Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Di2 Front Derailleur Not Shifting (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1240909)

AuctioneerNJ 10-21-21 10:46 AM

Di2 Front Derailleur Not Shifting

Please help. Central New Jersey Here..Exit 9...I have an Orbea Orca All Carbon with a old version of Di2. The one where one junction box is located under the bottom bracket and the the other is on the cables under the stem but not attached to the stem. My Front Derailleur is not shifting. I have a new battery in fully charged. When I press and hold on the shifter the led on the junction box lights up but no response to from the FD-6770 (front derailleur). Everything else works. Pushed the cables in and heard them click. Anyone have any suggestions on how to determine if the cable between the junction boxes, the junction boxes, the cable between the junction box below the bottom bracket to the derailleur or the front derailleur is faulty. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Am considering buying a sm-pce1 or sm-pce2 to diagnose but want to also make sure if i do buy one or the other that it can work on both newer and older systems. Thank you for reading and considering my needs...Doing big hills without that little ring is killing me!..Thanks--Steve

jaxgtr 10-21-21 06:33 PM

You might want to move this thread to bike mechanics

Kimmo 10-21-21 08:05 PM

Try removing the FD and plugging it into the RD's cable.

blakcloud 10-22-21 07:47 PM

Go to this website and it has all kinds of information that might be helpful. https://bettershifting.com/

Terry, the Di2 expert also is on this board (he is the bettershifting owner)

Iride01 10-23-21 02:52 PM

You say your LED's light up on the junction box, but how they light up and flash or don't flash will tell you various things. One being what the state of charge it thinks your battery is.

Is this an external battery that you charge off the bike?

TerryDi2C 10-24-21 01:34 PM

Like Kimmo said, connecting the FD using the RD cable will let you rule out the FD wire as the cause of the issue.

Normally I'd say connect the bike to a windows computer and let E-Tube Project tell you more about the connected components, but that's tough considering you have the SM-EW67 junction, external battery and no SM-BCR2 charger :).

When you say it flashes, does that mean it shows the battery status.. or does it flash differently? What colour?

You could buy the SM-PCE1 / SM-PCE02, but keep in mind that:
  • these will never charge the bike, they are for diagnostics only
  • If your battery mount is the SM-BMR1, then that should only be updated using the SM-PCE1. The PCE02 cannot always restore a 'corrupted' SM-BMR1. The SM-BMR2 is fine :).
  • The SM-PCE1 can only be used with E-Tube Project 3.4.5 and 4.0.4. It won't work with the new E-Tube Project V5 / Professional.
    (there is no need to use V5 with 6770 Di2, but still)

sfrider 10-24-21 05:30 PM

The junction box doesn't flash or light up at all when I shift. So it's probably an error indication. Cable, derailleur, or shifter. The cable as you noted is easily swapped out, but for the FD/shifter I'd take it to a store with spare parts on hand and let them swap parts until the culprit is identified. Another thing to make sure is that the FD is free to move. Also, keep in mind the settings are kept in the battery so maybe it needs to be connected to E-Tube once just to be initialized.

Kimmo 10-25-21 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by TerryDi2C (Post 22281591)
(there is no need to use V5 with 6770 Di2, but still)

So there's more stuff you can do with V5 on later gear...?

TerryDi2C 10-25-21 06:17 AM

V5 can also handle the wireless shifters - perhaps V4 can too.

I haven't had a chance to play with the 12 speed stuff yet, apart from Eurobike. I'll probably visit Shimano EU next month and play with it though :)

AuctioneerNJ 10-25-21 09:26 PM

Ok..THANK YOU FOR THE REPLIES...NOW...The LED on the junction box lights up solid green when I press and hold any shifter buttons and the front derailleur shifts when hooked up to the rear derailleur cable. Thank you for the replies. Now how do I diagnose whether the cable between the junction boxes, the junction box(es) or the cable between the junction box below the bottom bracket to the derailleur is faulty...Again

THANK YOU FOR THE REPLIES!:love:

AuctioneerNJ 02-05-22 10:07 AM

A bit late in coming and I want to help all that replied with their suggestions, however, removing the front derailleur and plugging it into the rear derailleur told me that the front derailleur was not faulty.. pretty neat that the system knows the component plugged into it without any real programming.. So... it was either the cable or the junction box.. further inspection revealed a nick in cable, Then when I got the new cable, it would not "click" into the junction box and then pushed too hard an broke the junction box...so had to buy a new one after unsuccessfully trying to glue the old one back together...But after the new junction box and new cable was installed...system worked flawlessly. Thanks for all your help...It was a lot easier for me than going to a bike shop and I gained knowledge on how to deal with some additional issues.