Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Commuting (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Inside parking at last! (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1251956)

ascherer 05-17-22 07:14 PM

Inside parking at last!

My company started to allow parking on 3 of our 5 floors today. So pleased to bring my commuter indoors.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...2d486bc76.jpeg
First!

pdlamb 05-18-22 08:49 AM

Very cool! No need to worry about your leather saddle, or the chain rusting any more!

ascherer 05-18-22 12:18 PM

...or people leaving crap in my basket. Only happened once.

essiemyra 05-18-22 01:58 PM

Very nice!

rumrunn6 05-18-22 06:38 PM

congrats! jealous! is that space designated for bikes? will it be OK if the bike is wet from rain or snow? it looks like a reeky nice space!

ascherer 05-18-22 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22511705)
congrats! jealous! is that space designated for bikes? will it be OK if the bike is wet from rain or snow? it looks like a reeky nice space!

We have 5 floors in a landmarked building across the street from the Empire State Building and it’s beautifully designed. We have our own entrance and security so nobody gets up without being checked in. 3 floors have small conference spaces in the elevator areas that were never really used so it was decided to allow folks to put bikes and scooters there. The photo shows where a table and chairs used to be and the passenger elevators are on the other side of the frosted glass. Bikes come up the freight elevators with are in a locked hallway behind the space you see.

I suspect that they will eventually add protection for the carpets. I honestly don’t think there will be a lot of use, for one thing we have a lot of transit options and bike share, and most folks come in from the suburbs or other boroughs. Only a small number of us live in Manhattan. Before it was officially settled the EVP of HR told me I could keep mine in my office but I didn’t want to have folks that don’t have offices feel like I had special privilege, as much as I would have liked having it there.

rumrunn6 05-19-22 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by ascherer (Post 22511808)
We have 5 floors in a landmarked building across the street from the Empire State Building and it’s beautifully designed. We have our own entrance and security so nobody gets up without being checked in. 3 floors have small conference spaces in the elevator areas that were never really used so it was decided to allow folks to put bikes and scooters there. The photo shows where a table and chairs used to be and the passenger elevators are on the other side of the frosted glass. Bikes come up the freight elevators with are in a locked hallway behind the space you see.

I suspect that they will eventually add protection for the carpets. I honestly don’t think there will be a lot of use, for one thing we have a lot of transit options and bike share, and most folks come in from the suburbs or other boroughs. Only a small number of us live in Manhattan. Before it was officially settled the EVP of HR told me I could keep mine in my office but I didn’t want to have folks that don’t have offices feel like I had special privilege, as much as I would have liked having it there.

sweet! you guys hiring?! :D

ascherer 05-19-22 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22511988)
sweet! you guys hiring?! :D

Yup. 17 open positions. We have killer benefits too.

rumrunn6 05-19-22 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by ascherer (Post 22512074)
Yup. 17 open positions. We have killer benefits too.

I'd love to come back to the city. last time I worked in Manhattan was 1982 I think. do they still sell popcorn in the subways?

Harhir 05-24-22 07:36 AM

Nice. Plus do I see a hub dynamo setup with B&M lights? I am running these two on three of my bikes.

m.c. 06-17-22 11:43 AM

I like your bike, it looks like what I have planned for my Trek 520. I hope I can have both fenders and rear rack, there are only one set of mounts brazed on IIRC.

Germany_chris 06-19-22 01:51 PM

That’s why I like having an office, I just park my bike next to my desk

BobbyG 06-21-22 05:09 PM

ascherer I've seen your headline in the post list every day since you posted it and every time it makes me smile. I was lucky enough to have indoor parking for 20 years and it's certainly made a difference in my enjoyment. My main parking spot was in the warehouse/video stage, with with an alternate in a video equipment closet. Once in a while if we had a lot of strangers in for a project I would put it in my office with me. But then the problem is I would see it and start to adjust things things instead of working.

noglider 06-24-22 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by rumrunn6 (Post 22512128)
I'd love to come back to the city. last time I worked in Manhattan was 1982 I think. do they still sell popcorn in the subways?

You made me chuckle. I don't remember popcorn in the subways, and no, we don't have it now.

I lived in the city from 1961 through 1987 and then again from 2013 to now.

rumrunn6 06-24-22 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by noglider (Post 22552912)
You made me chuckle. I don't remember popcorn in the subways, and no, we don't have it now. I lived in the city from 1961 through 1987 and then again from 2013 to now.

must have been a different line. yeah they had magazine stands, cigarettes & popcorn. I often thought film drop off kiosks would do well