think about the purchase price at the POS, once I've got it in-hand the pain will already have passed.

I am trying to get away from buying everything used though, which complicates things. There's no way I'm paying the NOS prices for one of those XTRs, if I'm spending that much money I'll just get 11s Campagnolo ;)

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21860607)
Consider a Wolf Tooth or similar RD hanger extender?

I may or may not already be exceeding the total capacity of the RD by 5 teeth :innocent:

I do need to pick up another goat link for the MTB at some point though :thumb: