Bike Forums

Bike Forums (https://www.bikeforums.net/forum.php)
-   Road Cycling (https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Addiction LXXVIII (https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=1197210)

seedsbelize 04-18-20 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21425149)
With all the planes blocking the runway, I guess there's no where left to land.

https://twitter.com/TomPodolec/statu...61335728062468

Many years ago (1978?), while traveling Route 66 across the Southwest, we passed a recently landed plane. An interesting anecdote. We were hitchhiking. The guy riding shotgun had his binoculars out looking.for cops. Must've been pre-radar. That two lane road functioned as a four lane by using both shoulders as the slow lane. Wild. And while we're on the subject of hitchhiking, I once made it from Portland to Sacramento faster than I, personally, could have driven it.

datlas 04-18-20 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21425245)
Even idiot Texas isn't opening schools for the rest of the academic year; next fall is in question. No one should be thinking about this academic year.

Any chance you can use that to spin it with her? Two years closer to home and then transfer to USC when things are hopefully back to normal and she can get that full experience?

I suggested it. Even 1 year locally then transfer. She is not budging but I will bring it up again.

datlas 04-18-20 10:55 AM

So our drip coffee maker pot/carafe cracked somehow and now leaks a little. It is a proprietary size to fit in the unit and also push up the spring so the coffee drips down. I may have to disable that spring for the time being. I scoured ScamBay and did see a used replacement for like $25 (half the price is shipping), no way.

Why can’t they just use a universal size pot? Sigh.

seedsbelize 04-18-20 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425340)
I suggested it. Even 1 year locally then transfer. She is not budging but I will bring it up again.

She truly has no power here. Make sure you get that point across(namby pamby).

Trsnrtr 04-18-20 10:59 AM

50+º, sunny, and 15-25 mph winds. I never did get my trike out earlier this week so I'm thinking today is the day for a reellaaxxiinngg stroll type ride.

Bah Humbug 04-18-20 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by LAJ (Post 21425077)
Online everything will be the new normal.

It already was 90% of my normal.

Velo Vol 04-18-20 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets (Post 21425196)
No Canada for you!

A man without a country.

Originally Posted by bampilot06 (Post 21425252)
akron and pittsburg look the same.

Makes it hard to travel to Sharpsburg via aeroplane. DougRNS

When is the enrollment deadline? It must be a crazy time for HS seniors.

Bah Humbug 04-18-20 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425345)
So our drip coffee maker pot/carafe cracked somehow and now leaks a little. It is a proprietary size to fit in the unit and also push up the spring so the coffee drips down. I may have to disable that spring for the time being. I scoured ScamBay and did see a used replacement for like $25 (half the price is shipping), no way.

Why can’t they just use a universal size pot? Sigh.

It still should be - even with that spring I think a 12-cup pot is the same height.

datlas 04-18-20 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21425369)
A man without a country.

Makes it hard to travel to Sharpsburg via aeroplane. DougRNS

When is the enrollment deadline? It must be a crazy time for HS seniors.

Deadline is April 30. Soon.

datlas 04-18-20 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Bah Humbug (Post 21425370)
It still should be - even with that spring I think a 12-cup pot is the same height.

It should be, but it’s not. We have another 12 cup pot and height (and diameter at top) not the same.

kissTheApex 04-18-20 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425097)
How was it?? Mine was fine. The leader chose the "keep everyone together" which is kinda fake but also pleasant in that everyone in the group were forced to be together. We had maybe 18 riders and almost everyone was in Discord so there was some trash talking to keep it interesting.

That said, it's still fake and I would like prefer a solo ride (if weather is dry) to a fake group ride. The weather this morning was wet so the online group ride was Plan B.

It was ok. I usually just join into the organized rides that fit my level (roughly) so it’s not a real group ride with people I know.

Originally Posted by datlas (Post 21425105)
Agree. It makes daughter #2 college choice even more complicated. Why cough up a ton of $$$ to got school at USC if they are going to be remote anyway??

She’s still convinced USC is “the school” then?

abshipp 04-18-20 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by Trsnrtr (Post 21425353)
50+º, sunny, and 15-25 mph winds. I never did get my trike out earlier this week so I'm thinking today is the day for a reellaaxxiinngg stroll type ride.

I have a total lack of motivation today. Was planning on MTBing but I can't get myself to drive almost 30 miles to ride a 2 mile loop.

Not really keen on riding in this wind on a DF either.

seedsbelize 04-18-20 12:23 PM

I rarely get do do much hand-wringung. My four tubes came in, from Amazon. Schrader valves. Almost certainly the error was made by me when ordering. I don't want to mess with sending them back, but have only a couple rims drilled for Schrader. Valve grommets are fi dolla apiece. Any of you out there know of another way?

seedsbelize 04-18-20 12:29 PM

I got the worm box finished (the project I was working on when the finger got cut off), and moved said worms to their new home. It came close to wearing me out, a thing which is not allowed until June 1. I did it in two steps, resting in between. Shocking how easily I felt worn out. Healing takes energy.

kissTheApex 04-18-20 12:35 PM

Hey abshipp, I say the time is right for a paisley Thinline Tele with matching paisley headstock and a shredilicious double locking tremolo in 24 5/8” scale.

What say you? Having second thoughts on whether cover the back or not.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...846e35e15.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...16df4d302.jpeg

abshipp 04-18-20 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425526)
Hey abshipp, I say the time is right for a paisley Thinline Tele with matching paisley headstock and a shredilicious double locking tremolo in 24 5/8” scale.

What say you? Having second thoughts on whether cover the back or not.

I'd say cover the top only. The edge of the maple top will end up looking like binding, which is always appropriate on a thinline Tele :thumb:

Interesting scale length. One of the things that I like so much about standard Teles is their 25.5" scale.

Although I like long scale lengths in general, my 7 string is 27".

seedsbelize 04-18-20 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by big john (Post 21425013)
+1 I've broken nearly every rear wheel I've ever used except the ones currently on my bikes. My Seven is on it's 3rd different set of wheels after 6 failures with the previous 2 sets. My Gunnar is on it's 3rd (at least) rear wheel. Both mountain bikes have had rear wheels replaced. This has been a constant since I started riding road bikes in the 80s.

And I've never broken a wheel

kissTheApex 04-18-20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by abshipp (Post 21425626)
I'd say cover the top only. The edge of the maple top will end up looking like binding, which is always appropriate on a thinline Tele :thumb:

Interesting scale length. One of the things that I like so much about standard Teles is their 25.5" scale.

Although I like long scale lengths in general, my 7 string is 27".

The original plan was to cover both top/back and paint/burst the sides with matching metallic pink color while leaving the F-Hole as a natural binding a-la PRS.

I kinda envision the back would also look nice with transparent cherry tint, but am having hard time letting go of the original plan.

The scale is vintage Les Paul. I didn’t have anything in that scale, so went with that :)

Velo Vol 04-18-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425526)
Hey abshipp, I say the time is right for a paisley Thinline Tele

Hoo boy.

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21425656)
And I've never broken a wheel

Or chain. Or cable.

I did break a spoke once.

abshipp 04-18-20 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425659)
The original plan was to cover both top/back and paint/burst the sides with matching metallic pink color while leaving the F-Hole as a natural binding a-la PRS.

Oh that could work! I was imagining plain wood on the sides.

seedsbelize 04-18-20 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425659)

I kinda envision the back would also look nice with transparent cherry tint, but am having hard time letting go of the original plan.

The scale is vintage Les Paul. I didn’t have anything in that scale, so went with that :)

Family forum! Reported

datlas 04-18-20 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by kissTheApex (Post 21425489)
She’s still convinced USC is “the school” then?

She is. I don't necessarily agree, but from her perspective I understand her. It is clearly the number 1 school for her intended area of study (film), and it's also the number 1 school in the country for something called "student experience" I don't know that I give that as much weight but I can't deny it's the best school for film.

She already had an interactive online meeting with USC. She has an online discussion with a Temple film student later today, and we all have an online conference for students/families for NYU tomorrow.

We are going to have a serious family discussion about all the options sometime next week. Stay tuned. I hope we all end up on the same page.

It might be TMI, but one thing that DOES weigh heavily on me. My sister, who is 4 years older than me, got accepted to Tulane. She really was excited to go there. My parents told her that it was too expensive and too far. And she was told she HAD to go to our state school (Rutgers).

Sound familiar??

My sister was very angry and resentful about that for quite some time. She finally came around and accepted this but only after many years of anger. She told me recently that it's only been maybe in the past 5 years she really is ok with it, and I bet on some level she is still not happy about it.

That does weigh on my mind.

#FirstWorldProblems

Velo Vol 04-18-20 02:01 PM

Film making, right? I think it'd be good to really drill down on how advantageous it is to be a USC/NYU grad in that field. Is a degree from there that highly regarded? Are the connections that important? In short, is it worth the premium?

datlas 04-18-20 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by seedsbelize (Post 21425504)
I rarely get do do much hand-wringung. My four tubes came in, from Amazon. Schrader valves. Almost certainly the error was made by me when ordering. I don't want to mess with sending them back, but have only a couple rims drilled for Schrader. Valve grommets are fi dolla apiece. Any of you out there know of another way?

Sell them locally and buy the right tubes? I cringe at the idea of drilling your rims but that's the nuclear option.

datlas 04-18-20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Velo Vol (Post 21425687)
Film making, right? I think it'd be good to really drill down on how advantageous it is to be a USC/NYU grad in that field. Is a degree from there that highly regarded? Are the connections that important? In short, is it worth the premium?

She is most interested in the creative side of Film, writing etc. but she is very 18 and may change her mind. They say the experience and connections at USC (or NYU) are huge.

That said, I am confident that if someone is talented and hustles, they can possibly do as well as a USC or NYU grad. Probably. WTF do I know, I am just the father here.