Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   "The 33"-Road Bike Racing (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Training Status??? (IV) (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1021397)

TMonk 09-09-15 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by mike868y (Post 18150725)
speaking of flats...one of my tires blew up in the middle of the night last night. scared the hell out of me (I keep my bikes in my bedroom). never had anything like that happen before.

lol

Duke of Kent 09-09-15 03:37 PM

Felt fatigued the last few days. Only made it through 12min of my first of two 20min intervals last night before I called it a night and rode back home.

I've also been having a hard time breathing. The pollen count as a 10 out of a possible 12 right now, per wunderground, so I'm guessing that might have something to do with it. Going to do 2hrs on the rollers, then back to the books.

TheKillerPenguin 09-09-15 05:50 PM

2hrs z1/2, followed by general tso intervals.

hubcyclist 09-09-15 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 18151370)
2hrs z1/2, followed by general tso intervals.

general tso and I haven't been friends for 12 years after he infected me with a weekend of hurling. the irony was that it came from an eatery inside johns hopkins hospital.

an hour-ish on zwift with 3x15 sweet spot in a hot basement

furiousferret 09-09-15 08:47 PM

V02 Intervals 10@30s with 15s rest....3 sets. Felt a bit off today.

johnybutts 09-09-15 09:45 PM

50 minutes on zwift.

Racing this weekend. Likely getting dropped. Just have to hang on as long as possible

grolby 09-10-15 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by mike868y (Post 18150495)
meh. i race cross for fun. racing is fun, sitting on the sidelines is not.

I know what you mean, though my perspective is that getting passed by people who are normally slower than me because I'm smoked from my first race is basically the epitome of Un-fun.

mike868y 09-10-15 07:50 AM

about 2 hours in the woods today remembering how to ride the cross bike. and my that i mean crashing into ****. for some reason the seatpost on this bike keep slipping. friggin annoying.

TheKillerPenguin 09-10-15 07:53 AM

lol.

I've been told to take a couple of days off. Madness!

hubcyclist 09-10-15 08:57 AM

thursday equals vo2max day for me, can't say i'm looking forward to it, as i'll be indoors due to storms in the area. probably 6x3 min

longe 09-10-15 09:19 AM

Last night I got caught in a nasty rain storm. I didn't see any lightning, but the clouds were dark black. Pretty terrifying.

Tonight Z1, tomorrow race prep and beer, Saturday CX, Sunday hopefully CX assuming I don't wreck something. Then next weekend = crits!

furiousferret 09-10-15 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin (Post 18152549)
lol.

I've been told to take a couple of days off. Madness!

This sounds like something I would post.

Actually, since I have the Jeep back, I have taken actual days off. I usually spend them staring at my bike, while Simon and Garfunkels 'The Sound of Silence' plays on repeat.

mike868y 09-10-15 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by longe (Post 18152826)
Last night I got caught in a nasty rain storm. I didn't see any lightning, but the clouds were dark black. Pretty terrifying.

Tonight Z1, tomorrow race prep and beer, Saturday CX, Sunday hopefully CX assuming I don't wreck something. Then next weekend = crits!

racing silk city on saturday?

TMonk 09-10-15 10:49 AM

I'm taking four days off the bike for a backpacking trip.

Hopefully I will still be allowed in "the 33" when I get back :D

hubcyclist 09-10-15 10:57 AM

6x3 at 120%+ done, well, more like 5, the last one was painful (although it was still 110% ftp). I would have preferred to actually climb hills

rankin116 09-10-15 11:02 AM

I'm taking 2 days off due to an infected wound from a fight with a pedal that my shin lost.

grolby 09-10-15 11:05 AM

Z1 commute, possibly a wet one on the way home.

Originally Posted by longe (Post 18152826)

I saw your radar image on the FaceWebs yesterday. Looked pretty intense. None of that **** seems to have made it this far east yet, which is kind of too bad. But today is kinda moist and potentially stormy so maybe it won't be a dust bog at the CX races this weekend.

Also, I like that your race prep day includes beer. I'm trying to hold off on getting into the 12-pack in my basement for a week or two.

furiousferret 09-10-15 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by TMonk (Post 18153180)
I'm taking four days off the bike for a backpacking trip.

Hopefully I will still be allowed in "the 33" when I get back :D

The problem is you're going to Onion Valley, one of the best climbs in the US....and leaving the bike at home...

TMonk 09-10-15 11:49 AM

No, the real problem is that Kearsarge Pass (and the entire High Sierra) is smoked out from the Rough Fire, 100,000 acres in Kings Canyon that is only 30% contained.... We're bailing.

San Gorgonio also looks like it has high % prep. both days over the weekend. We are meeting after work to decide where to go, will prob be something coastal like Big Sur or Santa Cruz mtns.

furiousferret 09-10-15 12:09 PM

Well if you go to San G make sure to not hit me on the way up!

longe 09-10-15 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by grolby (Post 18153250)
Z1 commute, possibly a wet one on the way home.

I saw your radar image on the FaceWebs yesterday. Looked pretty intense. None of that **** seems to have made it this far east yet, which is kind of too bad. But today is kinda moist and potentially stormy so maybe it won't be a dust bog at the CX races this weekend.

Also, I like that your race prep day includes beer. I'm trying to hold off on getting into the 12-pack in my basement for a week or two.

I looked back once I got to my porch- I went through the blackest of all the black clouds around. Was the first wave of the cold front coming through.

Originally Posted by mike868y (Post 18153168)
racing silk city on saturday?

Yarr, see ya there matie!

Surfer3287 09-10-15 04:16 PM

20 minutes active recovery, trying to loosen up right knee/lower quad. Should I assume this "discomfort" is overexertion from trying to latch back on to the group and/or me not be used to the "hills" of Clermont (hilly compared to Tampa)? Should I be resting completely or continuing to use AR/END rides for a while?

revchuck 09-10-15 05:34 PM

If just one of your legs is sore, there might be something going on other than overexertion. Are your legs the same length? It's not uncommon to have slightly different length legs, and that might be what's going on. Or not.

Anywhere is hilly compared to Tampa. :)

Surfer3287 09-10-15 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by revchuck (Post 18154338)
If just one of your legs is sore, there might be something going on other than overexertion. Are your legs the same length? It's not uncommon to have slightly different length legs, and that might be what's going on. Or not.

Anywhere is hilly compared to Tampa. :)

I've had a bike fit recently (early June) and nothing was revealed there. I trust the fitter to have noticed and fixed that if it seemed to be a problem the last time I was in. It is localized to just one leg, just along the top of the knee. It is really apparent if I try to stand up and pedal from a stop using that leg. I didn't notice it in the race, but noticed it immediately after when I had to stop and finish registering (I arrived late.) I tried some light stretching and some massage after my brief spin, but it still feels about the same as it did yesterday immediately post-race.

Time to take a few days off???

furiousferret 09-10-15 09:07 PM

During my morning commute I had a breakfast bar...took one bite, hit a pothole and the thing fell on the ground....fml

Commute and more intervals....about 170 tss all together.

TMonk 09-10-15 10:30 PM

We're preparing for weather, and doing San G, via Vivian Creek. Familiar trail for only myself out of the group.

Will make sure not to run over @furiousferret on the drive to the trailhead!

spdntrxi 09-10-15 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by furiousferret (Post 18154834)
During my morning commute I had a breakfast bar...took one bite, hit a pothole and the thing fell on the ground....fml

Commute and more intervals....about 170 tss all together.

you had 3 seconds to get it...:thumb:

aaronmcd 09-11-15 12:07 AM

Did the morning race ride. Felt rested, planned to attack the first hill. Watched, saw dylan going for the attack and followed. Hurt, and ended up 2 seconds off the Strava KOM. Just followed after that, but kept having to close gap after gap. The ride was shattered into many groups within the first 10 minutes. Came together (maybe half of us) and I just hung on recovering. Went for the KOM as usual, 4th as usual, but fairly close (10 seconds or so out of 5 minutes).

furiousferret 09-11-15 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by spdntrxi (Post 18154968)
you had 3 seconds to get it...:thumb:

Trust me, I would have...but the car behind me had other ideas :(

mike868y 09-11-15 09:47 AM

had planned to practice some dismounts/remounts this morning before work. but it was riding, so i ended up just commuting. not going to have time after work as i have to get to the shop to get my skinsuits. whelp, guess i'm winging it at the first race of the season tomorrow.